11/21 Mačka AMPS 402, +5 206, PMPS 321 Lantus pen drama solved

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-new-lantus-pen-was-not-in-the-fridge.221927/

Small bounce for Macka today, from yesterday's nice blue curve.

Lantus pen drama update: I tried to buy a pen in the evening, found a pharmacy that had some in stock, but said my prescription said no refills (isn't it super ironic for a diabetic?).
    The only solution to keep using Lantus was to ask my vet to send a new prescription first thing in the morning.
    They just wrote to say ok, but also said they did not have a prescription for me originally (isn't that ultra crazy, since they followed Macka's diabetes since the beginning? Oh well).
    Luckily, I had enough drops for 4 units for this morning, but that's it. Vial is empty now.

After yesterday's nice curve, I was very hesitant to switch right away to Levemir, if we're finally having better results with Lantus. I did not want to mess up his numbers, if he's finally having good numbers. I'll switch after next pen, hoping that, by then, we will be regulated!!! Fingers crossed.

AmandaE likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Macka comes back down today. Crazy with the insulin.

AmandaE and Penelope and Mačka like this.
  3. Penelope and Mačka

+5 206. He clears his bounces so fast now!! :eek::eek::eek:

4. Penelope and Mačka

More Lantus pen drama: the pharmacist did not want to sell me the pen because the directions were 'only' Use as directed. She did not feel comfortable selling me insulin without more precisions like the exact dose etc... I said there can't be an exact dose, it changes all the time! And it's not the first time you guys sell me insulin anyway! I can't believe this is happening.

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

Can you ask your vet to call the pharmacist?

6. Penelope and Mačka

That's what I did. I can go pick it up after 2pm today, phew.....

7. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Ugh I’m so sorry, Penelope. I think it’s so ridiculous. IMO, Insulin is a life saving drug and sometimes you really need it in a pinch. Sometimes even an emergency.

I’m glad you can go pick it up at 2 pm today though.

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I mean... it's sold over-the-counter, no prescription or dose instructions at all, in Canada...

9. Penelope and Mačka

Yes, I know.... :/ I realized that in this country, people and organizations are so scared of being sued... I think it’s the only reason.

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh gosh...that's awful...but a pharmacy can lose it's license for dispensing anything that requires an Rx without it :( Even something as important as insulin - and where is the original Rx? No one seems to know??? Terrible...

Hope things improve for you soon and that you were able to pick up your pen this afternoon :)

11. Penelope and Mačka

I did pick up the pen. Now, since I had the other vial for 6 months, I am worried it lost its potency and I should shoot lower with the new pen, just in case.
    Has anybody done that before?

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm a little confused. Macka was in blue numbers yesterday. How could your insulin have lost it's potency if you got those numbers? Try to not drive yourself crazy. You're doing your best for Macka. Most of us have used a pen (or vial) down to the last drop and started with new insulin. Just monitor Macka's numbers if you're nervous.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  13. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

How frustrating trying to get the Lantus, but glad you were able to get it.
    Hey Macka, those blues you wore yesterday really looked good on you!

14. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you :bighug: I didn't mean all its potency, but some. The pharmacist told me yesterday that it's probable it lost 5-10% after all these months. But you're right and most probably I'm just nervous and it's going to be fine, all of the members here had to change vial at some point.

Thank you!! He's responding better overall to the insulin!

Jill & Scooter likes this.
  15. carfurby (GA)

When Furball was first diagnosed I got a vial and used it to the last drop. Insulin can last a long time if you take care of it.

16. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I doubt that - possibly if a human being were using it - but I've had insulin vials and pens that have lasted until every bit was gone - a year for the vial and at least that for pens - the pens go faster and I always keep it in the refrigerator except for when we're withdrawing the insulin. As long as you're getting better numbers of any kind the insulin IS effective.