10/2 Rex AMBG 67 food question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mandy & Rex (GA), Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday had a good start.

I was surprised to see a 67 this morning because Rex woke me up, getting ready to vomit on my bed right by me! :confused: Luckily I got him off in time. We have hardwood floors upstairs so it's easier to clean than washing blankets! I thought for sure Rex would be high, due to the history of a cat (never know who) vomiting and Rex always being higher than normal afterwards.

Precious seems to be getting back to his normal self. I will give it a couple more days before trying raw again with him.

I need to seriously evaluate if my cats are getting enough to eat. With raw, I know about the 2-4% rule. But I kept forgetting how to do the math with canned. Keena is constantly hungry, it seems. He's not getting raw anymore. Rex relishes raw so he will stay on raw and I'm working on his weight. Anyone know the calorie calculation with canned?

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Rex. I hope the vomiting was a one time thing. I'm not sure about the math for canned food.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

The formula I use for calories is this : 13.5 times the ideal weight plus 70. So a 10 cat would be getting about 205 calories a day. If you kitty needs to gain weight use the ideal weight in the formula to makes sure he gets enough .

Has Keena been checked BW lately. And test his BG . If he's around 12 years year old maybe a thyroid panel. My Forrest was always hungry too and started losing weight, classic symptoms, just like diabetes.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  4. Mandy & Rex (GA)

That's what I thought with the formula, but I wanted confirmation. How do I apply that to the information on the can, though?

I tested Keena about 2 months ago when I was concerned with Tanner's weight loss. He was only 51 after me struggling to keep him from flopping and sliding through my arms (classic Ragdoll). I'll check later.

I don't need another hyperT cat .. 2 special needs cats are enough. :arghh: (Unless you count Keena with his sensitive stomach o_O) But that's a good point. I thought I'd start with making sure I'm giving him enough to eat.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

How come you took Keena off raw? Just curious as I’m feeding my two raw and never gave before. They are almost a year old and always seem hungry with raw. I’m not used to that but it’s been 20;years since young ones here and tgen I left dry out.

The food charts list the calories so if you are feeding enough I would check for hyper-t but hope it’s not so.

6. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Keena has a very sensitive tummy. When I switched to all wet, it took me longer to get him onto Friskies from Merricks that I was giving only as a treat before the switch. He is prone to vomiting if I change anything. When I decided to go raw, I gave Keena 1/2 tsp raw chicken with EZ mixed in with his food and he immediately vomited. I tried again later with 1/4 tsp and he got sick. Then I switched to raw pork and built him up to 0.2 oz raw mixed with wet and noticed he took a long time to eat it and needed a break. When I ran out of raw and had to do all wet for everyone for one meal, he happily dug into his wet food and cleaned his bowl within 3 minutes. When I prepped the next batch, I noticed Keena was interested in plain pork so I put aside a little to feed him instead of pork with EZ. He doesn't like the smell of EZ. I got him up to 0.5 oz raw mixed with wet. Then one day, he decided he didn't want it. When I gave raw/wet his next meal, he didn't finish it. Same for the next meal. Then I decided to go back to all wet, and he has been happy.

Rex is on all raw and he is not bugging me in between meals. Tanner was diagnosed with pancreatitis, which is why I decided to try raw. He's getting raw with 0.1-0.2 oz wet (he seems to want wet mixed in), but he's always hungry. Precious is good with whatever he gets. That's why I'm thinking perhaps I'm not giving enough wet to Keena.

I will check the food charts and see if it helps me. Thank you!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Raw is likely to be lower in calories than canned food. Some of the canned foods are pretty high in calories. Fundamentally, if you are using the formula you noted (It comes from Dr. Lisa's website) and your cat is below a good weight, increase the amount you're feeding. Just like with people, some cat's metabolize food more quickly than others and need more calories.

8. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Glad Rex gave you a quick warning before he threw up, but that's a horrible sound to wake up to :cat: Hope he stays nice and even for you today, lovely AMPS :D

9. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I can expect a bad AMBG tomorrow. :facepalm:
    Rex ate some dog food. I fed the dog and left the kitchen. Then I see Rex walking out of the kitchen, licking his face. :(

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sneaky Rex. Dog food is for dogs not cats. At least you'll know why he's high.

11. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Naughty Rex...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.