? 12/24/17 Buddy AMPS 119

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Teresa & Buddy, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

On 12/23 AMPS gave Buddy 11u, his BG got lower than 70 and at PMPS took awhile to get his numbers back up to where I felt comfortable giving a shot. At PMPS gave him 10.5u, this morning @5:38 a.m. his number was 171. I thought that meant he would come up to where I could shoot 10.5u @ AMPS. He continued to go down instead of up @ AMPS he was at 119. I am testing and waiting for him to come up, he is crying wanting to eat.
    Another thing Buddy is insulin resistant, does this mean maybe his dose should be lower than 10.5 u., I will be gone later today for a while and my Mother does not know what to do with Buddy, I do not want him to get into trouble while I am gone. SUGGESTIONS.

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

My Doodles was IAA only. Are you following SLGS as your signature suggests? Just for clarification was there a skipped shot the PM cycle on 12/21?

3. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy is IAA only, following SLGS. On PM cycle 12/21 his dose was 10.5u.

4. Doodles & Karen

3 does of 11u is enough for an IAA kitty to have an initial reaction and glad you reduced last night to 10.5u. Question is how much of that 11u depot is at play and your ability to monitor. I would probably give 10.5 u a try but it's your ability to monitor that is in question. Since you're stalling, see what the next test is and if he's rising or still dropping. If he's hungry and depending on the last time he ate he could continue to drop. It's also ok to give him a bit of LC food to see if that helps. What number are you comfortable shooting?

5. Teresa & Buddy

He will only eat MC food, I just checked and @10:58a.m., he was @110, which means he is going down instead of up. I gave him 10.5u last night at PMPS, now I am afraid of 10.5u. I don't know what number to shoot. Did Doodles ever stop being IAA and if so could that be what is happening.

6. Doodles & Karen

With meter variance it's almost the same number. How far off schedule can you be with the shooting times and work your way back on schedule? Think you would see a lot more green if the IAA was breaking but that's not to say Buddy might need less insulin at the moment.

- You can continue to stall but again without food he may just hover around that number for a while. If you feed him can you be 2+ hours off schedule?
    - Skip the shot which would help drain any of the 11u depot that might be at play and try 10.5 at PMPS. If you're more comfortable with 10u that's fine, you can always increase if needed.
    - Shoot a reduced dose but that may or may not affect this cycle.

7. Teresa & Buddy

I did get him to eat some LC wet food, that any other time he will not eat and Dr.Easley's dry food which is LC. He acts like he is starving. At 5:38 a.m. I gave him 1/2 T of MCt wet food.

8. Teresa & Buddy

I would like to give a reduced dose, but I think I would go lower than 10U. I am afraid of DKA with no insulin. What is your thoughts on that. At this point if I wait 2hrs. I would be at PMPS @ 1:00 a.m. I thought the food at 5:38 a.m. would bring him up by AMPS.

9. Doodles & Karen

If you give him a reduced dose I’d go with a 1/3 or 1/2 which would be between 5.5u-7u.

10. Teresa & Buddy

This happens with Buddy from time to time and what always scares me is he starting to break through his IAA. I had read your post and thought of not giving any insulin, but since I read your other post, I am going to test and give a reduced dose. Did this happen with Doodles very often

11. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, sometimes I just need a little back up because I get afraid of him crashing, especially if I am going to be gone for a while. After he had ate he was @179, I gave him 5.5u. Hopefully, everything will get back to normal.

12. Doodles & Karen

Just be sure to get a few tests before you leave and if needed prop him up with some higher carb food. You want to try and find a dose that you can hold for at least 6-10 cycles to let the depot stabilize after the reduced dose unless he goes low again. It's up to you whether that is 10.5 of 10u.

13. Teresa & Buddy

Hoping to do that tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.