? 12/29 Silver AMPS 290 PMPS 175; +2=331 +4=338 - METER VARIANCE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice sunny start for Silver. I hope he surfs for you today and doesn't bounce back up.

3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. Wish I was home to find out. Gone now until PMPS.

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Be safe Silver while your bean is out. No bouncing allowed either!

Juliet likes this.
  5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Come on, Silver, you got this! :cool:

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Nice blue tonight. Thanks Silver. Now PLEASE do not be red later tonight or tomorrow. Be nice for your mamma bean. Only three cycles to get out of this bounce - that's an improvement.

I received a Freestyle Lite meter and strips today courtesy of the DCIN Cap program. Thanks @Chris & China for putting that in motion for me.

I do not know how to use it? It has an M and a C button - both seem to turn it on. When its on, it comes up with a date and time on it as well as a light at the top that looks like a battery. Does that mean I need a new one? Then, which way in do I put the strip? I tried both ways but neither seems to sook up the blood onto the strip. Is it supposed to absorb the blood - the accucheck aviva I currently use, I just hold it to the blood droplet and the strip sucks up the blood onto it. I think I am doing something wrong with the Freestyle. Any advice welcome before I waste too many strips trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Oohhh. Cleared that bounce quickly! Hope he stays blue tonight! Progress is so exciting!

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Well I think I MAY have just given him a fur shot. His fur is dry but I smelled insulin. Bummed.

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Might of just been a drop.

Juliet likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Put the strip in so the narrower bottom edge sticks out. If you look closely at the sides of the bottom edge you'll see two tiny finger-like projections, one on each side. One of these has to be put into the blood drop to get a reading.

Juliet likes this.
  11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

The needle was bent when I pulled it out too. Oops. I hope it’s not a fur shot just when he’s out of the bounce. Will get a +2 and see but then he usually goes right back into a bounce after a blue so I guess I will never know?

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Why is it every time he gives me a blue he bounces into pink again. He never gets a chance to get used to the blues and stop bouncing as he doesn't stay there long enough!

15. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok so I just tested Silver and got 18.8 (338) and at the same time, grabbed a test with the Freestyle Lite (I am currently using Accucheck Aviva) and it gave me 12 (216) - that is QUITE the difference. So how do I know which is accurate? The extreme variance scares me a little. I recorded the Aviva test as that is what I have been using from the get go. Thoughts anyone?

@Marje and Gracie
    @Tracey&Jones
    @Stacy & Asia
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Tagging some "old timers" who have been in Silver's condo

16. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Wow, I don't use either of those but yes that is a little more than 20% variance. Did you use them on yourself? To see if there is a huge variance still?

17. Juliet

Juliet Guest

No. I could try that in the am. But I’m worried. I’ve been given 100 strips and I sure do need them but I’m scared as how to I know which is right. It may be my accucheck that’s wrong and I’m dosing too high. What on earth do I do?

18. Tracey&Jones (GA)

You will switch the meter and you will go off the new meter. New Year, new meter and you will dose accordingly. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. I would test myself to see if the new meter is calibrated right. Or test your civvie. 1 strip to confirm.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  19. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Not that simple. I have 100 strips for each meter. I was given 100 strips for the accucheck for Christmas and now also have 100 for the freestyle. I need both as I can’t afford strips.

I know nothing about calibration. It’s not a new meter as there was lots of someone else’s data in it and it needed a new battery right away. I’ll try testing the civvie or me but how will that help as I don’t know what either of us are normally. Never tested either before.

20. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Need to know which one is right as it’s a HUGE variation. Could be difference between hypo or not. If accucheck eg says 90 and he’s really 40 then that’s a problem.

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is a purr-fect example of why we suggest sticking with one meter. You'll constantly second guess yourself and drive yourself crazy comparing meters against each other.

Here's the math:

(AccuCheck Aviva) 20% of 338 = 67.6 or 68
    (Freestyle Lite) 20% of 216 = 43.2 or 43

Allowable variance:
    -20% = 270 AccuCheck Aviva
    +20% = 406 Accucheck Aviva

-20% = 173 Freestyle Lite
    +20% = 259 Freestyle Lite

There's not much difference between a 259 and a 270, is there? It's actually pretty close and acceptable. :)

Just a suggestion...
    Pick one meter, stick with it, and use it to dose accordingly.

22. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. Not sure I understand the math but here’s my problem: I have always used the Aviva. Have very low income. DCIN cap programme offered me strips but they don’t have Avivas. Sent me the freestyle and 100 strips. Friend gave me 100 Aviva strips for Christmas. Can’t afford not to use all the strips.

23. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

It’s a hair outside of a 20% variance. If the lab number was 282, it’s almost okay that both of those readings could be right, but yes, I would do a control solution test, test a civvie or yourself just to have some peace of mind. Then use the new meter and go off of that if all checks out.

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

Not sure what the problem is. Switch meters and stick with the Freestyle going forward. Make a note on your spreadsheet so others can see where you've switched meters. Don't bother trying to compare the results. Don't even bother thinking in those terms. The protocols as written were developed using human meters. They take the variance into account.

Marje and Gracie and Juliet like this.
  25. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Juliet what was your plan for the strips and meter? Did you eventually plan on going with one or the other?

ETA: or keep using both?

26. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I guess I’m concerned by the huge difference. My math isn’t great but 338 on one and 216 on the other is a lot. I guess I’ll use up the 100 strips on the Aviva then switch to the freestyle moving forward.

27. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Think I will have to. But I’ll use up what strips I have from the Aviva then switch. The variance worries me tho. Aviva says he’s 338. What if he’s not really? Ok with high numbers. Not so much when in greens.

28. Jill & Alex (GA)

Sounds like an excellent plan!

FYI: The differences between meters you're seeing is NOT unusual.

Stacy & Asia and Juliet like this.
  29. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok. Will do that.

Question tho. For example. I’m using the Aviva and get 90 but how do I know he’s not really much lower? Arent such large variances risky when it gets to lower numbers?

30. Tracey&Jones (GA)

All of our human meters read differently. My 18.8 is not going necessarily read 18.8 on your meter. The key is really the patterns more then the numbers except for lows - however, the protocols are based on the knowledge there is variances and take that into account.

31. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok thanks Tracey and @Jill & Alex (GA) I feel a bit better now. I thought they should all be 100% accurate with no variance. I do like the lower number on the freestyle :cool:

32. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

That's good . It's enough worry with bouncy Silver without bouncy meters.

:bighug:

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Juliet like this.
  33. Jill & Alex (GA)

Here's what you're not getting and it's very difficult to explain, much less understand...

Let's say you get a 90 on ANY meter. Your cat probably isn't really 90 anyway... at least not if he were tested in a lab.... and there may even be a little difference from one lab to another... not to mention it doesn't matter when you're following the protocols used on the FDMB. The protocols were developed using human meters... with all their benefits and limitations. They take those limitations into consideration in that the guidelines were set up with safety in mind. The meters offer a look at patterns and trends. They also give us a general idea if the cat needs more or less insulin. The meters are not an exact science to begin with, so comparing them doesn't make sense.

Trust me, pick a meter and stick with it... changing only when you have good reason to make the change. I'm one of the oldest dinosaurs currently on this board. :D

34. Jill & Alex (GA)

One thing I forgot to mention...
    Some meters are even known to run lower or higher than other meters. I only mention that because you consider all these "variations" you can see how easily you'll make yourself crazy trying to do comparisons.

Juliet likes this.
  35. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. Believe me I had no designs on changing meter but DCIN gave me strips and didn’t have any for the meter I have.

This is interesting article:

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2013/07/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy-comparison-chart/

36. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I hear you. Scary tho as we rely on these numbers

37. Jill & Alex (GA)

And that chart is sadly outdated. Since that printing in 2012, quite a few of the meter manufacturers have switched to newer methods of reading blood glucose. There are several of these methods in use today... just another "variable".

Not scary at all if you follow the protocols and test frequently. :D

Juliet likes this.
  38. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

The lower the number the MUCH closer the 2 meters will read. I used many different meters thru the years as people gave me extra strips - some varied more than others but all of them were really close when it counts. I echo - use one until strips are gone then use the other.

39. Jill & Alex (GA)

Good point. Any variance is smaller at lower numbers...

Juliet likes this.
  40. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks everyone. Yes that’s what worried me. If closer at small numbers I’m ok.

41. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

One very important thing Jill said that you should focus on is looking at patterns and trends with one meter.

Of course it’s important to reduce when the meter hits that magic number but instead of worrying about if the BG is 89 on one meter and 115 on another, look at the patterns and trends of the meter you are using. :)

Juliet likes this.
  42. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I think Juliet is a bit like me from what she has written. We don't or are not able at the moment to 'see' the pattern or trend. We have a white stick.
    I don't myself actually see any pattern in Ty's SS. I try to follow guidelines & suggestions & I mean I really am into doing that. Meanwhile I try so hard to 'see' these patterns that others seem to see and apply the suggestions given because I know they see and I do not.

This may be to do with being literal. I can do intuitive & artistic but not with this graph thing.

I hope that makes some sense. In some ways I may be saying that EPID.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Reason for edit: lol
    Juliet likes this.
  43. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you got your questions answered about meters. I also tried a couple different meters to start, including the Freestyle (older technology). But it was explained to me then is that as long as the meters are close where it counts (lower numbers), who cares if they are apart in higher numbers. It's just telling you the blood sugar is too high. How much too high dosen't matter.

Juliet likes this.
  44. Juliet

Juliet Guest

You are so right there re the patterns.

45. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, any instrument -- a ruler, glucometer, thermometer, etc. -- has a "margin of error." The technical term is standard error of measurement (SEM). Even if you were to take a pencil and paper test, there's no guarantee that you would answer exactly the same from time 1 to time 2. It's this SEM that is responsible for the variance not only between 2 different meters but you will also see some difference if you were to get two back-to-back tests with the same meter.

I'd also suggest keeping an eye on strip prices on Ebay and on Amazon as well as any sales on ADW. On occasion, I've found some incredible deals. Likewise, check the Supply Closet here. There are members who will donate supplies -- you just need to be quick to respond if someone is making a donation.

Juliet likes this.
  46. Juliet

Juliet Guest

ADW?

47. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

ADW = American Diabetes Warehouse. Sometimes their prices were good but usually only if there was a sale. I did find great prices on Amazon or Ebay. (I used a Bayer Contour meter and never paid more than 25 cents per strip.)

Juliet likes this.
  48. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Oh I’m in Canada

49. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I'm not sure how competitive Amazon or Ebay prices will be there. From what I've seen members post, you don't always have the range of choices. If @Wendy&Neko hasn't been by, I know she's familiar with the testing supply resources in Canada.

50. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Well I’ve been ordering strips from eBay as the strips in Canada are way way too expensive. I guess it balances out tho as we lay relatively very little for insulin compared to your side of the border.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.