10/6 - Lantus - Flash - Pre Shot Test Number - 62

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Flash's human, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Wow, so going from AMPS 600 to 62 in just a day seems a bit extreme, no? All I did was remove dry food from his diet for 1.5 days and this is the result? I know I have 20 minutes to basically think about this, but how can I give him insulin he has a 62? That is a normal level for a cat w/o diabetes, right? I have to think about this for a bit, anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Can't give you any advice but want to bump you up. You may want to add a ? to your thread to get more eyes on it. If it was me I would not shoot a 62, specially with the higher IU you are using...just my two cents.

Tucker12 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  3. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Did you test again to make sure it wasn’t a bad strip or something?
    I’m not an expert and hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, but I agree with Deidre. I think I would skip or at least a BCS ( Big Chicken Shot - one time very reduced dose)

4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help you with dosing but bumping you up! Some cats go into remission or become well regulated when all the dry food carbs are removed from their diet.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please let us know what you did!!!

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

How was that 600 tested, home test, at vet? Was a repeat done to make sure strip wasn't bad? Removing dry can drop glucose drastically but that much seems to much.

I think I would skip this dose as long as there is no history of dka, and next test might be a more accurate test to go on.

7. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Yes, agree, and I did and will test him later. So, the 600 is the highest my glucometer will go so I assume when I see a HI reported, 600 is relatively safe to consider.

8. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

He's been doing well today, loving life since I'm giving him turkey and treats while not pricking him for them :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I would be inclined to skip this dose. Obviously the high carb dry food has played an influence on his numbers and is now clearing his system. Please get some more tests...so you can see where his mid-cycle blood glucose levels are BEFORE giving any more insulin. We need to get a better picture of what he's doing without the benefit of any insulin...take a little time to figure this out before giving any more shots...better to be safe and see if he goes back to some higher numbers before deciding on a dose...

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  10. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Ok, while I did observe him closely today and gave him turkey and treats at various times, he went back up to 559 on PMPS, so I will be watching him closely and testing him before his next dose. No way am I giving him 5 again, he's strictly on 4 and maybe 3 if I can get him a little lower on his pre shot number. Today was really busy watching my boys in and out of the house while my wife did shopping at times. I'm doing what I can to get him somewhat normal before a surgery I have in november which will make it impossible for me to test him for awhile, and my wife isn't too keen on the idea of testing him while I'm not able to which I understand. So, between my 4 and 6 year old boys and the pending surgery, you throw in some plans along w/normal full time work away from the house, and it's a tricky thing to manage Flash's care at times. Still, it's time to call my vet and tell them what I've been up to even if they were against me testing him :)

11. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

201 for his +4 on the PM insulin, so I believe he still needs it, just maybe not 4 units anymore. I will of course see how he is in the morning, but to me he just "looks" better which is really good to see, though I will probably give him a bath in a couple days, lol, he loves those...not.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's still a pretty huge drop....I really think you should probably go down to 3U and see how he does for the next 3 days (unless he drops low again on 3U)

13. Flash's human

Flash's human Member

Ok, I get the logic in that, however since I'm not home during day to test him, I feel better w/say 4 during day when he's eating more to raise his blood sugar and 3 at night when he's mostly sleeping, that may work better for him.