12/27 Webster AMPS=84 +2=80 +3=80 +4=63 +6=73

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Websterthecat, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yesterday's condo

I Woke up this morning and Webster was at 84! I was faced with the decision of whether or not to shoot below 100 for the first time without guidance.

I know that I can always feed him to bring him back up and he will likely start to rise on his own as his last dose wears off.

Seeing how well he has been responding to the 1.5U dose, the decision was actually very easy. I didn't want to skip a dose and cause any disruption.

So... I shot... and now I wait. :eek:

I thought that today might also be a good day to experiment with free feeding. With such scary low numbers at preshot, I want to make sure that he has food to eat when he starts to feel the drop.

I put out his entire morning portion @AMPS (4oz) and will allow him to graze. So far, its been 1.5 hours and he's finished half of his food and seems to alert and wide awake.

Some of you have asked about his dental. As of now, hes doing well but I still want to give it a few more days to ensure that he sticks with his new dose prior to going in for a procedure. I want to make sure that he's stable as possible before taking on additional risk.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Nice shooting, Mike.
    [​IMG]
    I see you tested an 80 at +2. Often when the +2 is the same or lower than the PS, then the cycle will be an active one. If it were me, I would do a +3 next. Or if you see him diving for his food after 45 minutes, test him then.

3. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Anyone want to guess where Webster is headed?

I gave him all of his food at once this morning and he just finished it all up at +2. Prior to finishing his food, I took a reading @+2 and he was at 80.

Foods out and I don't want to flood him out with additional food.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

That's smart about not wanting to flood him with food, as you want him to be hungry should you need him to eat later..

5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Sounds like a plan.

Now that his food is finished, what course of action should I take if he starts to fall into the 70's and 60's? 1-2tbs of LC (5%) food and retest or should I bring him back up with a couple TBS of 20%?

6. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I also have some 8%...

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It all depends on the + number and how fast he is falling.
    If he's surfing along in the 70s to 80s, then a couple of teaspoons of LC an hour may keep him there.
    If he gets between 50s and 60s, I would start testing every half hour, and begin giving him a couple of teaspoons of MC between tests. I would hold off on the HC unless he is diving super fast, or below 50. That's just what I would have done.
    Let's see how Webster's cycle goes.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats on shooting an 84. When Max does that it is often on the way up and if not we have a very active cycle. The saying is shoot low to stay low and I hope that is what Webster does. :):D

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Nice shooting! And what a nice steady surf this is just what we are looking for! When is his usual nadir? I'd keep a close watch until then, but save the big guns for a steeper drop.

10. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Webster had a 20 pt drop as his insulin is starting to kick into high gear. We gave him 2 tbs of LC and hes very content and alert at the moment.

I hope to keep him surfing along in the 60's and 70's while minimizing his ear pricks.

Perhaps I'll watch his behavior and test only if he starts to beg for food or go into hiding. Otherwise I'll check him again @ +6. What do you think?

11. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks Ann. Here lately he seems to be hitting his nadir around +6 to +7.

We are staying home today and keeping an eye on him.

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I see you got a 64, but can't see when it was and guess it was at +4.5. He seems to be surfing along right now. I would test in one hour after the last test.

13. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It seems as if my spreadsheet appears slightly different when compared to the shareable version that's in my signature. I'll have to see about fixing the format so you all can see all the information for each block. BTW, 4.5 is correct.

I just tested him again @ +6 and it seems like he might be turning up. What a beautiful surf today with very little additional food for support!

Maybe for tonight I will give all of his food and withhold 1/2oz to 1oz for +4.

14. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Surfs Up! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Go Webster!
    :cool:

15. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks Sandy. My wife and I are so excited about the progress that Webster has made over the past 5 days. We are dying to get out of the house and celebrate!

We might sneak out for a couple hours tonight if all goes well.

BTW, we were walking around our neighborhood today and saw our neighbor 4 doors down. We started talking about our diabetic cat and found out that her cat has diabetes also and she is quite familiar with giving insulin. She offered to watch after Webster if we were looking to get away. How great is that?

I might have to take her up on her offer one days but right now its hard to let go and allow someone else to take care of him.

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

But, it's good to have a neighbor that can look in on him, should you ever have to leave some day and can't be around to check on him. I hope you offered the same to her.

17. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh just LOOK at Webster go! Yep that first 'under 100' shot is a nail biter!

NICE that your neighbor has a diabetic too! Handy! Does she also test hers?

HUGS and headbutts to all!

18. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Oh yes, Absolutely. I also offered.

If I ever ask her, it would be on a rare occurrence.

As of right now, I have a hard time trusting anyone by myself to give him the correct insulin dose. It might be a while before I can relinquish that duty.

19. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Hi!
    Hi! Now that some of the topics have been merged I've seen some new names on here. I couldn't quite figure out your name based on your info. Anyway, I'm Mike and yes under 100 was a nail biter bit we made it through without much of an issues!

She doesn't test and never heard of it. I did tel her about this forum and how awesome it is!

20. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Hi Mike! My name is Lyresa, 'da sugarboyz' were/are my 'extra sweet' boys. KT crossed in August but we still have Dakota aka Doc. Dakota is my avatar pic as of today. I've watched your condos but likely haven't posted in a loooong time....never seem to have time to catch up AND post! :)

21. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

I was the same way with BK. It must be comforting however, to know that if something came up, there is someone willing to lend that sort of hand.

Congratulations on shooting your first GREEN! Way to go!
    It can be a nail-biter however being data ready does make it easier.

Funny, BKs first green PS was 84 and an AMPS. It was however about 9 months down the road. . .:rolleyes:
    I was away on business travel, on the west coast, in a secured building where no phones with cameras were allowed.
    DBF was at the helm. I prepared him for every possible scenario before I left, or so I thought.
    He re-tested (to verify it wasn't a bum reading) , shot the whole 12.5u. . .and went to work...:eek:
    My bad - never in a million years did I think we would see a green PS - so we never discussed it.
    When I got back to my hotel room an looked to see how BK was doing I could not believe my eyes!
    BK was fine, his (undiagnosed at the time) extreme insulin resistance combined with the timed feeder kept him safe.
    there were however a few nails bitten down to the quick in Lantus Land that day. . . :cool:

22. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What a nice cycle today!! Congrats on the BOS award too!...LOL

Not surprised by the bounce tonight, but don't be disheartened! The more time he spends in those pretty green numbers, the better! His bounces will gradually flatten out and he won't bounce as high and won't take as long to clear them

Now Webster....that yellow PMPS is high enough to bounce...there's no need whatsoever to visit the stinky pinkies!

23. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Nice to meet you Lyresa!

Hope to see you around.:)

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  24. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks Chris.

What's this "BOS" award? I was trying to figure this out earlier.

I'm hoping for a good cycle tonight, perhaps some more blues and then greens.

25. Squeaky and KT (GA)

BOS - as I grin... "Balls of Steel"....:D

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tee Hee Hee!!

27. Mel&Kay

Mel&Kay Member

Woo! Awesome job Mike and Webster! :D

28. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member