? 11/29 - Bandit PMPS 59 - should I shoot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bandit's Mom, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi

My 11 year old female spayed tuxedo cat has recently been diagnosed as diabetic (a month back). Our vet wanted to try out Glipizide and we did that for a couple of weeks but to no avail. He suggested that we start her on Mixtard 30/70 (1 unit a day) but we convinced him that we would prefer to use Lantus since she is a graze eater and Lantus would be gentler. Her blood sugar was in the range of 330-420.

She presently weighs 10 lbs (4.6 kgs) and we started her on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day 3 nights back. We have not yet done a full blood glucose curve since we were waiting for her to finish a week on Lantus.

Bandit is a graze eater and eats through the night - usually does not eat anything during the day. We are still trying to transition her to wet food - she is a picky eater and does not take well to any change (in all aspects of life!). She is still largely on kibble but we manage to get her to eat wet food when she is quite hungry.

Her PMPS yesterday was 240 and today it is as low as 59 (she hasn't eaten anything all day as is the case with her since she only eats at night)!
    She has completed only 6 cycles (3 days) of Lantus (1 unit twice a day).

As advised on the forum, we have not given her PM shot and have fed her a meal. We will continue to check her sugar for the next 3-4 hours (its 8pm in our neck of the woods).

I wanted to know what we should do? Do we skip the PM shot and give her usual AM shot of 1 unit? She would have eaten all night (as per her MO).

Do we reduce her insulin dose from tomorrow?
    Is it possible that 1 unit a day would be sufficient for her?

Sorry to ramble on like this. Would really appreciate some advice.
    Our vet is a genius but I suspect he doesn't have too much experience with feline diabetes/Lantus

Thanks a billion
    Bhooma

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB. I notice you have 2 threads going so here is a link to the other.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-29-bandit-pmps-59-should-i-shoot.222283/

With a of 59 and given it appears there is no history of ketones or DKA I would suggest you skip tonight.

As mentioned, we are very data oriented here and without seeing what's been happening up till now it's difficult to provide a lot of info but since Bandit is eating dry food you would follow SLGS and that means no shot if BG at pre-shot is below 90. Even at 90 without much data available, we might recommend skipping. Right now I would suggest that you post for assistance if BG is 150 or less.

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi! Sorry. I posted 2 by mistake and couldn't figure out how to delete the duplicate. Please ignore this thread. Really sorry about this.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

No problem. I've put links on both threads so folks can see the info from both. The board can be a bit confusing to begin with so if you have any questions let us know. :)