12/29 KB's AMPS 149 & question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nina and KB, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Yesterday's thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87

Overnight snacks not eaten. Ate most of breffus, in small portions, with substantial coaxing. Interested in food, but acts a little nauseous and mostly wants to slurp.

Will try to get him in to vet today.

Can anyone tell me which test to ask for for pancreatitis?

2. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Sending eating vines for KB

test- fPLI

3. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Nina,

I'm sorry that KB does'nt feel well. :( Hope you can get into the vet soon. I'll be thinking of you two.

jan and sara

4. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Nice numbah there KB but ya gotta eat baby. Hope you guys can get into see vetty bean today and see what's going on with the ever so handsome KB. Sending smoochies.

5. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I"m sorry that KB isn't feeling well and hope that the vet can help him out. Sorry also that I don't know what tests to ask for, but I'm sure someone will come along and give you the info you need.
    Have a good day, Nina and sending feel better vines to KB

6. Nina and KB

Re: 12/29 KB's AMPS 149 +4 128

Not his normal direction but not complaining, very nice numbers. Got him to eat some of his +3 snack. Have appt. for late this morning. Doing alot of napping, no exploring or socializing, but otherwise doesn't seem to feel bad. Just a little nauseous I think.

New board hadn't let me on for a long time, too many connections. Very sophisticated, should be nice.

7. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

awwwww KB. Hope the vet visit turns up some answers and a simple solution to help him feel better.

carolyn (and Latte)

8. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Nina, it's the Idexx fPL, has a pretty quick turnaround (overnight I think) if they don't lose your sample (don't ask :evil: ) Texas A&M Univ may still do it, but it takes almost a week to get their result.

He should be fasted for the fPL, so I wouldn't push food if he hasn't eaten much yet. If he has eaten, have vet call Idexx and confirm it's still OK - I'm assuming he hasn't eaten a lot.

Feel better, KB.

9. Nina and KB

He did eat almost a normal amount of breakfast, spread out over time. Surprising that his BG has gone down since then, his nadir is tyically +12. Maybe we'll just end up with anti-nausia meds.

Sure sign he's not feeling up to par - newly adopted civvie is laying right in front of him and he isn't bothering with her at all. (I've been keeping them separated, he's only had a few encounters with her.)

10. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hope sweet KB feels better--Healing & appy vines coming your way!

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I hope KB starts feeling better.

12. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

*sneaks in from tbp*

We get so many tests that I confuse the requirements, but I *think* the fPL may be run without a full fast *if* the sample is not lipemic. But I'm not absolutely certain. If you do go in to the vet, have them call Idexx and find out. What you can do is have the vet/tech draw a sample and spin it to check for lipemia, and if it looks ok, then send out for the test.

Ask vet for some buprenex if you go in. CP hurts, a lot :( And check him for dehydration. If he's not pillable - being an acrokitty, pilling probably isn't a good idea anyway - ask if they'll give you a bottle of injectable pepcid. It's cheap, I think I paid $8 for a full bottle, and that's with a HUGE markup. You can inject it using an insulin syringe.

I'll missed the news on the new addition to the family. Name? Age? Congratulations! :)

*sneaks back to poring over her annoying partnership agreement*

13. Nina and KB

Re: 12/29 KB's AMPS 149 +4 128 ~+7 126, vet results

We're back. Nothing obviously wrong. Blood work done there not bad. Some key values:
    BUN 25 (10-30)
    Creat 2.0 (.3 - 2.1), creeping up slightly
    Amylase 1334
    Glu 126 (atta boy)

Vet felt WCB a little high, indicating low-grade infection or possible GI disturbance as I've described. Gave me some Baytril. Hemocrit (I think) was a little lower than she liked, but he's not anemic - gave me some liquid liver/iron/B complex/vit stuff to add to his food.

Came home with 2 syringes of inject. famotidine (pepsid), she is checking on price for a bottle (23.70 charged for this. yikes)

They gave him 125 ml. subQ fluids, but said he didn't seem dehydrated, solids were .8 or something like that, that's not on the lab work.

Nothing sent out but they saved some for me to call back and confirm what I would like run, then if they don't have enough need another appt. They're not familiar with Idexx f PL, I showed her what I had written down. They usually just look at lipase and amylase to determine pancreatitis. Said they use Antech (not sure of spelling). They can send something to Idexx if I want them to.

(Sorry if I'm spelling things wrong, posting while working.)

He ate some of his snack when we got home, about 2 hours later than he normally gets it. It took some coaxing, and some parmesan, but he got a good bit down. Oh, if he's not better tomorrow - when DH goes in with civvie she will send home some miraz. (Meowzi's happy pill, appetite enhancer).

14. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

((((KB)))) Really hope he is feeling better soon.

Unfortunately, lipase and amylase levels cannot be used to Dx pancreatitis in cats. They are much more definitive in dogs and humans. This Idexx roundtable discussion may help you (or your vets):

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources/pd ... rticle.pdf

Idexx runs the Spec fPL (developed with Texas A&M/TAMU). TAMU runs the fPLI and other GI labs (takes a little longer than the newer Idex Spec fPL assay).

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/ ... itis.shtml
    http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/assays/cPLI.shtml

You can have vet call in Rx for Famotidine to any pharmacy too, and they should be able to get it in by tomorrow. I pay about $10 for a huge bottle at Walgreens.

If they didn't give him any actual anti-nausea meds, I would recommend getting some Cerenia/Maropitant from the vet or Zofran/Ondansetron from the pharmacy (or Reglan/Metoclopramide as the last choice). Famotidine/Pepcid may help, but it is not an actual anti-nausea medication and will not cover nausea not just caused by an acid stomach.

15. Nina and KB

Thanks, Cassandra. We talked about anti-nausea meds, she mentioned if I didn't think the pepcid was helping that we could try something like Reglan. I think they charged me for her injecting the famot., as opposed to just providing me with it.

We don't know why he's acting nauseated. He doesn't seem to be in pain. I was pursuing the pancreatitis aspect just in case. She hasn't called back yet, I had called and told them about the fPLI test earlier.

16. Nina and KB

Re: 12/29 KB's AMPS +12 62 +12.75 55 +13.25 56

Stalling, feeding Tbls. of 14 carb gravy/meat, which he is nibbling. Not sure how long I can put off putting something in the shed but he has not risen since this morning's shot.

17. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

what a day.......

looking at SS now.

18. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

not easy to know what to dose when they're not feeling well. :(

My personal rule of thumb (not based on any scientific fact, just what seems right) is to try to shoot something by +14. If he's not up by then, you might want to shoot a BCS.

Come on KB, make this easier for us and come up a little!

19. Nina and KB

Thanks, Libby; 64 @+14.25 PMPS

+14 was sort of my cutoff, too. He seems fine, very alert. Not himself, but I wouldn't have known he was low w/o testing.

Went w/ 5.0 @14.25. He's enjoying more HC. And thankfully is does seem to be enjoying it.

20. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the meds will help KB feel better. It does sound like KB's symptoms are similar to Logan's. Poor kitties.

Logan's internist wanted to do a full GI panel, which is only done at Texas A&M. The fpli can be done through Idexx, but it costs about $168 vs $230 for the full GI panel at TX A&M. We went ahead and did the full panel since the cost wasn't that much more.

21. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Just getting caught up on the new board. Sorry to hear KB isn't feeling well.

22. Nina and KB

Re: 12/29 KB's PMPS 64 +2 85

*NM*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.