12/17 Boomer AMPS 101 +3 86 +6 74 PMPS 92

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 101 shooting .5u
    Happy to see his BG come down, I guess it was stress from the fluids/vet ass't that drove it up although last night he obviously was not feeling well.

I couldn't get him to eat at PMPS so I didn't give a shot. I figured his stress-induced higher BG would be back down but at +3 it was higher and I regretted not shooting something. I got him to eat a wee bit at +3. He was sleeping on the end of our bed and I fell asleep briefly, when I awoke at +4.5 he was missing....I found him laying on the couch. Spent a few minutes petting him, spread his blanket out beside him and went btb. Of course I laid there awake so half an hour later I was up checking on him again; he had moved onto the blanket. Spent a few minutes with him then I went btb. Close to +6 I had a thought....open a fresh can of tuna to get the juice (because the juice was gone out of the existing can). When he heard me opening the tuna he jumped down and almost ran into the kitchen. Back and forth rubbing up against me. Tail shaking. Obviously hungry and excited. Put juice on ff....nope wouldn't eat it. Tried another food. Nope. Finally gave him some tuna and he ate a bit of that. Tried some chicken pieces....well I did get 4 pieces into him but meanwhile he was head butting the chicken pieces (?) and got bits all over his head :rolleyes: I told him they needed to be in his face not on it to do any good:rolleyes:

He didn't want to eat again this morning; tried every kind of food that's in the fridge/cupboard. High carb, low carb, new food, old food, tuna....yes he ate a wee bit of it. Chicken pieces...nope (I'm currently poaching him a new piece). I shot .5u then syringe-fed some food into him. I was stupid enough to run out of mirtazapine so will be picking some (or an alternative) up this morning. Will also try to get the ingredients for the liver shake but as far as I know our closest health food store is in the mall and I'm not sure I can get there....DH has a couple of commitments today and someone has to be here with Boomer. Maybe I could try it without the kelp powder; the rest of the ingredients I can get easily.

I'm very worried about him. Hugs, vines and suggestions are always appreciated.

2. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines your way. It is very difficult when they don’t eat enough. :bighug::bighug::bighug: What about an abdominal ultrasound?? Maybe there is something eluding the bloodwork panel. :(

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Judy and Boomer

I offered him some freshly poached chicken and he ate it out of my hand.
    He's on his desk now so I've left him with a small serving of ff laced with fortiflora and a couple of chicken pieces.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 and Judy and Boomer like this.
  5. Sandra And Buddy (GA)

Sandra And Buddy (GA) Well-Known Member

Saddens me that he is having such a hard time. Hugs to you and Boomer. :bighug::bighug:

6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So so sorry that Boomer is continuing to have no appetite. Cypro worked best for Shoes when he would have little appetite. I hope this turns around soon for Boomer!

7. Judy and Boomer

DH is picking up mirtazapine this morning. Vet assistant didn't know of any alternative but Dr Larry was not in yet to ask. Also asked about Ondansetron and vet assistant doesn't believe they use it but I asked her to ask Dr Larry about it and whether there was somewhere else I could pick some up.

8. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I would speak directly to Dr Larry about the cypro. It's pretty commonly used in the US, but maybe not in Canada?? Ondansetron is a "human" medication, so Dr Larry should be able to call it in to a regular pharmacy for you.

I know you mentioned the other day that he sounded noisy when eating. Could he be having a dental issue?

Continued hugs,vines, and prayers from us....

9. Amy&TrixieCat

10. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Amy. I will send him the article.

AmandaE and Amy&TrixieCat like this.
  11. Judy and Boomer

+3 86 and mirtazapine given

12. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Aww Judy, you must be going crazy trying to figure out what's going on, I hope the mirtz works and Boomer eats.
    Come on Boomer we're worried about you. :(
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Are you giving cerenia on a regular/consistent basis? If not, that is something to try/talk to Dr Larry about. One thing about appy stimulants: if a kitty is still nauseated, he may want to eat because of the stimulant, but won't because the nausea is preventing him from doing so. And, it's easier to stay ahead of nausea rather than play "catch up" once nausea has set in. There is old info out there about giving cerenia in short bursts, but that info is now out of date. It's safe to give it daily indefinitely. If you can add ondansetron to your arsenal, it can be used in conjunction with cerenia - they can be used at the same time.

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cyproheptadine and ondansetron worked well for us too. Has he had an ultrasound recently? Has he been tested for pancreatitis? Vines.

16. Judy and Boomer

Well it's been almost an hour since the mirtz. and he's awake but no attempt to come find food. So the food went to him and he's eating.

17. Judy and Boomer

I only gave the cerenia once. I gave him a mirtz. about an hour ago and he ate a bit just now, should I give a cerenia now?

18. Judy and Boomer

No to the ultrasound, yes to the pancreatitis
    Spec fPL b 5.7 normal is 0 - 3.5 μg/L His last test in March 2018 was 6.8 so the recent test was a better number o_Oo_Oo_O

19. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I think I would give cerenia daily for awhile. It also supposedly helps with any inflammation.

There is also a new appy stim called Entyce. I don't know anything about it though. Some say zrytec works for them. That could help with congestion and appy.

20. Judy and Boomer

Giving a cerenia now at +4

Sonia & Leo and Amy&TrixieCat like this.
  21. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It sounds like there has been some eating since you first posted...I sure hope he'll continue to snack a bit along the way there Judy. I'm worrying about him now too! His numbers look so good...I just wish he'd get that appetite back!

Sending you 'hunger vines' and more hugs! We'll keep the prayers and vines pouring in your direction - it sounds like you and Boomer need them!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Sue! There has been a bit of "nibbling" but that's about it.

23. Judy and Boomer

Finally had an email from Dr Larry so I called and spoke with him.

1. Cypro.....he indicates that's all they had available as an appetite stimulant for the longest time and it was "unreliable" and mirtazapine is much better but he did say that he could write me a script for the cypro.

2. I had asked in the email if I could give mirtazapine regularly every 48 hours or should I try to wait until as close to the 3 day mark as I could.....he said that I could give it daily if I needed to

3. I asked "IF this is pancreatitis, is this the way its going to be for the rest of Boomer's life"? His answer....no it doesn't need to be and perhaps a day at the vet on IV fluids to flush the enzymes out of the pancreas could help and that could be the ongoing treatment whenever Boomer needs it.

4. He suggested kitten food, pureeing his food, or giving something very aromatic like KFC or deli chicken. I told him about the liver shake and that I was going to try that.

5. He reiterated that he thinks there may be something else going on with Boomer and suggested X-rays and an ultrasound.

6. I told him that Boomer's appetite did seem to pick up a bit at specific times and I wondered whether it was when the bupre. was kicking in (I've been giving it at PS) and perhaps I should increase to 3 doses per day. He said he doesn't like Boomer being on it constantly but I could try it for a short time to see if it can get him eating again.

7. I told him the only things I could get Boomer to eat were tuna and chicken and I was concerned that he wasn't getting the nutrients that he needed, specifically taurine. He said it's not an issue on a short term basis.

AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  24. Amy&TrixieCat

I would get the cypro to try...it certainly can't hurt and since ECID, it might be what Boomer needs.

Trying the daily cerenia may be a good thing to get things going, too...I would absolutely try that. If he's nauseous, no appy stimulant is going to work. And as Paula said, it does have anti-inflammatory properties that can help if his pancreas is inflamed.

Did Dr Larry say anything about ondansetron? That can be useful, too. Cerenia and Ondansetron work differently: cerenia is geared more towards anti-vomiting, and ondansetron is geared more towards anti-nausea. That's also why the work well together.

One other thing I forgot earlier: Back when Trix had her second p-titis flare up, our vet told me that they've recently learned that about 50% of p-titis cases are actually caused by a bacterial infection. So, and antibiotic may be beneficial, too...something else to discuss with Dr Larry.

And, just another thought back to his teeth: if something is going on in his mouth, maybe the bupe is helping with that, and that's why his appy seems to pick up after using the bupe??

25. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Actually the number does not have any correlation to how bad they feel according to the literature and I can say with Max as well. Amy has some good advice.

26. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Amy.
    I believe he told me that the ondansetron is a very strong drug used for cancer patients? I may not have the right one.....this is why I like email instead of phone conversations
    The cerenia was prescribed for every other day but I will ask Larry about every day use. I will also ask about an antibiotic. The thing is...he's not convinced these problems are because of p-titis.
    Re Boomer's teeth....Dr Larry did look in his mouth and didn't notice anything but of course there could be something that's not visible. Boomer did have a dental at the end of May.

27. Judy and Boomer

Thank you....I was wondering about that!

28. Judy and Boomer

Boomer will spend tomorrow with Dr Larry; he will have IV fluids all day which will hopefully flush enzymes out of his pancreas.
    I've made the liver shake (I think if I were sick the sight of it would make me hurl). I thought Boomer was actually going to drink it but he didn't....at least not yet. I've left some in a bowl for him. Meanwhile, I bought some perfect bistro kitten food and he actually ate it and then ate another serving of it. I couldn't find any baby food that was strictly meat. I did pick up a couple of different foods for him though as well as some canned tuna. I also picked up canned flaked ham.....is this ok to give him?

29. Amy&TrixieCat

Ondansetron is a strong anti-nausea med that is used for cancer patients (human and furry). It can be dosed for cats, though. I did use it with Trix (and some other cats), and others here have used it as well.

There is old-school thinking on Cerenia that is still out there, but it is safe to give daily. I'm a little rusty, but I do remember hearing that it wears off in less than 24 hours.

It's so hard to figure out what causes these types of issues. Maybe Dr Larry will have some ideas after spending the day with him tomorrow. I'm glad Boomer at the kitten food! I don't know the answer about ham...hopefully someone else will!

30. Amy&TrixieCat

Also...there may be something else going on and considering investigating that is not a bad idea. At the same time, p-titis can be either acute or chronic, so I wouldn't necessarily rule that out, either. If only they could talk.....

31. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I like Dr. Larry’s idea (and Charlotte’s mom) of the ultrasound. It would help to know if this is just pancreatitis.

I am a strong believer in ondansetron. It is expensive in Canada, go generic, but worth it. Neko was on both Cerenia daily and ondansetron a couple times a day. They target different nausea receptors, so one or the other or both may be better. For dosing, and showing it is more than just for cancer, here is a link to an article about using it for CKD cats : http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ment-of-feline-chronic-kidney-disease.156005/

You do want to give an anti nausea before giving an appy stim.

Many vines going your way for Boomer.:bighug:

32. Judy and Boomer

Thank you everyone for your vines, prayers, suggestions, recommendations, and opinions! I appreciate them all!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Boomer has had a reasonably good day and has been active and eating bits throughout the day. He's had a couple of cuddles with Daddy Bean and even sat on my lap for a while. Now he's sitting on top of the couch and reading this condo over my shoulder :rolleyes:

DH has gone out to see his granddaughter's play; apparently she has lead role. So Boomer and I had an early dinner (deli chicken, a suggestion of Dr Larry's which both Boomer and I enjoyed) and I'm really hoping that I can get him to eat at PMPS.

Boomer's going to spend the day with Dr Larry tomorrow for IV fluids hoping to flush out any enzymes that might be causing pancreas issues. He won't be impressed but it is what it is. Have to take him in for 10:00 (+3). I will likely give insulin tomorrow but not sure how much. I'll be able to test at +2.5 before we take him in and I can get them to test since he likely won't eat any food while he's there.

Sonia & Leo and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  33. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Vetty vines for sweet Boomer, I hope the vet is able to get some answers for you tomorrow and that Boomers appetite picks up soon

thinking of yas!

34. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 92 shooting 1.0u
    He ate about half a small serving of perfect bistro kitten and then he had a bit of tuna and 3 pieces of deli chicken.

35. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more vines for sweet Boomer! I hope his day with Dr. Larry is just the thing. Thank goodness he's getting in some nibbles so that you don't have to worry about fatty liver developing on top of whatever else is going on. And glad he's getting the extra kitten food calories. :bighug::bighug:

36. Sonia & Leo

37. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Definitely can use cerenia daily as it does have anti inflammatory properties as well as anti vomiting. You do need to stay ahead of the nausea to have any luck with an appetite stimulant. I would really consider an abdominal unltasound to ruleout any gi issues (which can be painful and suppress the appetite). How are the stools? I know they are probably less but are they normal color and size?? Gelatinous etc? Sending healing vines!! I know it can be stressful to you as the CG. Remember, you are doing a great job with Boomer. Hopefully the iv fluids will help but I would still have him show you how to do sq fluids at home. It’s really easy and doesn’t hurt them.

38. Judy and Boomer

Oh crap.
    +3 43
    I gave syrup. But he wouldn't eat. Tried pulverizing higher carb food so that I could syringe it into him. It wouldn't pulverize. Tried a spoonful of the gravy....yup he took that from a spoon. Added a few chunks which he took. A couple of pieces of deli chicken (although i had to warm it up for him :rolleyes:)

39. Judy and Boomer

Yes, I do know how to; I've done it with 2 cats prior to Boomer. Just wanted the vet ass't here yesterday as it was the first time with Boomer.

40. Judy and Boomer

+3 43 syrup and high carb
    +3.5 76
    +4 72
    +5 59 got him to eat a bit of high carb and some kitten food by warming them up
    +6.5 79 and he ate some kitten food

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  41. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Hopefully Boomer will stay on the upward trend for your sake. :)

42. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

43. Judy and Boomer

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  44. Sonia & Leo

Vetty vines for Boomer. :bighug::bighug::bighug: