12/30 Webster AMPS=574

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Websterthecat, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Yesterday's condo

After a nice run of blues and greens, Webster is back in black.

I'm attributing this high number to a bounce after last nights drop from 424 to 180 in 5 hours. For dinner last night I fed him his entire 4 ounce serving at once which disappeared within the first 2 hours and he was begging for more.

For the purpose of collecting data, I allowed him to come down without intervention while monitoring his BGs on the hour. While I knew at the time that it was going to cause a bounce, I figured that the data that I would collect was well worth it.

From this information and what I have seen in the past, I came up with a new theory and feeding plan.

My thoughts are that when I give him all of his food at once when he's high, he inhales it, has a huge food spike, and then there's no food left to keep him surfing along. In this instance, his food needs to be rationed out every hour using the timer.

When he's in the low numbers, he's not nearly as hungry and will graze for several hours. In this instance, I can put out all of his food at once and he should be able to regulate his self. When he's feeling a drop, he can head to his bowl for a snack.

So basically, I'm going to determine whether to give mini meals or all food at once based on his Pre shot numbers.

I'm going to start this new feeding plan tonight and see what happens. Any thoughts on this approach?

2. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

No thoughts from me. My girl, Polly, is a grazer, gets four to five small meals a day and has left overs for grazing. Other cats in the house, too, and Boomer needs frequent meals to keep his weight up.

Since ECID, I think we need to experiment at times to find out what works with each cat. Hope your experiment helps you find some patterns and maybe some "bounce reducers."

Marilyn and Polly

3. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

My guess is when he's high his body isn't processing and absorbing the food properly, which is why he is so hungry. That's why unregulated diabetics are always hungry...they're literally starving.

Cobb is also a grazer nowadays. I think it helps keep his BGs smoother.

I would say experiment and see what works for Webster. The right way is the one that works.

4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

My $0.02

While I'm all for experimenting with food to increase knowledge of how ones kitty responds, IMHO this point in the journey is not the best time. With ketones still visible in the rear view mirror it would be prudent to do all possible to avoid high BGs right now. Until his teeth and gums are evaluated and any infection/inflammation addressed best to keep your eyes on the road and both hands firmly on the wheel. Why tempt fate?

My personal philosophy on feeding is to keep it as simple as possible. My goal was to establish a baseline feeding schedule that was manageable for us and that BK took to. BK always swimming in a sea of relentless pinks made establishing a schedule easy and I didn't have to tinker much with food at all which was good since I had plenty of other issues to focus on and sort out. I could add HC to as needed if the numbers called for it. Of course with his extreme insulin resistance I had plenty of breathing room to get the feeding established; it was 1 year before BK had his first taste of HC :(

This is an ECID item for sure and it can and likely will change as your journey progresses. For now using food strategically to avoid steep fast drops is key.

julie & punkin (ga) likes this.
  5. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Marilyn.

6. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I agree Sandy. Right now is not the best time to experiment.

Teeth and gum exam are in the works. I just need to feel confident that I am taking him in at the appropriate time.

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

PM+5.5=33!!!!!
    now there is an eye opener
    Good catch

I'm gonna try and rustle up some opinions on Websters depot and how best to proceed. . .

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I couldn't agree more with Sandy about the food trial. I think the better approach is to feed consistently to flatten him as much as you can. Tonight would be a good example why that is a better idea.

When they are clearing a bounce, it can be a pretty active cycle, as you see. One thing I don't mess with is the 30s. Although the depot can affect up to six subsequent cycles in some cats, I think if you get a 30 number in the fourth or subsequent cycle after a reduction, you should reduce again. My feeling is that the depot should really be draining to the new dose by fourth cycle. You should at least not be seeing 30s. Could it be compounded by the bounce breaking? Yes...but safety first.

IMHO...

Websterthecat likes this.
  9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I agree on taking the reduction with your next shot.

10. Sandy and Black Kitty

Tribal knowledge - gotta love it.:cool:

Absolutley. Please continue to ask questions or raise concerns. Might be helpful to get the vets opinion as well since he will be calling the shots (no pun intended)

IMHO there is potential for getting caught in a 'whack-a-mole' scenario, - a possible pitfall that merits some consideration

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  11. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thanks everyone. I dropped him down to 1U this morning and have canceled my New Year's Eve plans in anticipation for yet another insanely active cycle as this bounce clears today...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.