12/20 Titan AMPS 168, PMPS 120, +3.5 116

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MyTitan (GA), Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Titan 12/19.

Good wintery morning to all LB scoopers. Titan dipped into the lagoon last night which was a pleasant surprise. Probably getting close to a PJ party and earning another reducie. The following is a response to @Wendy&Neko to a thread we started yesterday about Titans weight/skinniness. [ Titans blood work was all fairly normal back in July when this trek started. He is due for a checkup in January and I will ask for a complete panel at that tyme and discuss his weight loss. Paula is in slight panic mode because he is not "bulking" up. I'll post the January tests and Julys if I can find them or get them from vet. As for food he gets 1 and 1/4 can of Core/DM (5.5 oz) spread out over 4 feedings plus usually a quarter spoon of FF or Weruva as a treat after poke or shot. ]

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice green surprise! Let's see some more, Titan!

3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried increasing the food amounts? There's another acro cat @saltycat who is eating 23.5 oz a day and is still skinny.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see that green. I hope you see more today.

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm sorry he's having trouble putting weight on. Can you just feed him a lot more? Or will he not eat? I got a pound on Asia that she had lost from just feeding her on demand as much as she wanted (and now I have to cut back because she doesn't need to gain any more). Hope you figure something out to fill him out a bit.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, but Jack has some GI or other issue going on causing poor absorption. That isn't normal. Neko ranged from 13-14.9 (never over 15!) lbs, and ate either 5.5 oz when eating canned food or 1/4 lb (4 oz) of raw per day.

Sounds like Titan is getting a decent amount of food. You could increase a tiny bit and see if it makes a difference. Do you have an idea how many calories he's getting per day? The Core are around 150-160 per can so that just under 200 calories per day. Plus whatever pokie treat foods. You might be able to bump the calories up a bit, and see if that helps. Growing boys just need a bit more food.

A complete senior panel, maybe even the Texas GI panel might be a good idea in January.

Nice start this AM.:cool:

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  7. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Like Wendy mentioned calories per can can play into it. Some are around 100, some closer to 200 cals per can.

I just had an IM vet visit and another possibility is not enough pancreatic enzymes to digest the food properly, of course there can be multiple different reasons for weight loss when getting enough calories.
    The GI panel did help rule out some possible causes and was a good test in my case.
    I asked about feeding and the response was basically "as much as they need to maintain weight/get to a healthy weight"

Are you tracking weight at home? I found it gave a rough idea of where his weight was headed. A big pee or poop can swing the numbers a bit, but the overall trend is helpful.

Hope you get some resolution on the weight issue. It can be tough doing so much and seeing them still lose weight.

8. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

In response to @Wendy&Neko and @saltycat , I'm also wondering if the big change in diet once DX with FD . He was getting foods for his urinay issue after PU surgery to help keep the tract open. Dry kibbles from Royal Cannin (S/O) soaked in water to keep his water intake up (peeing) and canned food from Hills (CD). Approx 1/2 to 3/4 of his diet was the soaked dry kibbles. I'm wondering if the sudden change to a low carb diet also affected him??

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, going on the Catkins diet can make a difference from his previous carb diet.

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.