11/14 River (AMPS 355, +3 501, +6 377) 3.6 mmol/L ketone meter

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Paigeworthy, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Yesterday's blues are today's…ugh, pink.

@Wendy&Neko, is this the fun you were referring to? :nailbiting:

Gave the girl one of her final doses of antibiotic (Flagyl) and another B12 shot this morning — first time I administered that one without red liquid all over her fur. (If you'd asked me a month ago if I would be giving my cat shots every day, I would have slapped you in the face.)

Have a great day, everyone!!

[​IMG]

2. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Also, yay! My blood ketone meter comes tonight — no more chasing River around every time I think she's headed for the litter box!

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Bouncing stinks! Love the coffee God slogan! And love the avatar with the collar on......

The ketone meter will make your life so much easier for sure. Bubba is quite private when he's in the box..........

4. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

River's just a stealth pisser. I can never catch her!!

Beth 73 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That made laugh and I can say that was also part of my problem too. :rolleyes:

6. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Just tested her BG again and she's at a 501. Losing my mind.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I need that caffeine God today.!!!!

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

She'll come back down to earth. Deep breathes! :)

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Did you give insulin last night? The units cell is blank on the spreadsheet. Assuming you did ;), she probably got down to blues again last night, more than enough blue time to freak her body out. Boing!:rolleyes:

10. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Yes, I did, I'm going to kill my husband brb

11. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Just cried through a Spin class, everything's great

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Take her trampoline away from her. Maybe then she'll behave! Seriously though, this is just part of the sugar dance and there is nothing you can do but ride it out. :bighug::bighug:

13. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Linda - the first few months can be very bouncy -nothing to get discouraged about - At least you know she can get into the blues. So it's just a matter of time and patience. You think this is fun? Wait until you start seeing lime green :D:D

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  14. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Once I can test her for ketones at will I will be much more comfortable being patient. Right now she is also drinking a lot of water and her appetite seems to be diminishing, but I can't tell if that's a function of her body starting to balance out with the insulin or her hurtling toward DKA again. I am a bundle of nerves. I am going to eat so much Thai food tonight.

15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

and you are so lucky to have all those great restaurants so very close from your front door

Paigeworthy likes this.
  16. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Yes ma'am!!!

17. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Well, that helped not at all…I just did River's first test with the NovaMax blood ketone meter and got a 3.6 mmol/L result. Apparently cat ketones start at 2.5 which means… :|
    Can I manage this with adding more moisture to food, making SURE she eats, keeping her insulin up?

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tonight will be the sixth cycle on this dose. If you don't see green before morning, I would increase to 2.0 units.

Have you talked to your vet about the possibility of doing subq fluids at home?

How is River acting/behaving/feeling today?

19. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Chatty, snuggly? Hovered around the water a bit more and showed less appetite than when we first brought her home, but I wasn’t sure whether to attribute that to her being on insulin or something else.

I haven’t. I honestly do not feel good about my vet and last time I talked to her she told me I NEEDED to hold doses for at least a week.