11/7 Bailey AMPS 72 +2 99 +3 120 +5 104 +9 64 PMPS 65/62 +1 118 +2 109 +3 97 +5 5 75 +9 73

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rosie & Bailey, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Very nice Bailey.

Rosie & Bailey likes this.
  5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

You're using Calipers to micro dose? What kind of cat food is that? Soup ? Oatmeal?
    Bailey's getting some good Green & blue BG! :)

6. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Nice!!!!!! :D:cool:

7. Rosie & Bailey

I tried using the calipers, but I just couldn't see well enough to line up the syringe with the caliper. I started using a microscope, which helps a lot, but I was still messing up microdosing because the syringe markings are not consistent. The printing of the zero line is all over the place on these syringes.

I am now only using the ones where the zero marker is actually where it should be (about 1/2 of what I have left). I will try to see if I can fit the caliper under the microscope with the syringe, and use the calipers for the rest of the syringes that were incorrectly marked.

Hope my description of how I'm handling microdosing makes sense to you.

The soup or oatmeal is just my description for the consistency of Bailey's food when I add some water to it. I am experimenting with diluting the food to see how her BG responds. I am especially trying to avoid the large bounces.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  8. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I've been trying for 9 months to "avoid" the bounces! I've tried everything. If you discover something new please let me know.
    He's in a bounce now! He can have over 500 amps & drop to 50 by evening.

Every cat reacts to insulin differently. Some just hardly bounce at all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  9. Rosie & Bailey

Definitely!
    So far, my theory is that Bailey reacts very strongly to the insulin so even minor changes cause huge swings, hence getting the syringes figured out. Plus, I just remembered that @Tracey&Jones had mentioned a ruler that can be printed to assist with microdosing. I don't currently own a printer, plus I was traveling at the time, but I'm going to try that because I think it will be easier than the calipers.

My other angle is that Bailey reacts strongly to the MC and HC gravy so I am trying to be brave and not react so strongly when Bailey starts to drop. I would panic and immediately give gravy at 70 or 65. Now I won't give gravy unless she actually goes under 50.

In either case, it's all experimentation on my part. For all I know, I could be making things worse. If she stays in blues and greens, I'll assume at least one of my theories is correct. Either that, or it could be luck. I'd take it either way.

Bailey isn't as extreme, but she did go from 437 to 57 by PMPS +6. I tried to steer her with more water in her food, and patience with the gravy by only giving 1 drop, and she only bounced up into 204 after that. Maybe it was going to happen anyway, but I'll just keep throwing the spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

We will keep learning together, and hopefully our kitties will be off the the falls, or at least tightly regulated in no times :bighug:

JoyBee&Ravan and Sue and Luci like this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there Rosie! I just realized while micro dosing and using calipers to turn the syringe around without the markings visible to distract me and use the calipers there. It has really helped me some and I am seeing some progress. I think when the lines are visible that it influences my eye. Hope that makes sense.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Rosie & Bailey

That does make sense, and I can see that making it easier.
    I can try that and also the ruler idea to see what works best.
    Thank you for the suggestion!:bighug:

12. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Good job Bailey!

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is the ruler. Important Notes for using the ruler.

For use with BD Becton Dickinson U100 insulin syringes with the BD Ultra-Fineā„¢ Needle 0.3 ml 31Gx5/16" (8mm) with 1/2 unit markings. Print out this on A4 paper. Make sure you print "Actual size" and don't scale it.

https://www.diabetes-katzen.net/insulinruler.pdf

14. Rosie & Bailey

Thanks Tracey. :) I am using ReliOn syringes, but I think it can be a helpful to maintain consistency, even if the dose lines don't match precisely. Once I have the dose calculated with the calipers, I can match it up with the ruler and use the ruler for nightly dosing. I struggle to see the opening of the calipers lined up to the syringe, and it would be a lot of work to try to do it under the microscope twice a day. A printed ruler would make it much easier. Hope I'm making sense.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.