12/28 Webster AMPS=143 +2=198

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Websterthecat, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yesterday's condo

Yesterday was another great day in the blues and greens!

Now that Websters appetite has shifted, I'm still working on a new feeding plan to keep his Bgs from dropping.

The latest idea is to give 3oz at preshot, which he seems to graze on, and 1oz around +4 to +5. I'm trying to play it by ear and figure out the best time to give that last ounce to give him a boost and keep him surfing along.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure it out after a year, lol. Great numbers for Webster! Surf it now!!

3. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

All I can do is try... Hopefully I can make sense of it and come up with some sort of feeding schedule.:)

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You will. It just takes patience and lots of trial and error for some while others find it right away. I also think Max is a complicated case because of having chronic pancreatitis for so many years.

Websterthecat likes this.
  5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Websters at 428. Looks like a bounce for sure.

Well, I guess I'm headed out to enjoy the rest of this evening.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

the good thing is his bounces aren't lasting too long now. I'm almost wondering if he's already on his way back down with that pmps. Maybe not, maybe he's just bobbling around high, but i'd definitely get a check in this evening to see if he is clearing it already.

7. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

It appears that way. Take a look at AM 12/26. If this trend repeats itself, we are looking at a slow decline into the greens overnight. If this is the case, I'm anticipating another preshot in the greens tomorrow morning.

Looking forward, where should I set my threshold for shooting in the morning? Shooting at 84 the other day made me nervous but it worked out okay. Considering how new he is to numbers below 100 and the limited data collected, what's the lowest number that you would feel comfortable shooting? 65-75?

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

If you're able to monitor, I'd go for it as long as it's over 50ish. There isn't much difference between the 84 you shot before and a 55, for example. Take a look at Jack's condo for today and his ss. This is Merrin's first time shooting green.

Shooting low (full dose into normal numbers 50-120) can be a game-changer. It can reduce the overall range of blood sugar and let Lantus do its best work. You saw what happened on 12/26 when you shot the 84 - he didn't plummet. He basically stayed flat in green numbers for hours afterwards. That's what Lantus is known for. You're great at monitoring and as long as he's not sick or not eating, and you've got strips and high carb and can monitor him, I'd shoot.

Once you feel confident about how he responds then you won't need to test him so often after you've shot green. Have you seen Davidson's ss? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aj3uT59Jr1qSdHAzZGdodHR1NVFwb1FHR0hOOTRwQ3c&outpu His is one of my favorites, and honestly, the only cat I've seen that worked off of insulin in quite this way. Look at February 9th and see when Shawna started with green amps - then look across and see what happens in the rest of the cycle.

Davidson went green at 2.75u doses and basically worked his way off of insulin by staying in normal numbers for a week at a time for most doses. There were a couple of times he went below 50 and got reductions that way, but mostly it was just by staying in normal numbers at one dose for one week. That part is at the bottom of the paragraph on reducing the dose (TR Protocol guidelines):

Reducing the dose:
    • If kitty drops below 40 (long term diabetic) or 50 (newly diagnosed diabetic) reduce the dose by 0.25 unit. If kitty has a history of not holding reductions well or if reductions are close together... sneak the dose down by shaving the dose rather than reducing by a full quarter unit. See additional notes in the next paragraph about drops into the 20s and 30s. Alternatively, at each newly reduced dose... try to make sure kitty maintains numbers in the normal range for seven days before reducing the dose further.

9. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Julie.

You are right. Jack's numbers looked great today. She shot around 85 (if I did my math correctly) and had fantastic day .. Sorta like Webster the other day.

Davidson seems to be the FDMB poster child. What beautiful numbers!

Thank you for responding with this info. I hope to wake up and see some greens in the morning.

As for tonight, I'm going to get in a couple test and call it a night as long as hes not crashing on me.

10. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Just did a keytone check. Webster is @ 0.1! :):)

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

awesome on the ketones!!! glad to hear he is eating and you are getting to know his patterns so you can try different feeding strategies to see what works best for him.

I agree with Julie that you should be able to shoot any number above 50 now as long as you are there to monitor and keep him safe. You've handled low numbers.

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Nice job, Mike! Good work, Webster!!

Enjoy your evening,

Ella & Rusty

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

PM+5.75=37

Ketones negative!

Congratulations, Webster has earned a reduction :D

14. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks Sandy. A reduction sounds great but I have my doubts that he's going to remain in the blues and greens after this reduction. I wrote about this in His most recent condo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.