12/31 Maggie AMPS=128, +2=81, +4=108, PMPS=109, +2=87, +5=87

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...mps-114-2-81-5-85-pmps-112-2-87-5-117.188805/

Not the best AMPS of late. She had been scratching/digging to get out of the laundry room where we keep her at night so she can easily find the box, so I think that might have influenced the AMPS.
    Thank you FDMB members for being so caring and helpful. One couldn't ask for a better support group! :bighug: Wishing everyone a green New Year!

catnip.JPG

2. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I have a question, hope you don't mind me asking it here: I've been wondering, looking at SS like Maggie's, does a drop of insulin really make a difference? 128 is in the normal glycemic range, right, and so seem all the other numbers. So... is the drop really what is keeping her there? Or would she have similar numbers without the drop? Am I right that if she weren't diabetic and had numbers like she's having, we'd say "nothing to see here"?

As Quintus is racing down, I've been wondering at what fraction of a unit of insulin it stops making a difference. If you take a non-diabetic cat and give it a drop of insulin, is that really going to affect its numbers?

I'm curious to learn more about this.

3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

That is a really good question! LOL! I haven't tried going without to see what her BG would do, but I do believe a drop is doing something. So, sorry, I can't really answer your question. Maybe an experienced member can give us some facts. According to info on this site, normal range for a healthy cat is 50-80 on a human meter, so she is still high most of the time.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

That's still a nice AMPS. So many things can influence BG. If she was stressed about wanting out that could raise her numbers a little bit. It's great to see Maggie doing so well overall.
    Once a cat gets into normal numbers and stays there a drop of insulin can keep them surfing in those numbers while their bodies heal and the pancreas (hopefully) starts working again. We recommend keeping cats on insulin as long as possible to help their bodies heal and help them have a successful remission. A drop does make a difference when you get down to it. However, small dose changes like that don't usually help a cat that is not regulated (staying in normal numbers).

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Really not too bad of a start, I think Maggie's just holding off so she can show you a lovely +2 :smuggrin:. Happy New Year's Eve!

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  6. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

A drop does seem to make a difference.......take a look at Rusty's spreadsheet @Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) he is on a micro dose!
    I believe the 128 would be considered within the normal range for a non diabetic kitty however for diabetics we like to keep them lower because it gives the pancreas a chance to heal so that potentially the kitty will go into remission.

7. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Not a bad start for Maggie but so many things can influence their BGs it wouldn't surprise me that her wanting out of the laundry room would raise it. Or it's just because she's a cat :rolleyes:

8. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

9. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Yep, human meter.

10. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Happy New Year’s Eve, Alicia and Maggie! That pesky AMPS is going to come back down, I just know it! Wish she were a little faster about it, though. :bighug:

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes, it can make a difference. We’ve actually had members return with an out of remission cat and the first dose of a drop or 0.1u put them in low numbers. Sometimes the pancreas just needs a good kick.

We like to see cats primarily between 50-80 but under 100 (human meter) before we start a trial. More recent studies give us some insight as to why cats come out of remission so we want to try for a strong remission.

However, your point is well taken that a cat’s body does not know the difference between 95 and 128.

Happy New Year, Alicia and Maggie!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  13. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

Wishing you and Maggie and your family a joyful (and green for Maggie!) New Year, Alicia! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.