12/6 Boomer AMPS 122 +3 110 +6 103 PMPS 121 +3 95

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!

Boomer woke me up last night a few minutes after 2:00. He was by my side of the bed, he meowed once very softly then jumped up and gave me kisses and headbutts. I gave him a few head scritches then he laid down beside me and I put my arm around him. He gave my fingers a good washing then laid his head down and went to sleep. And I went right back to sleep. YAY! He ate all but a tiny amount of each of his fuds last night.

Allen ate reasonably well last night. Yesterday afternoon he had a very small hard poop and last night he had a slightly bigger hard poop. We started the cisapride again yesterday, just one pill a day. At least it makes him feel better for a while although by dinner time (8:00) last night I could tell it had worn off. Tried to give him a cerenia last night and he barfed it so we waited until this morning and gave it in the gel cap along with his cisapride.

Does anyone use a pill popper? Allen absolutely hates to be pilled; it's a real struggle and he drools afterwards sometimes even with the gel cap :rolleyes: it's disgusting:p :eek: not to mention the wear and tear on my right index finger which has tooth marks in it :cat:

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Boomer. How sweet of Boomer to lay down with you instead of begging for you to get up. I've never tried a pill popper, but I've learned to try and put a pill or gelcap in the side of the cats mouth and push back just a little and they have to swallow. If I place it correctly it usually goes right down with no fuss. Good luck figuring out the best way to get Allen's meds in him.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Good boy, Boomer!

I have used a pill popper, unsuccessfully, but I have nothing useful to contribute because I haven't been able to successfully pill Asia since she had dental extractions at age 13. :facepalm: Hope you find a way to do it that is less painful for both of you.

4. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Iv'e used the pill popper successfully. For me it was easier to use the finger and live with the scares :eek:
    Any way you can get liquid and mask in the food?

5. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Nice surfing Boomer and good boy for eating your fuds and giving mama bean some kisses. Hopefully the once a day cisapride will be the right amount to keep things moving for Allen. Pills :eek::eek: Doodles meds were compounded into chewables that he wouldn't eat. However once I opened his mouth and inserted them a few chews and down they went. Leo thinks anything you give him is food and will happily eat it right from my hand:joyful::rolleyes: Moo would rip my face off if I tried so all meds must be compounded into a liquid and requires 2 people for handling.

6. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

What a sweet boy Boomer was last night! :)
    Oh, the adventures of pilling... To avoid pilling, I used to get away with tucking a pill in a soft treat because Maggie tended to swallow them whole. She became savvy to that, so it no longer works. My current method with a pill popper is to sit on the floor and have Maggie in the crook of my left arm with her front feet on my thigh, which elevates her head so I can get a good angle with the pill popper. She'll try to back out, so I sit with my back against the couch so she is boxed in. I bring my left shoulder down to the back of her head to guide her while tilting up. Are you :confused: yet? My left hand come up from underneath her jaw and gently presses on the corners of her mouth which causes her to open her mouth. At the same time, I lean back with my shoulder and left hand, which points her opening mouth up. The pill popper goes in to the back of the mouth and is tilted high so the pill is deposited deep in the throat. This is all one fluid motion, you understand... :rolleyes: Most of the time it works. Sometimes the pill comes back out covered in saliva, sometimes the pill gets stuck in the pill popper :rolleyes:, and sometimes a perfectly dry pill bounces out of the mouth.

7. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Great start for Boomer! I've had success with pill pockets. Usually use 1/2 of one and wrap it around the pill, then put it in with a small amt of the wet food. Wait for all to be eaten then serve the remainder. Small pills work best

8. Judy and Boomer

+3 110
    I did manage to successfully pill Allen twice on my own but generally DH holds him and I do the pilling. But he has a knack of holding it in his mouth; I keep his mouth closed and stroke his throat and try to wait until I'm sure he has swallowed but sometimes that darn pill is still in there. Meanwhile he starts drooling, sometimes even with the gelcaps :rolleyes:. He absolutely hates the liquid diazoxide so it's now being compounded in a pill. I try to follow the pills with some water and the diazoxide (which really really makes him drool) with some butter to encourage him to swallow but I don't think he even likes the butter!
    I've never had a cat that is so problematic pilling! And of course it has to be the cat that has several different pills that he has to take :rolleyes:

9. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I've heard that, while keeping the mouth shut, touching the tip of the nose will make a cat swallow, or blowing on the nose will also make him swallow. Maybe the pill isn't deep enough in the mouth...?

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sam thinks spitting them back out is a game. He will sit there and let me pill him a dozen times without running away. He just thinks it's hilarious to spit it at me as soon as I think he's actually swallowed. I swear I can hear him chuckling. ;):p Blowing on his nose and rubbing his throat does help. making sure it's FAR back in his throat. And having yummy treats at the ready seems to be the best strategy. If I can get him to grab a treat before he spits out the pill he'll usually just swallow both of them.

Since he doesn't mind letting me try over and over, I'm just kind of resigned to the game at this point. i know that most of the time I'll just have to try a few (or many) times before it goes down for real.

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

12. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Love the sweet story about Boomer. :cat:

With regard to pill popper, I have the one @tiffmaxee has recommended and also a smaller one (purchased years ago, but I will see if I can find a link and add it later). My recommendation is to use the smallest implement possible to handle the required medication. Not sure if Cisipride liquid is an option for Allen. Rose takes it compounded in a sugar free liquid 3x / day (along with a whole set of other meds to avoid the small / hard problems now known in my house as "Milk Duds"). We take much more aggressive measures when confronted with "Raisinets". :eek:

13. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

I just dug out some old supplies. Oh - I wasn't ready for that. She has been gone for years, but her bite marks are still on this piller! :( :arghh: :(

Looking at it now, I remember why I liked it better - the shooting mechanism lets you propel the pill better than the one recommended above. You an tell by the amount of movement available for pushing the pill. Links for you from Revival and Amazon. The one I have is "Four Paws".

14. Judy and Boomer

"Milk duds" and "Raisinets" :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

15. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Cats !!!! What are we gonna do ????:eek::woot::facepalm::arghh:

16. Judy and Boomer

+6 103 and PMPS 121 shooting 2u

17. Judy and Boomer

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I am a total failure when it comes to pilling. I hope you have some success with a pill popper. I used one on Stu, but without much success.

Boomer, ya did good today!

19. Judy and Boomer

We tried the new diazoxide capsules last night and it went right down! And even though I followed with a bit of water he still drooled a bit!

20. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I swear by my pill poppers & have used them for years! So easy & I can even pill the most unmanageable kitties with it :) I dreaded the day when I would have to pill my Maine Coon Simon daily & that day came a couple weeks ago. He had a heart ultrasound & we found he has a blood clot in his heart so he's on Plavix for life now. Simon is very "fractious" as they politely refer to him at the vets ;) He's a BIG boy, very strong & he's all teeth & claws when it comes to doing things to him that he doesn't want done. We've got our pilling routine down pretty good now & I'm proud of how well we're both doing in a short time. I found a treat he loves so he only gets that at pill time. I give him the treats first, bring him over to the towel that I wrap around him & then he gets more treats and then I pill him quickly, give him more treats, follow that gently with a syringe of water & give him more treats. The Plavix is very bitter so I put it inside a capsule so even if I don't pill him correctly the first time he doesn't taste the awful medication.

A gentle reminder too (for all of us), whatever method we use for pilling, to always follow with liquid or food to wash it down. Dry pilling can cause serious issues and I've read recently that liquid meds should also be chased with water/food. This is a great article by Dr Lisa Pierson about this: http://catinfo.org/pilling-cats-and...natives-transdermal-medications-pill-pockets/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.