11/8 Yoyo AMPS 123,+2 126,+4 151, PMPS 279,+2.5 127,+3 68, +4 62,

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Debra and Yoyo, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Yesteday 11/7 http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...5-138-4-5-121-pmps-155-2-75-3-45-4-58.221396/

Day 7 @ 2.50 Units Lantus

Good morning everyone......Happy Friday, the weekend is upon us:)

I'm having problems feeding Yoyo while I am trying to find low phosphorous food and low carbohydrate foods. It is not an easy thing to find!
    I tried Weruva foods but he will not eat shredded chicken or vegetables in his food, he needs a pate food.
    I have thrown out so many cans of food yesterday trying to get him to at least taste the food...but nope!!

He is not eating well even with his original fancy feast food, so making this switch to lower phosphorous foods is not helping the situation.

If anyone has any ideas, please share. Also share what type of food that you use with a GRAVY when the BG numbers go low and your trying to keep the PHOSPHOROUS LOW too....thank you!!!!!!

Wishing all Kitties surf safely:bighug:

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Yoyo is not liking his food, I'm trying Darwins raw for both Andy and bella, Andy eats a little bella wont, have u tried dr elseys wet, I think its low phosphorus and I know low carbs, it's a pate and also merrick limited ingredient, they both eat that

3. Debra and Yoyo

Thanks for the food info...where can I purchase Dr elseys food? I never heard of it.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Yoyo is not eating for you. I don't have any suggestions. Maybe put food ? in your subject line. I hope you find something he will eat. :bighug::bighug:

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein wet pate - all my cats liked it! I ordered on Chewy and caught a sale, but haven't bought again only because of the little bit higher phosphorus. The phosphorus is barely over 1 - Jamie posted it before - it's considered low, but the Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken is .82. I chop up the chicken shreds and it works for us -- Yoyo doesn't agree it sounds like.

I would love to give Yoyo and Tina a choice AND the Dr. Elsey's is very LC, like 2 or less from memory (turkey) // (paw lickin chicken is 3.9 carbs). IF the phosphorus level is low enough though (???)
    Is Yoyo's actual blood phosphorus level high? Tina's continues to go down.

Good morning!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Bellasmom likes this.
  7. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Debra have you tried Glam 'N Punk by Weruva? It has some square chunks on the top but the rest is pate. I just squish the chunks with a fork into the pate. Leo's not crazy about chunky food so I always have to cut or squish. There's also Chicken Frick 'A Zee but again it needs to be cut or blended because it's shredded and Leo will only eat one serving and then refuses it so I just freeze the rest. Finding the perfect food is very hard, especially since these kitties are so finicky! I bought some Mediterranean Harvest for medium high carb 13% and FF with gravy if I need it for high carb.

BTW: Your idea of putting snow shoes on Leo was a good one but it didn’t work, he still managed to make it up the lemon tree! But he got a dosecrease so maybe that will give him some incentive!

Nice start on the beach Yo!!! :cool: Have a great day Debra, good luck finding food!

Bellasmom likes this.
  8. Debra and Yoyo

I tried the glam n punk, I hand fed him the food but he didn't care for that strong fish smell. The chicken frick a zee is better. I cut the shredded chicken up and made a mushy push out of it and scooped it into his mouth.
    Can you tell meore about Mediterranean harvest...flavor?
    Thanks Sonia for the help. I threw out so many dollars yesterday testing the food. I looked them up on some websites but they don't all show you what the food looks like. I saw wellness has a food line called indulgence morsels....it looks like some gravy is there with lower phosphorous levels. Have you ever tried their line of food-wellness?

9. Debra and Yoyo

Thanks Jan....his phosphorous level I think is either 4.4 or 4.5.
    I tried the weruva paw lickin chicken and it's too much chicken, nothing to let me scoop it into his mouth. He really doesn't eat at all by himself. Sometimes he'll eat the steak I give him for his low RBC but besides that it has gotten awful with feeding time.
    If Dr Elseys has higher phosphorous, that won't work. It is really hard especially also finding a higher carb with lower phosphorous for when he goes low.
    Hope your having a fun filled day.
    I appreciate your info. If you find out anything else,please share :bighug:

10. Debra and Yoyo

Thanks Carla, I'll try that later...thanks

11. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Debra - have you tried crushing freeze dried chicken (works for Tina) and spreading over his food? When Tina stops eating and looks at me, I'll put "chicken dust" on her food and she'll finish. FD duck works for some.

I also remember reading on Tanya's site that it's more important for CKD kitties to eat, than insisting on perfect phosphorus levels. That would be if they really aren't eating.

Tiki Cat Mousse is another possibility - need to look at specifics again, but it's generally lc/lp

12. Debra and Yoyo

Yes, thank you for the great advice about eating even if phosphorous is higher. I am so caught up in numbers my head is ready to come off.
    I just tried another tiki a minute ago. It is another fish, smelly, but it was easy to feed him. I know he didn't like it. I feel really bad.
    Nothing works to entice him to eat. He's a difficult one to get to eat.

13. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Debra, I misread your post and didn't get that Yoyo was not eating. Mediterranean harvest is fish based, higher carbs and higher phos. I would only use this one for when I need med carb. I did try Wellness core for a bit to change things up when I found he was not showing interest in his food but it gave him pudding poo, even the FF does that. I'm sticking to Weruva cause he eats it and his poos are good. Some are fish and higher phos but I drove myself nuts trying to find low carb, no fish, low phos. The Glam 'N Punk is lamb based not fish. Maybe you're thinking of Kawa Booty? That's fish. So the three Leo will eat are Kawa Booty, Steak Frites (low phos and carb but it's shreds) and Glam 'N Punk. They're the lowest carb, lowest phos that he will eat and does't cause pudding poo. Also in Canada, we don't have the widest assortment of food like you do in the US. Yes we can order on line but expensive if you're just trying different foods because most are sold by the case. Have you checked out the Weruva website? They're really good about describing the food and listing the nutritional facts. :bighug: https://weruva.com/cat-landing/

14. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Yoyo isn't cooperating at feeding time. I wish I had some suggestions for the low phos foods...but I don't. Looks like you've gotten a lot of great advice above.

Hope you and Yoyo have a pleasant day sorting out the food. I like the 'chicken' dust idea above. I use that stinky freeze dried salmon for the same thing...Luci loves that stuff...seems like stinkier is better in her opinion :)

15. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you Sonia.....and please you have nothing to be sorry about- you're just trying to suggest foods to me and I appreciate it very much:) ....The Glam "N Punk is lamb based but Tuna is next and then Duck. That tuna took over the can, it was smelly almost smelled like sardines. I wish Yo liked it cause it was like a pate.
    He did eat the chicken frik a zee by Tiki. I had to hand feed but at least he didn't gag. He really gags when he doesn't like what I'm offering him. I'll keep trying and I totally understand about driving myself nuts trying to find low carb, no fish and low phos. It is almost like it doesn't exist:banghead::banghead:....but I'll keep trying. I have to call Wellness because thier web site is confusing me with carbs As Fed and I'll ask about the Indulgence food and their Morsel foods.
    Hope Leo is doing well, I'm so busy discussing the foods I forgot to check his SS:woot:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  16. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry for you that Yoyo doesn't like his new diet! Zoe won't eat any Weruva and none of my cats will ; I tried almost all their different lines and flavors without success!

I'm trying different brands, keep opening cans and feeding leftovers to the feral cats outside....:rolleyes: For now, I mix a little of the regular food she used to like to some low P so she will eat; sometimes I sprinkle very little powdered Temptations on her food (which is not the best but she doesn't like freeze dried treats). I was looking at the Wellness Indulgence as a good choice for her but can't find any in Canada!:( Did you look up on Dr.Lisa's chart for Indulgence, the P could be OK but the carbs are High, unless we're not talking about the same thing!!

Don't forget they have to eat! It's better for Yoyo to eat regular food than not eating, specially for diabetic cats. Until you find something he likes, maybe alternate between regular and low P until the full transition can be done with something he likes!

I know it's not easy...:bighug::bighug: If I find something for Zoé, I'll let you know!

17. Debra and Yoyo

I looked at the Wellness Healthy Indulgence too. Carbs are 17% and the phosphorous is 116mg. That is good for when Yoyo goes low on the BG. I see that there is gravy in the pouch so I will buy some of that and see how it goes.

Their site has a PDF nutrient breakdown but I am confused with the As Fed % for Carbs and then on the same page at the bottom they have Kcalories carbohydrates % which is a higher number.
    How does one know which Carb % to use:banghead::banghead:.....the list also shows phosphorous per 1,000 Kcal ME which you have to convert into mg....confusing!!

Did you try Tiki Cat Chicken Frik a Zi(not sure of spelling)....it has shredded chicken BUT I could mush it all together and it makes a creamy base that I could hand feed Yoyo. He did not gag from that one! Smells really good too!

There is also a food called SOULISTIC....Petco sell it. Not sure if you have Petco by you? I have to get their phone number which is not listed on their site and ask questions about phosphorous and carbs. I emailed them, don't know how long until I hear back from them. I got that food name from a list I think that came off of Tanya's site for CKD. Carbs go from 3- 10%.

18. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Debra - you want the dry matter basis for your carb percentage.

Just an example from one of Weruva's lines. I used Grandma's chicken soup for HC today!
    Weruva nutrients

19. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m glad you took the dose back up. :):):)

If you look at the night you shot a BCS, his cycle was likely the same as it would have been with 2.5u but it resulted in a higher AMPS the next day. I’m just one of those that learned from Jill and Libby that shooting a reduced dose usually means the current cycle will be the same but the next day will be higher in most cases.

20. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

As-feds work just as well. Have you seen this post? :)

Debra: don’t pay any attention to the kcal of carbohydrates, etc. The numbers on their SS for the as-feds and DMB are not the % of calories from carbs. They are the percentages of ME in kcal/kg. Just ignore that. The as-fed and DMB values are used to plug into the calculations from the post I linked above to determine the % Calories from carbs.

I wish I could help but I feed balanced raw which is low in carbs and P and I have young cats. I have not kept up on canned foods.

21. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you!