11/30 Mačka AMPS 357, +4 351, PMPS 280 Dose increase tonight

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Penelope and Mačka, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...279-2-264-yellow-all-day.222167/#post-2483495

Macka has been in the pinks for the last week or so :(
    He's been having longer cycles too, ending up with lower pre-shot numbers, but all pink during the day and night.
    I've been increasing twice (4.25 and 4.5), with absolutely no result. He was having nicer numbers at 4.
    I'm bummed. Increases do not seem to work very much. At this point, I suspect something else is going on...

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I may have said this already??? But yep, it's time to add some 'encouragement' to his insulin dose.

Try not to look back at what dose worked before...it's about that pancreas and how much help it needs (in the form of insulin) to help Macka absorb nutrients into his system. Kitty pancreas' may or may not be helping along the way...it's not helping much at all right now, so you need to help him with another increase. You'll find the sweet spot sooner or later...he just needs what he needs now to get him moving and to help him get back to those healing green numbers - that we're all so fond of seeing.

Hang in there Penelope!

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  3. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Penelope, I encourage you to scroll through your SS and look at the change in COLOURS. Macka went from black/red to pink to pink/yellow and splashes of blue. It's working. Maybe not as quickly or as long as we'd like but Macka is getting there! :bighug:

4 units did look nicer but out kitty's bodies change all the time. So do ours. You held that 4 unit dose long enough to know it wasn't taking us to the goal of green.

4. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you both for your encouragements! The blacks and reds were with the Alphatrak. I think that we would still be there if I hadn’t switched to a human meter :( there was a slight improvement at some point, you’re right @Crista & Ming . But we are now retro pedaling for some reason! The only real improvement is infrequent lower pre shot numbers and longer cycles. Sometimes.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hang in there. It takes time. Sometimes our kitties stall out and we have to go back up in dose before we can go back down. :bighug::bighug:

6. Penelope and Mačka

Pmps 280, so we are having a lower pre-shot number once more. I’ll still increase to 4.75 tonight, right?

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Excellent job increasing Penelope. He needs more insulin right now, and that sweet little man will thank you for it by feeling better! We are cheering for blues to be common for Macka!! Once you see those, greens are next. Keep the faith that the right dose is coming:bighug:

8. Penelope and Mačka

Thank you! yes, I am hoping for blues again soon. It's scary to increase the dose so much, and him staying that high. I worry he might completely fall apart (ie lime greens) at some point, due to the high dose, once his body realizes!!

9. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Oh it doesn't work that way, thank goodness! Humans take Lantus, for example in doses from even less than 5 to 200+ units a day, depending on how insulin sensitive, or resistant they are. They need what they need, seriously! You'll see by his numbers when you need to start decreasing . . . the only way I see a scenario like you mention, would be if you just stopped checking his BG, and then one day he finally crashed, because you missed taking reductions!

10. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Whoa 200 units a day!!

11. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Things very seldom go the way we wish and at the speed we want !
    With Ti-Mousse I kept increasing and increasing; started very low and up to 8.5....:woot: with no results; thinking he was not responding and it was hopeless, but finally I saw greens and now I keep decreasing! Don't be scared to increase if this is what his body needs... just follow the protocol and test and you will reach the good dose!