10/19 List of Low Carb & Low Phosphorus Canned Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoyBee&Ravan, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@JoyBee&Ravan

Your subject line is dated 10/19 - Is this a new or updated list as of today's date or are you re-posting the list which was complied in 2016? The lists look identical, but I don't know if someone has verified that the values are the same today.

2016 list

If you're re-posting the same list, please note that it's from 2016. That way members will know they should double check to see if the nutritional compositions remain the same since the list is so old.

3. JoyBee&Ravan

I didn't see a date so I thought it was new. I was looking for low Phosphorus food for Ravan so I thought it would be helpful for anyone else that needed low Phosphorus.
    Is there an updated list? There's a lot of NEW cat food out there & it would be good to know.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

These lists become dated sometimes before or soon after they're posted/published. For example, Dr. Lisa's Food Chart was posted on the FDMB in March of 2017. Recently, someone was looking for the % of carbs in Crave, a new food that happened to be launched a few months later (July 2017)... so it isn't on the list.

Here's a tool from Dr. Lisa which may help you find foods low in phosphorus: Cat Food Data Base. Type in the percentages of minimum protein, maximum fat, maximum carbs, and maximum phosphorus you're looking for. You also have the option to choose a specific cat food company. This tool is pretty cool. It will automatically list the cat foods from her list that meet your specifications.

Another resource for information on low phosphorus foods can be found on Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease web site.

Hope this helps a little...

5. JoyBee&Ravan

Thank You. I'll check it out.:)

6. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I can confirm that's the 2016 list you have - I compiled it from Dr. Pierson's list. I did make an updated version when the list was updated in 2017 - that version is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nMBzt57Zi0PcAJ-gSt0NxrTyc3Twi7A0L8o2H2gGkoM/edit?usp=sharing At that point, I had no need of the list myself but hoped that it might help others. It hasn't been updated since mid-2017 as I simply don't have the time to contact all the manufacturers of newer foods (and often may not even be aware of the new foods if I'm not buying them for the cats here).

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

manxcat419 likes this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Omgosh ty for this!

manxcat419 likes this.
  9. JoyBee&Ravan

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    manxcat419 likes this.
Thread Status: