12/21 Champ is in the hospital

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patty & Champ, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I usually get up around 4 a.m. on weekdays because of work and I'll give Champ a spoonful of zero carb food (Fancy Feast Shrimp and Fish) to tide him over until feed-and-shoot time at 7:00. On Friday, I didn't have to get up until 6:00 so, of course, Champ was at my bedroom door yelling at me to get up and give him his snack. I walked into the kitchen to do my usual routine of starting the coffee so it will be done after I feed, shoot, and brush my teeth. As I turned from making coffee toward the other end of the kitchen where cat's "diabetes and feeding center" are located, I noticed him on the kitchen table, chewing on a leaf from a lily that my daughter had received from her cousin a couple days previously when she graduated from college. At the time I put the lilies, along with the roses I had gotten her, in a vase, I thought to myself, "I think I've heard that lilies are poisonous to cats. I better check that out." Then, because of lack of sleep and being pulled in a thousand directions with work and family visiting in town, I forgot to check it out. As soon as I saw Champ chewing on the leaf, I remembered. I gave him his snack and then went to my computer and goggled "Are lilies poisonous to cats." Well, guess what? Not only are they poisonous, but every part of the lily is highly toxic, including the pollen which could have been falling on the tabletop for him to lick off his feet when he cleaned himself. I then looked up how to make a cat throw up. I gave him three teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide using a medicine dropper and waited. Sure enough, he threw up. I found pieces of plant material in it, but how was I to know if he would be alright. The thing with lily poisoning is that as soon as they show symptoms, it's almost impossible to save them. I called the vet's office as soon as they opened at 8:00 and they told me I have to take him in and have him admitted. I explained that with my daughter's graduation, Christmas, and the requirement I purchase health insurance for myself all coming at the same time, I HAVE NO MONEY. My vet said Champ HAD to be admitted and he would set up a payment plan for me. They gave me the printed estimate yesterday and it's $1,200. It's going to take me a year to pay this off!! Champ has been going to this vet office since I got him as a rescue when he was a baby so I'm glad they did this for me. I visited Champ last night, right before they closed up, and he was scared, but at least I knew he was where he needed to be. This vet office isn't staffed 24 hours a day, but since Champ isn't critical, just on continuous fluids and having his vitals and labs checked throughout the day, I felt okay with it. I had them decrease his insulin from 1.5 units twice a day to 1 unit because I know they won't check his BG's as often as I would throughout the day and not at all at night. I gave them his food so they won't feed him anything else and asked them to space out his feedings, but last night they just gave him the entire can at one time and, of course, Champ ate the whole thing at once. He's going to be at the vet's until Monday morning when I should be able to pick him up. From what the vet told me, when a cat ingests any little bit of a lily, they will get sick. If not treated, they will die. It's that toxic. Their kidneys and pancreas will shut down. Because Champ is diabetic, it is more imperative that he be treated because his kidneys and pancreas are already compromised. 90% of cats with lily poisoning will see an elevation in their creatinine levels and then it will start to decrease, which means they will be fine. The other 10% don't make it. I'm PRAYING Champ is in the 90%. His creatinine has risen, though not alarming as of yet (I'll get today's lab results soon), so we'll be watching to see if it comes back down. Thankfully, he just had his blood work done in May so we have a current reference point. Any and all prayers for my baby, Champ, would be much appreciated.

2. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and positive vines for Champ. Calming vines for you, Patty :smile:

3. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We have all paws crossed for 90%. :YMHUG:

Attached Files:

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. Lilies should have a red warning on the cellophane packaging somehow.
    I am sending strong prayers that Champ makes it just fine. (((Hugs))) Healing Vines being sent.

5. MrZ

MrZ Well-Known Member

Patty, I'll be praying for your precious little Champ. I am so sorry you and Champ are going through this. I hope you continue to get good news and that the vet will proclaim Champ "in the clear" and discharge him to be back home with you again soon.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm sending al sorts of get well vines to your Champ. I'm so glad you didn't delay and got him in.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and Champ.

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Patty, this is so scary. I'm glad that you acted quickly and will be praying that Champ is in the 90% and will recover completely.

For future reference, the ASPCA has a 24/7 Poison Hotline. This is a good number to have on your phone: 888-426-4435.

Hugs,

Ella & Rusty

p.s. Stu would eat any flower or plant he saw. We had to prohibit people from bringing us flowers!

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Patty)))

I'm so glad you did all the things you did with the expediency you did them with. Sending tons and tons of prayers he is in the 90% and all will be well. Also sending Champ healing vines.

10. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Patty, you have to be so scared for Champ. Please think of all the cats that have chomped on lilies, and survived to tell about it.
    Let's think positive, and with all the prayers coming from your LL friends, Champ will be one of the totally healed kitties.
    Lots of prayers coming your way, Champ!

11. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Patty, Barb was sweet enough to call me and notify me of what you two are going through .. just about three years ago Peter brought me home flowers for Valentines Day .. Lillies and roses .. I knew that twix would get into them while I was in the shower so I set them on top of the fridge, instead of the kitchen cabinet without really thinking things through .. When I got out of the shower, I walked to the kitchen and saw a leaf from the flowers on the counter .. Twix had jumped up onto the counters and ON TOP of the fridge!! I wasn't sure if she had any flowers in her at this point but I googled just what you did and saw the same results .. I started panicking and called the vet .. When I talked to the receptionist she said she would call me back after talking to the vet .. I was reading more and more about how serious this can be and I knew I was taking her to the vet regardless what they said .. Just as we were walking out the door, the vet called and said get her here ASAP .. Thankfully, the vet is only about an 8 minute drive from here and my SIL got us there in 5!

So, the vet did some initial bloodwork and all looked good, but since it had only been less then 15 minutes all together, she said that she was going to give her charcoal to absorb any poison in her system and that we would go from there .. So, she got the charcoal down her and sent us on our way .. When twix got home, she threw up all the charcoal including a beautiful white, in tact, lily petal! ohmygod_smile I called the vet and they said to bring her in the next day, or sooner if symptoms showed up .. Thank our stars they did not, and for the next five days we took her to the vet for fluids ..

Like I said, that was just about three years ago and twix is doing fine .. So I have high hopes for Champ and sending out tons of prayers all will be well with him (((hugs)) Just hang in there and give him lots of extra luvins from us!!

P.S., I've instructed peter to never ever bring me home flowers again .. That darn bouquet cost us just about $1000.00!!!

Attached Files:

12. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Patty - many hugs for you, and many many positive thought for Champ. You were proactive and got him there right away. I think the prognosis is good for Champ. Hang in there. I will be thinking of the both of you. Be well Champ!

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Any updates on Champ?

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow...Good thing you thought to go ahead and check online instead of thinking you'd check later and relaxed!

Will be praying for the 90% along with the rest of LL and I'm sure Champ will come through fine!!

Hopefully he'll be home with you on Monday and you'll enjoy the holidays together

15. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

((((Patty)))). I am so sorry Champ is sick. Healing vines for the big guy. Wish I was there to give you a huge hug.

16. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, Patty, I just about freaked when I saw your subject line! I am so glad you knew to act so quickly, and that Champ seems to be doing well. I'm sorry about the big bill, but he is so worth it, and it is wonderful that the vetty is working with you on that. Sending tons and tons and tons of prayers your way. Please keep us posted as you can!

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Oh Patty! Sending snowflakes and healing vines for Champ! Kudos for acting so quickly!

[​IMG]

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Keeping Champ in our prayers.

19. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Thanks all of you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers!!! It makes me cry (happy tears) to see you all care so much for my Champers!! I went to see him earlier this afternoon and his blood work is looking really good. He, however, was just a mass of scared kitty. They have a room for me to visit him. They bring him in with his IV fluids on a rolling pole and he just acts terrified. I wanted to take him home so bad. The vet techs aren't feeding him the way I asked, but I know they can't cater only to Champ so I DO understand. They told me his blood sugar this morning was 362, but I only gulped. The vet said it's not often a cat has his diabetes as well regulated as Champ so being high for a few days won't hurt him. If he only came on this board and saw how great you all have your cats regulated....he'd be amazed!! The on duty vet tomorrow isn't Champ's regular vet, but used to be before I realized her knowledge of feline diabetes was outdated and I switched to another vet in their practice who is the director and has much more up-to-date info. She's awesome otherwise. She's supposed to call me to let me know if I can visit even though their offices are closed (people work on Sundays taking care of the animals, but no appointments are made). I'm going to ask her if his blood work is good. If it is, and it's his third day, I'm going to see if she'll let me bring him home so he doesn't have to stay overnight again....less trauma for the poor scaredy-cat and less cost for me!! I'll post again and let everyone know how things are progressing. Thanks so much for thinking of us. You REALLY do not know how much that means to me!!

20. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Sending vines and prayers for Champ. Hope he is well, and back home with you soon!

21. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Patty, sending healing vines and prayers for your dear Champers. What a scare, and you did great with acting so quicky. I didn't realize all this with the lily plant, so learning lesson for me. I hope you can bring him home soon. Lots of hugs. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

22. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Patty, sending snowflakes and healing vines. I hope Champ is well enough to bring home soon!
    (((((Hugs)))))

23. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Champ. I hope you can bring him home today.

I know they are giving him IV fluids, but you can give fluids at him subq method. See if they will give you the set up for that and then you can continue the flushing at home.

24. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Patty, I hope you get to see Champ today.
    Still sending lots of healing prayers up, for your poor sweet boy.

Barb

25. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding prayers for Champ....
    try to add some funds too... I know anything is better than none....

26. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

Sending calming vines to you Patty and quick recovery vines to Champ.
    I'm so amazed at what quick thinking you had! I am so sorry Champ has to go through all of this, but I think a lot of us are learning from you these last couple days.
    Get well soon Champ and home for the holidays :YMHUG:

27. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yo Champ, I sure hope you can go home from the hospital soon. I'm sending you a beautiful bouquet of healing vines, covered in snowflakes.
    Your buddy,
    ~Rusty

28. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines for Champ, & here's hoping that he gets to come home quick & healthy.

(((((Patty)))))

Desi

29. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines, snowflakes, and much love to Champ.
    ♥♥♥ :YMHUG: ♥♥♥

30. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

Patty I'm so sorry to read that Champ is hospitalized. Sending him lots of get better vines and will keep Champ and you in our Prayers.

31. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Sending some love and healing vines to Champ. I hope he gets to come home soon!

32. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Champ. That must have been very scary Patti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.