12/8 Asia AMPS 265, +4 180, PMPS 323, +2 347, +6 319

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/12-7-asia-amps-129-2-77-3-59-5-92-pmps-135.187683/

Looked like an active cycle was going to happen last night and then she just froze for a bit and then started back up. Was happy for that, I almost forgot what sleep was like. :rolleyes:

AMPS 265, it's a bounce. I'm hoping the space exploration is behind her and she can have a respectable bounce in the yellows and nothing more.

Made a vet visit for Thursday to address her arthritis and get some labs done when nothing serious is going on. This will be her first visit at the new vet I interviewed, I liked the all cat practice and wasn't keen on his approach with FD, but he didn't seem reluctant to let me do my own thing. My take these days is finding a vet that is hip to the latest on FD is like looking for the last unicorn. :joyful:

PetSafe 5 question. I'm using it at night and don't really need it during the days, but it would be nice to have the option to use it in the daytime if I know Asia has to be alone and I'm worried about her going too low. Do you have to reprogram it every time if you want to switch between night and day? I have all 4 settings to do night feedings currently.

KATIE&ovie likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice that you got some sleep last night. I hope Asia slides back down today.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for sleep! :joyful: Hope Asia's bounce settles quickly.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Nice analogy :p Letting you do what you do with FD is the best case scenario.

Beautiful cycles Miss Asia...nice and easy head back on down.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Hope Asia turns in a great day!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  6. KATIE&ovie

KATIE&ovie Member

Yay for sleep!

I hope you like this new vet. That's cool that they don't mind you taking the reins on her FD management. My vet isn't really hip to what's new with FD. He admits that too. Of the 3 vets we've seen I've liked him the most. He was the only one that didn't suggest euthanasia.

I hope Asia comes on down from this bounce gently with no bouncing to the moon.:cat:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  7. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Amen to that, back in the early 90's , our first FD cats Ratty and Floyd, our vet suggested euthanasia . We switched vets and had the boys for another 12 years. They both went over 20 years old.

8. Stacy & Asia

OMG! Are you serious? :mad: Ovie is like a model FD cat. That is insane! I'm so glad you didn't listen to them!

Wouldn't be a bad idea to send them a little follow up on Ovie and how well he is doing, if for no other reason than they think twice with the next sad and scared bean with an FD cat that shows up at their practice.

9. KATIE&ovie

KATIE&ovie Member

I know. I was telling my husband that I can't believe we even considered it. They were telling me how hard and expensive it was to manage. Money was/is tight and we thought we couldn't swing it.

I have a vet tech friend that told me they didn't think they could manage a diabetic cat if they had one and to think about putting him down. I don't there is a lot of diabetic pet education in vet school maybe?

I should send his spread sheet.
    That gives me a lot of hope for Ov that he may have a long life.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  10. Stacy & Asia

I know cat's aren't people, but I think most people do consider them to be family! I just have to laugh a bit when I reverse the scenario, because it sounds so absurd. "Sorry Ms. So and So, your child has diabetes, and while we could treat it, it's a bit of a hassle and it costs a lot of money, I think it's time to consider letting go." :rolleyes::banghead:

11. KATIE&ovie

KATIE&ovie Member

I know.. it's craziness.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  12. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

The UC Davis, the N.1 vet school nationwide has 5 hours total on diabetes for small animals - dogs AND cats, can you believe it?!:eek: The degree of ignorance among vet community is astonishing, sadly.
    This is funny :joyful::joyful: and if it ever happened then it smells like a law suit, too, with a hefty settlement on the horizon.;)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  13. Stacy & Asia

I can, it's looks to be similar to the amount of hours human doctors have to spend on nutrition! :joyful:

Vets probably don't get too many nutrition hours in either, considering how hard they push the lobbied prescription kibble diets. Which probably contributes to the number of diabetes diagnoses. :banghead:

And yes on the second part, completely unethical!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  14. Stacy & Asia

Back in the bounce house again. PMPS 323

15. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Oddly, myself and himself were just saying virtually the same thing. Practices are also a business .
    Whilst our vet practice are lovely people & clearly they care, I kinda get the impression that because Ty is 19 going on 20 he is seen as a geriatric that has had a good innings , so accept any decline whilst keeping the cat comfy. Meanwhile keep feeding the renal diet & jabbing in the insulin blind.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  16. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I've heard very experienced members saying that the only nutro training a vet gets comes from the manufacturers of the dry food/ Rx food sale reps - hence the diabetes in epidemic proportion, in the US , at least...And the more one sells of the product the greater the Xmas bonus is... It is just the same in human "health management" , believe me, I have an insider's look.
    Truly sad state of affairs. :( The allopathic medicine is not designed to get the patient well or to prevent him/her from getting sick- only to deal with his ailments once they are manifest. :blackeye::blackeye:

The good note: Asia's SS looks delightful! :DI hope she'll get steady/ stable in the blue green shades soon.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. Stacy & Asia

I'm calling it, she's going on another deep space mission. :blackeye:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.