10/3 Smokey AMPS 537; +3 323; +6 250; PMPS 470; +3 380

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Olive & Paula, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So we begin the switch. He just had 1st dose of Lantus. I did go up a little from what vet suggested cuz of AMPS. Don't know if I like the short needle on 1/2 u syringes. He has such thick long fuzzy fur.

2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of Lantus!

I sure hope you can get Smokey's numbers in better ranges and you get as nice a result from Lantus as most folks do here.

Just a note- it's an odd switch from and "in and out" insulin like Vetsulin to Lantus. I'm assuming you've read the Sticky Notes on how depot insulins work? I know having used Vetsulin prior I got very confused shooting lower numbers because even though I had read the info, I just didn't have that confidence in knowing how the depot insulin worked.

I say this because of your comment about the AMPS - I am NOT a dosing advice giver in any sense but my reading tells me that Lantus dosing is (I think) calculated initially on ideal body weight and dose adjustments are made based on nadirs, or how low Smokey goes, with only some consideration to pre-shot numbers. It also works the very best with consistency. So basically throw out any sliding scale dosing you were doing with Vetsulin and if you have a question, remember to preface your thread title with a ? here -- there are some very experienced people here who have been invaluable help to me - you will love L/L Land!

ETA: You may want to put in your signature line if you are using SLGS or TRP - it just helps speed things up if you need advice.

3. Olive & Paula

I going to fix the signature when I boot up pc. It's to hard from the phone.

I sort if understand how Lantus works. Vet wanted to start at 1u his reasoning was valid but I don't want him to high nor to low and stressing/shocking his other systems in to short of time. Smokey takes 3 days to adjust to dose change at least with vetsulin. Right now I just want safe numbers then when he is consistent with that I will go further.

4. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Sounds like a plan! I hope you can find some joy with Lantus. He's a very lucky kitty you took him in :joyful::joyful:

5. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of Lantus! Lots of wishes for success.

Marilyn and Polly

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Pretty decent day for a first day on Lantus, but things will get better/even out over time as the depot builds.
    And we hold Lantus changes for at least 3 days to, so that won't change. We hold initial doses 5-7 days.

I too have a long haired girl, so I feel for the shots. I liked the Lantus syringes better because the needle was thinner than the Caninsulin ones but the shorter ones took a little getting used to. On this post on Testing and Shooting tips, I found the roll method of shooting helped me. We have another post here called Where Can I Find, that contains a lot of good links to other posts. I have that one book marked.

7. Olive & Paula

We hold initial doses 5-7 days.

I too have a long haired girl, so I feel for the shots. I liked the Lantus syringes better because the needle was thinner than the Caninsulin ones but the shorter ones took a little getting used to. On this post on Testing and Shooting tips, I found the roll method of shooting helped me. We have another post here called Where Can I Find, that contains a lot of good links to other posts. I have that one book marked.[/QUOTE]

That's what my vet said to give it 5 days of same dose regardless of how high he is. I will check out the tips.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.