11/17 Quillan amps 504, +3-519,+6-474,pmps-403, +3-97!, +5-110

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MommaOfMuse, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well still screamingly high but still better than where we started when he first got home. His first night in his forever home the meter simply greeted me with HI (600 +), Yesterday morning it was 579, but if the reading I got at +6 was accurate then about 2/3 of his numbers today is a bounce off that free fall from 500 to 86 in 3 hours yesterday off the 1u so I have dropped him back to a starting dose of .5u and now to sit on my hands and wait for his shed to fill and him to destress and realize he is home forever.

He's not real happy about staying in his room at the moment but since he is so thin I want him to have access to food nearly 24/7 and to do that with my piglet Patches in the house then Quill needs to stay separate for the family for a little while although I will bring him out into the rest of house once he empties his dish this morning.

Really wish I would have had a camera handy yesterday when he met Punkin Pie they were both so cute together. Here was this giant fluffy orange cat going nose to nose with a teeny tiny fluffy orange kitten. It looked very much like one of those "Dear Kitten" commercials lol

I did discover yesterday that Quill is a sucker for brushing he will lay with you for hours as long as you have a brush in your hand. And if you stop before he thinks you should he will head butt you and then the brush until you start brushing again. And he adores raw chicken as his testing treats. Although he loves it so much that I have to hand a few bites over before I can catch an ear long enough to test it, and he's impossible to free hand with, which is the way I prefer to test, so for now until I get him use to being tested I'm using the device on him as I can go quicker.

I need to find something around the house as a size comparison and get a picture of those paws! OMG if he gains enough back to fit his feet he's going to be a giant! They are every bit as big around as a half dollar. I just can't get over what a great and sweet kitty he is, how anyone could have dumped him in a shelter to die is just unfathomable to me. He was clearly someone's very loved and pampered pet at some point in his life. As his manners and social graces are purrfect.

Mel and The Fur Gang

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Such a nice story this morning and hope he comes down soon for you. I love big kitties! It's heart warming that you have him now.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Nice way to start the day. Hope see more pics before he fills his feet.

4. MommaOfMuse

Not much of a food spike considering all he has eaten for breakfast. While not a great shot of him as it is very dark and stormy here this morning it does show off his huge feet. And how red he really is.

IMG_20151117_100055.jpg

Mel and The Fur Gang

5. Olive & Paula

He looks more like a lion than a cat!!! Do you know if he is Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest?

6. MommaOfMuse

Honestly I know very little about him but I suspect that he has either Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest in his family tree just by a lot of his physical characteristics. I adopted him from a kill shelter in Canada because being diabetic meant that they couldn't place him for open adoption, so once his time was up there he would have been euthanized. DCIN pulled him for me, and got the shelter to transfer ownership to me and then we arranged for him to make the trip from Canada to the US. I don't even know if he was picked up as a stray or if he was an owner surrender. I'm guessing he was a stray since he entered the shelter without a name, thus why they called him Georgi since he was in Georgiana ON Canada.

But after having several Maine Coons and Maine Coon mixes over 30+ years I would say he has a lot of one in his pedigree. Same ear tuffs, same furry hobbit feet, And that glorious bottle brush of a plume for a tail. Plus if he is this much like a walking skeleton and still tipping the scales at 8lbs he is truly meant to be a very large kitty.

Mel and The Fur Gang

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What a cute pic! He definitely has potential to be a looker. Are his front paws shaved? Neko's got one shaved at the moment and it does make her feet look bigger than they already are.

8. MommaOfMuse

Nope his front paws are completely furry, he does have a small shaved spot up on one wrist (about the same size as a postage stamp) that they were drawing blood from when they were testing his BGs at the shelter. But otherwise he has all his clothes on.

We just had our first roll in catnip and he didn't even mind sharing with all his new siblings. Now he is zoned out for his mid-morning nap on his fleece bed, covered in loose catnip and using his nip stick as a pillow. He's just so darn cute.

Mel and The Fur Gang

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

He sounds like such a sweet kitty. I hope his numbers settle down soon.

10. Olive & Paula

Such a shame Canada does that. Do they think they are totally unadoptable? It might take longer but to not even give them a chance........

11. MommaOfMuse

Apparently there is a law in Canada (or at least where he was) as well as several states in the US where if they have to be on medication for life they are deemed unadoptable. And in some ways I can see where that makes sense for the shelter's point of view when you are over run with cute, healthy kittens looking for forever homes and you pretty much run on a shoestring budget or donations then keeping, medicating and caring for someone that is chronically ill takes a toll on the funds and cage space that could be used for someone that could be turned over quickly. Thus giving them more space and funds to save those that are highly adoptable.

Now of course that makes no sense to us since we know that with proper care many of these extra sweet kids go into remission and off insulin altogether. And even if they don't they are so easy to care for and have just as long of a life span as their nondiabetic counterparts. Just most shelters don't have the funds or staff to manage a diabetic cat properly to even get them regulated let alone into remission.

Mel and The Fur Gang

12. MommaOfMuse

Boy I forgot how happy I can get for any number that isn't a 500s lol Looks like at least for now that he's going to curve like most of my other Lev kids have..Still guessing at this point but looks like onset is probably right around +5 which should put his nadir close to his next preshot.

Mel and The Fur Gang

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

When Claudia fostered Rusty from a shelter she felt the same way about him: clearly at some point in his life he was someone's dear kitty who had somehow gotten lost, or maybe abandoned, and wound up wandering the streets.

We are so happy to hear how well Quillan is doing for only having been home for a day. His picture is neat! Looking forward to more progress reports.

Ella & Rusty

14. MommaOfMuse

IMG_20151117_131627.jpg

The Sugar Boys Maxwell (OTJ 6+ years) with his dining partner Lady Jane Grey and Quillan Now you can see how much red he has in him when you put him next to Maxwell who is a true orange and white.

15. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Your news makes my heart is happy. Thank you. On so many levels.

Marilyn and Polly

MommaOfMuse likes this.
  16. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

So nice of you to save Quill. You have a big heart.:)

MommaOfMuse likes this.
  17. MommaOfMuse

Nice easy slide down for him today, we finished the day 100 points lower than we started and with this only his third shot at .5u bid in his new home I have my fingers crossed that he will settle in on it nicely.

See My big floofy tail? BTW the table his is lounging on is a 3ft square piece of marble. Yes he really is that big of a cat IMG_20151117_170435.jpg

Mel and The Fur Gang

18. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I could be looking at pictures of punkin . . . thanks for adopting Quillan and giving him a chance.

19. MommaOfMuse

Well looks like Sir Quillan has decided that even .5u bid is too much insulin for him. Just did the light's out test and I'll be setting my alarm clock to check him tonight, His pm +3 - 95!! And his shed isn't even close to full nor should he hit onset yet, not with Levemir. He's eating now and I'll check him before I turn in for the night and get up with him if necessary.

Mel and The Fur Gang

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

WOW!

Yo Quillan, Welcome to the Green Lagoon. Surf safe, man!:D:D:D
    ~ Rusty, LagoonMeister

21. MommaOfMuse

Oh but he is so gonna bounce like a rubber ball tomorrow. <sigh> But I also look at this as a very good sign that maybe he was a stress induced diabetic and he'll follow Maxwell and Cassanova to the Falls soon. (I tested 3 times just to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was...lol)

Mel and The Fur Gang

22. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

WOW he's a monster cat!! Only 8lbs?? Poor boy really has had it rough, but as we all know, the diabetes can really take the weight off them...I bet he'll be putting on the pounds soon (and a LOT of them!!)

He's absolutely stunning, Mel! Can't wait to see him when he's filled out and healthy again...he'll probably be even a deeper red!!

23. marniepaul & miles

marniepaul & miles Member

What an awesome boy! Good job, Quill! Once you get a little weight on, you are going to be stunning. I had a part Maine Coon for almost 20 years and still miss him dearly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.