? 12/7 Silver AMPS 313 PMPS 218 - NEWBIE MISTAKE?

Discussion in 'Lantus (Glargine) / Levemir (Detemir)' started by Juliet, Dec 7, 2017.

  1. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
  2. Toro & Ovi

    Toro & Ovi Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2017
  3. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    I think I will have to increase 0.25 to 1.5u given these numbers but I can’t do a curve this weekend. I know it’s mostly guesswork but I believe he can only be getting into the blues at nadir and I haven’t seen a blue preshot on this dose.
     
  4. Alicia & Maggie

    Alicia & Maggie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2017
    Sliver does like his pink, doesn't he? ;) It does look like he's asking for an increase.
     
  5. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    Disappointed. He just keeps going up and up.
     
    Alicia & Maggie likes this.
  6. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    Ok so I have already done it so I am looking for opinion rather than what to do. I cant do a curve this weekend as I am out 9-6 on Saturday and 9-3 on Sunday (planning on doing a mini curve tomorrow night as long as I can stay awake but at least to the +6). So, because I cant do the curve and Silver's numbers (not just his amps and pmps as I have a few evening tests too) are mostly pink with a few yellow thrown in - I decided to increase tonight. I know I know - SLGS says wait a week but this is my reasoning - it takes a day or so for the new dose to take effect so I thought by increasing tonight I may see effect on Sunday when I am home more in the afternoon to test and see what's going on rather than increase on Sunday like I did last week and not see effects until I am back and work and less likely to test.

    BUT, he threw me his lowest preshot number in a while today - just 12.1 (218). And I had already filled the syringe so I gave him the 1.5u. I am heading out in 15 mins for a couple hrs but I can test him at +3 when he starts to go lower.

    Ok - thoughts - dumb move? Unfixable?
     
  7. Stacy & Asia

    Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2017
    Well it's done, I don't think anyone is here to flog you or rake you over the coals about it.

    The guidelines are there for your cat's safety and also so others can help. If you go up or down too quickly, nobody knows what the dose was really doing because of that tricky depot thing and the less data for SLGS. And then when it comes time to help, it's more guesswork involved. Following the guidelines takes some of the guesswork out of the equation.

    Silver looks like he is nearing a proper dose and that's when you really want to proceed with caution, you don't want to shoot past a good one, but especially on SLGS because you can't test as much or even at all in between cycles in the am. Yes it can take a couple days to see what the dose is really doing (because of the depot), but it could also make a difference right away. With Asia, I've typically seen action in the first 1-2 cycles on an increase and on a decrease it takes a few to see what's going on. Every cat is different.

    If you can try to get in a test or two tonight and if at all possible and a +1 or +2 tomorrow (that can usually tell you if a cycle will be active vs say, a bounce), that would be awesome.

    Good luck with the dosecrease. :cat:
     
  8. Tracey&Jones

    Tracey&Jones Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2016
    There is always do overs with dosing as long as we keep the kitty safe.


    Silver is pretty pink. I can see you logic.
     
    LizzieInTexas likes this.
  9. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks. I can get a test in tonight as I just got home and it’s bedtime. I can’t get +1 or +2 as I leave for work 45 mins after AMPS which is at 6am. I’ll try on the evening cycle which funnily enough is usually higher than the daytime tho I’ve seen many say they can run lower at night. Yes I probably should have waited when I saw that lower preshot. Too late to go back to 1.25 and wait until Sunday?
     
  10. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks. I like do-overs. Waiting another 15 mins to grab a +4 before bed.
     
  11. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    And the +4 is 17.5. I know the new dose won’t have kicked in yet tho.
     
  12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

    Sienne and Gabby (GA) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    It is early for a dose increase when following SLGS. However, if you were following TR, you would be increasing. In other words, you've not done anything terrible especially if you want to move your dose increases earlier in the week so you have a better chance of seeing the effect of an increase over a weekend (providing Silver cooperates).

    I would not encourage you to try to blend the two dosing methods on a routine basis. If it's an occasional thing, that's fine. SLGS dosing allow you more flexibility than TR but it makes it harder to interpret a SS and lend a hand if we can't sort out how you're approaching the process. I would give some thought to whether you want to consider using TR, though. It's often necessary to be a bit more aggressive with a kitty that's fallen out of remission.

    Aside from the vet thinking that IBD was the problem, did Silver have a thorough check up when numbers went back up? Is there any chance your kitty needs a dental? Dental issues are often the cause for a kitty to fall out of remission.

     
  13. Juliet

    Juliet Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks. There are many reason why I cannot do TR and I’ve explained in previous condos. Not possible with my schedule at all.
     

Share This Page