12/14 Hogan (Day 2) AMPS 415, +3 449, +6 356, +9 368, PMPS 372

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hogan, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Hogan

Hogan Member

Hogan Day 1

His AMPS was without eating, I took his food bowls away at 6:45AM and then tested him at 9:20am. I just gave him 1.75U.

Three questions:
    1. Should I test at +3 today and then decide how often to test based on the +3 number? Or should I test sooner than the +3?
    2. I keep reading about DKA when the numbers are high. Should I be testing for ketones? I bought a bottle of strips, but haven't tried to figure out how to catch his urine yet. He seems his normal self so far.
    3. I have an AT2 and I've been using the strips that came with it. I also purchased the Insulinx strips from Amazon. When I did his AMPS test, I did one test with the AT2 strip (415) and one test with the Insulinx strip (445). I did not use the same drop of blood, there wasn't enough, so I pricked the same ear in another spot. I left the meter on the code it was on for the AT2 strips (37). Is there another code I should use? Or should I try again to test both strips on the same drop of blood?
    Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions, it is so appreciated. I found a store nearby that sells the freeze dried raw products, will go there when they open at 10am.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Can't help on the AT meter.

Keytones - yes. It isn't a bad thing to do every now and again. Does he have a history of DKA? Is Hogan eating ok? The recipe for DKA is usually - not enough food - not enough insulin - infection/inflammation. I have a metal soup spoon I use for catching it. I just follow him in and poke it underneath. Or you can take plastic wrap and crinkly it up and put it in the LB and see if you can catch some urine. It only takes a drop.

I usually test +3, some like the +2. All data is good data. You may want to test every three to see what his pattern is today. Especially with those greens yesterday. That number looks like a bounce number and it would be nice to know how soon he clears those bounces.

3. Hogan

Hogan Member

Thanks. I will try balling up some plastic wrap and see if that works. He does not have a history of DKA. He has been eating, but he doesn't "love" his new food, so he's definitely eating less. But it's much higher in calories than his old food, so he probably doesn't need that much.

He was very hungry this morning while I was withholding his food for the AMPS. I put down his food while I was prepping his insulin, and he ate a little. As soon as I give the insulin injection, he just sleeps for the next 3 - 4 hours, no interest in food.

4. Hogan

Hogan Member

I just tested at +3 and it was 449. He just ate some of the Dr. Elseys dry food. Should I just be patient and keep testing?

p.s. I managed to test the same drop of blood with both the AT2 strips (449) and the InsulinX strips (469), so the InsulinX strips are definitely reading higher.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

With meter variance being up to 20%, that isn't much different.

I think he is in a bounce. So the data maybe limiting in the sense you may not see a nadir today or the numbers may seem wonky but....all data is information. Maybe try a +6 and +9 and see what he does. Sounds like he is tolerating the testing well enough!

6. Hogan

Hogan Member

He's stayed high all day. Are those normal numbers if this is bounce? I'll do the PMPS and then give him 1.75U?

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes those are normal numbers for a bounce. SOme kitties clear bounces quickly while others can take several cycles. Since Hogan had a BG of 79 yesterday at +7, he earned a reduction which you could have done this morning. No harm, but tonight you would shoot 1.5u (a 0.25u reduction). :)

8. Hogan

Hogan Member

I thought I did reduce him .25 yesterday? I started at 2.0 in the AM yesterday, and then I gave him 1.75 in the PM yesterday. Then I maintained the 1.75 today. Should I have given him 1.50 instead? Sorry, I'm still learning :)

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes you are right and I goofed up. :facepalm:. Not sure what I was thinking. :rolleyes:Good catch! So yes you can give the 1.75u tonight. Get a +3 again if you can to see where Hogan is heading before you go to bed.

10. Hogan

Hogan Member

Thanks, I will definitely do that. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice and you taking the time to look things over.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.