? 12/25 Quintus 18-hour cycle PS=265 +5.25=97 does this look safe for sleep in a couple of hours?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Steph & Quintus & L & O, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Condo http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ell-slowly-coming-up-sticking-with-ns.188503/

Quintus ate well yesterday morning but not during the night here at the chalet. He’s eating now. I’ll test him again in 10 minutes. He « seems fine ».

I gave 2ui yesterday evening, he was way up in the black after his NS yesterday morning. I’m thinking of dropping the dose to 1 this morning if I can get him high enough (without honey this time) to shoot.

ETA ate a little two hours ago, too.

Thoughts?

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He’s eaten, I’ve tested again, still low but inching up. Not sure what do to, skipped 2 shots in 2 days and would like out of this shot-skipping cycle because he goes straight in the black as soon as I skip.

Help?

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

It's very strange that his pm nadir seems to be at +11 recently?! And he's dropping that low when the insulin is supposed to be wearing off, I'm a little stumped. It's hard to say if his numbers went way up because of the skipped shot or because of the bounce, as he did much the same the previous day. Were his shots 12 hours apart the last 3 days or different intervals?

4. Stacy & Asia

You're also in back to back to back reduction territory and that doesn't usually work out. I'm not even sure what I would do here. o_O

The 81 you got in the +1 yesterday, that was a HC food influenced number, right? At the very least I'd stall until his numbers come up a decent bit with nothing more than LC food, but if he doesn't come up, you need some higher carbs in the mix.

5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

IMHO pm nadir so late is because he isn’t eating. Also I don’t know if he wasn’t lower before?

Wrong about skipping times, ill again and not much brain. NS 19th evening and 24th morning. Now is 25th morning.

If NS he’s around 600 at the end of the skipped cycle

6. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I’m thinking I need to shoot something or the yo-yo will just continue. Hence wondering about trying BCS 1ui if I he gets back into dark green

7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Maybe I’m over feeding him at the beginning of the cycle?

8. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Still the same number. Nice and flat. Which would be ok if I didn’t want to get insulin in him. Not to mention that if I stall too much he might have to skip his pm shot (family schedule stuff, limited window)

9. Stacy & Asia

You could try a BCS, if nothing else, you haven't done it yet and it will give you info on what that looks like, just be prepared that it may play out like you gave the full amount and you will have to watch him closely and be prepared to intervene with food.

10. Steph & Quintus & L & O

If I’m going to do that I still wait for him to be a bit higher, right?

11. Stacy & Asia

Oh yes, I would anyway

12. Steph & Quintus & L & O

When he’s high he usually drops pretty fast after the shot

13. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Was it a mistake to feed him, for another time?

14. Stacy & Asia

I mean, you really should be feeding him HC at this point, that's a pretty low number on AT (sorry, I keep forgetting you use AT). I wish I could be more help, but this is a strange situation and I've encountered it once with Asia, I was going to skip the shot but ended up stalling for 3.5 hours!

15. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He is still eating his transition food so that is what I give him

16. Stacy & Asia

If he's dropping that fast, it's a good feed the curve moment, you can give some MC when you see a huge drop and try to slow it down ahead of the lime greens, I'm still in the learning phase with this myself, but Marje has written an awesome post about it I could dig up for you.

17. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Thanks for being there

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  18. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Considering the 41, transition food (higher carb) is good. The 41 on an AlphaTrak is far too low to shoot. If he doesn't bounce from the 41 and goes lower, you have very little to work with. I'd do another test 30 minutes after and then an hour after the food to see which way the wind is blowing.

If you can afford to get off schedule, you could shoot late if he comes up. But he would have to come up a lot. And the forum is not heavily populated because of the holiday. Or you could try 2 18-hour cycles. Not the best, but better than nothing. Some folks will do 18-hour cycles. Some folks prefer not to.

19. Steph & Quintus & L & O

So far as I’ve been away or exhausted asleep it’s been hard to monitor properly. And now I got the lurgi it seems :-(
    But yeah could definitely do that for am cycle these next days but it’s PM he’s most active.
    (Sorry for sloppy posts, stuck on my phone, can’t change thread title either)

20. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

this may be a good time to try doing two 18 hour cycles (if it works for your schedule with the holidays)

To do that, you'd skip the shot right now and shoot at +18 (if he's high enough)....then skip the next "scheduled" shot and shoot again at the next one

Example....you shoot at 6am/6pm but at 6am he's too low.....so you go ahead and feed... and then shoot at noon (+18)....then you'd skip the 6pm shot and shoot again at 6am the next morning (+18).....then get back on your usual 12 hour schedule

21. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I’ll test in another 15 (will be 30 sincèrement previous test). He seems to be busy digesting his food. 18h cycles sound interesting, so instead of shooting at 7am (15 mins ago) I would shoot at 13h (but what dose?) and then tomorrow 7am again, and then do I fall back on 12h cycles? How does that work?

22. Stacy & Asia

I think that 18 hour thing sounds wise (perhaps annoying schedule wise, but at least you may not have to skip the shot. Glad some more people chimed in! This is over my head for sure!

23. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Thanks @Chris & China indeed sounds like a good plan and very compatible with my schedule the next 24h
    Actually better than shooting 7pm tonight

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  24. Steph & Quintus & L & O

How do I enter an 18h cycle in the SS? :confused:

25. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, you would fall back to a 12 hour cycle. 18 hour cycles can be used only in situations such as this and not on a regular, daily basis.

I would post closer to the 13h time and ask for dosage opinions.

26. Chris & China (GA)

in the +6 cell, you enter ### @ +18

27. Stacy & Asia

Merry Christmas, by the way! :)

28. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He’s back down to 41 (+12.5).
    I’m assuming this is a « check in 15 » number or can I wait 30 given he has eaten recently?

29. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Thanks, you too! Just took photos of the day breaking on the mountains. Will post!

LizzieInTexas and Stacy & Asia like this.
  30. Stacy & Asia

I would carb him up with some HC food & honey or Karo, you need to help him back up and if you are shooting at +18 what you feed him right now won't matter by then

31. Steph & Quintus & L & O

@Chris & China any suggestions on the dose for my 18h cycle? And how to dose after?

32. Stacy & Asia

And yes, test again in 15-30, do you know how long it takes food to show up in his numbers yet? Asia take 20-30 so testing at 15 doesn't tell me anything, but that's just my cat

33. Steph & Quintus & L & O

34. Chris & China (GA)

Usually we just do the dose we're scheduled to do, so 2U

35. Chris & China (GA)

Looks like he gets the pillows!!.....LOL

Beautiful view!! Just breathtaking!!!

Hope you have a great Christmas Day!!

36. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Isn’t he due another decrease with what he is doing now? All those lime greens?

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Chris & China (GA)

We don't usually recommend doing back to back reductions because more often than not, they fail and you just have to go right back up, but if your gut is telling you to reduce, you could....just remember that these next couple of cycles are going to be 18 hours long, not 12

If you do reduce, you would go back up as soon as you see it's not enough (a failed reduction)

38. Stacy & Asia

You already took the reduction on the 23rd and the greens you're seeing could be depot influenced, it's considered a back to back reduction and they usually don't work.

39. Steph & Quintus & L & O

40. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Ah, makes sense! Understood.

41. Chris & China (GA)

Well, get some good snuggle time in if you end up staying in bed (but I hope you feel well enough to continue with your Christmas plans)

Goodnight Stephanie & Quintus!!

42. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Goodnight, Merry Christmas to you, and thanks for helping us out here!

43. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Phew, out of the lime greens. Roughly 2h after « first feeding »

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  44. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug:

Merry Christmas. Beautiful pictures. Thank you for posting them :)

How old is Quintus?

Does he eat well when he is low (i.e., food motivated)? Do you have any nausea meds? If so, might be worth a try.

45. Steph & Quintus & L & O

He seems to eat quite well when he’s low, particularly if I put it in front of him. He’ll be 17 in Feb

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  46. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Well, that is good. I think sometimes they just get food saturated and then if there are any issues with poo (going), it just enhances that. I know it does with me :D and I think it is an issue with Gizmo, though he can't tell me :facepalm::cat:

47. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas! Lovely pics. Hope you and Quintus are feeling better.

48. Steph & Quintus & L & O

So, Quintus and I are back under the clouds, and I'm afraid I'm feeling very poorly. The old boy just seems tired by his trek through the lime greens. I gave him a 2ui shot at +18 as per suggestion of @Red & Rover (GA) and @Chris & China.

He ate before the shot, but not loads. I'm going to try and give him some food shortly, but I definitely seem to be having trouble getting "enough" into him. Maybe I'm overfeeding? Would it be wise to give him smaller rations? I'm home these next days so can portion. (Quintus has always been a free-feeder, so maybe wolfing down larger meals isn't agreeing with him.)

I am a little concerned that he's already in the blues at +3 of the 18h cycle. If anybody has experience with 18-hour cycles after having skipped a dose or two, and lime green too present, most welcome.

I'm also wondering (hoping?) if this could be his pancreas getting better? (reminder: his diabetes is certainly secondary to his pancreatitis, which we have treated and still are with the convenia coverage) -- or am I dreaming at this stage?

His eye is still bothering him, and it was stressful at the chalet for him with people and small kids around, so that could maybe explain the "less eating". He also did an unhappy poop last time around (ate too much of the LC paste and not enough of the HC kibble in his mix).

49. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Don’t be concerned about him in blue. It very well could be the pancreas is starting to come alive. As long as you can monitor youncan steer with food if he gets too low. For that reason many do better with small amounts more often. Max was one of those but he also had chronic pancreatitis. When they aren’t feeling their best feeding small amounts more often seems to help. It doesn’t take a lot of high carb food or sugar to get most of them into safe numbers should they need it.

50. Steph & Quintus & L & O

@tiffmaxee thanks! yup, chronic pancreatitis it is. Poor organ didn't look good on the sonogram, but as my vet said, at one point you need to focus on clinical signs (ie, how's the cat doing, and are we doing anything that seems to be working) rather than what we see inside. It would be great if his pancreas is starting to be better! Trying not to get my hopes up, though.

I can monitor for the next few hours but after that I REALLY need to get some sleep. I've been poorly for over two weeks and now caught a bad cold on top of it. I'll be no use for Quintus if I wear myself out to the hospital.

So I'm wondering if/when I'm going to be able to go to bed tonight (it's 5.15pm, I'd love to be able to sleep around 9) and if I need to wake up in the middle of the night to check on him or not. A bit jittery after all the lime green this morning.

51. Steph & Quintus & L & O

+5.25 a nice green 97... Not sure I can sign off yet :-/

52. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m so sorry you have to test a bit more with that number near nadir. As soon as you get a rising number, I hope you can rest and feel better soon.

Merry Christmas to you and Quintus in Switzerland (one of my favorite countries!!).

53. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Whoops, I slept!

Juliet likes this.
  54. Chris & China (GA)

Hope the extra sleep made you feel a little better!!

55. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Get the sleep you need. You cannot make good decisions on no sleep. --- says the person up most of last night.
    I agree Lime Greens=Jitters.
    We know Switzerland a bit. Are you up by the Matterhorn?

56. Steph & Quintus & L & O

57. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I know Lausanne a little bit. From a long while ago. There was once a friend there.

I was looking at the shape of the mountains. Thinking of a chalet away from home and skiing.

58. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Good :bighug: looks like you needed it. I can’t do an 18 hr curve. Missing sleep doesn’t work for me.

59. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I was able to do this one because it meant shooting at 1pm, then 7am :) -- even better for sleep! An 18-hour night curve would be a different story...

Juliet likes this.
  60. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Oh I thought you were testing every 3 hrs over an 18 hr period.

61. Steph & Quintus & L & O

No, what happened is that he was too low at AMPS yesterday morning. And I'd already skipped the AM shot the day before. So rather than skip again, instead of doing 3 12h cycles, I did two 18h cycles. Now I'm back on track with 12h cycles, hoping he doesn't flee into the lime greens straight away (I need my sleep!) -- or well, if he does, I think that will mean a reduction!

Juliet likes this.
  62. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I wish my Silver would get any where close to green. Still waiting in the pinks.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  63. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Looks like it might soon be time for a dose increase?

64. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I think so too but will see what folks say in his condo coz he is bouncing on this curve I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.