12/8 Myagi amps 144 - 0.5u shot, +2 98, +3.5 73, +4 72, +6 97, +8 198, +10 262, pmps 267, +2 333

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Myagi (GA) and Heidi, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Amps 144, 0.5 shot, ate well, good mood. I'll be staying home to run his curve. Keep 're reading everything in stickies and know thy cat and ecid definitely seems to apply here with Myagi (hence not holding the shot). So please keep an eye on us and hope mommy didn't screw up!

2. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning. I peeked at Myagi's spreadsheet and am happy to see that you've been getting some PM mid-cycle tests in.
    Are you referring to the part in the SLGS sticky that says don't shoot if your cat is new to insulin and the pre-shot number is below 150?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  3. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Yup that's the guideline.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I think you're good considering that 139 you shot on 12/03 (oops;)) , it's day 7 and you're staying home to do a curve.
    You are doing the best thing for Myagi by taking the guidelines so seriously.
    I'll be at work today but stopping by to see how the curve is going.
    Glad you started the Zobaline :cat:

5. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Just gotta say Myagi as a sugar cat is so different than the guy that's made me love him from afar all these years! To take the treat out of my hand and let me kiss his head while doing it!!! Never before. Sleeps with me. Never before. There is a silver lining!

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

98 is not a number to freak about, but it's a +2 so it looks like you will have an active cycle and you need to keep a close watch. Do you have lots of test strips and some higher carb food?

7. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Yeah. That was definitely an oops! Lol. Have a great day at work and thanks for watching out for us! Big hugs. So relieved to finally have the zobaline. Hope he sees the rapid improvements that seem to be prevalent! Does zobaline increase appetite? Cause he's voracious this am!

8. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Yes ma'am to all. Have the extra supplies and the hypo kit and will be watching and loving and testing him all day. My emoticons are not posting today for some reason so.... big hugs!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  9. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Old school, I like it!

10. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Okay, just saw the +2. If Myagi were my cat I would feed him a little wet food right now that is about 8-10% carbs. You will want to slow him down a bit because as Stacy said, this is very early in the cycle, the insulin isn't fully kicked in yet, so you gotta slow his roll.

11. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

He's been eating low carb off and on all morning. So even though it's a greater quantity of food than normal should I still add some mid carb? Thanks!

12. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I would just give him a tablespoon or so of mid to high carb food now to slow him down.
    You DON'T want to over feed him with a lot of food right now because you may need to keep steering into the cycle with food to keep his numbers up today. We want to make sure he will have an appetite later on as well.
    We want to take this early drop seriously as we don't know how easy it isto keep Myagi's numbers up with carbs is yet. AKA how carb sensitive he is.

13. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Gave tbsp of 11 carb. Hugs

14. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Probably a good idea to test again about a half an hour after Myagi ate the 11%. Would that be about 15 minutes from now?
    Also, I keep forgetting to ask which meter you are using, I don't see it in your signature.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Arkray glucocard. Sent by dcin. Used mom's accu check in beginning.

16. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

17. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

18. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Are you sure? Mine had memory.
    Speaking of which, did you get another test to see if the 11% is holding Myagi steady?

19. Stacy & Asia

I have the same one, it does have a memory, check out the instructions how to access it. Off the top of my head, I think you hold down the orange arrow for a few seconds (without a strip interested).

20. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+3.5 73. Gave another spoon of 11%. He's in great mood though... active alert eating etc. Gonna test again in 20.

21. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Great! That 11% slowed him down without totally stopping him in his tracks. He sounds like such a sweetie :bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

23. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

If you get a chance, I found it extremely helpful to notate everything in the spreadsheet under "REMARKS" when I had to steer with food.
    It was suggested to me in the beginning by others and I want to pass it on to you. It really helped me to be able go back and see what helped in the past so I could get the hang of it. You can check out Uncle's spreadsheet and see how I made notes on the days (mostly nights, FUN :blackeye:) that I had to steer.

24. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

This has turned him into the biggest love bug! Can't tell you how much I want to just eat him up! His whole life he hung with other kitties but didn't want anything touchy feely. Would make love eyes at you from across room if you talked to him or touch your heart and blow kiss. But don't invade his space. Now he's like wow mom so this is what Millie life is like! Hugs and kisses and cuddles and bed sleeping. I'm so happy for the change!

25. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+4 72. Def slowing. Little more 11% but had to use the 8% evo to get him to come test - I think he's "over this" lol. Don't worry though I only gave him 5 little pieces. :)

26. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Ok, so far so good.

Just a heads-up for tonight. Since Myagi has dipped below 90 already (even before his nadir and with higher carb food on board to keep him up), I believe the SLGS guidelines would recommend a .25 reduction. AND if he were my cat I would make sure his numbers are coming up on their own (not food influenced) before PMPS.

I DON'T GIVE DOSING ADVICE so please post for help as the afternoon wears on, so that you can feel confident about tonight's dose options.

27. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Sounds good. @Chris & China will you be around later? Btw I am not panicking at all. Just dancing with my arm very tight around my partner's waist! But do want need and appreciate guidance! Xoxo

28. Stacy & Asia

I agree, make sure he has no food 2 hours before PMPS (assuming you're not in a hypo situation, of course, then you need to be feeding him) and make sure he is on the rise, without food influence, before making your PM shot decision.

Definitely get some input from others who know/follow SLGS. Would not be a bad idea to ask now, that way you're not waiting for a response come shot time.

29. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

And another btw, that'll be crazy if reduction needed. I struggle to only get 0.5 to begin with. Argh. Lol

30. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey
    We're not in crisis, but will you be around later for eyes, guidance should he decide he wants to cha cha instead of waltz?

And if anyone can recomend some other senior folks who aren't east coast, I'll take that too! Thanks!!

31. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+6 97, fd chicken treat plus tsp 6%.

32. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

After this I would probably only feed him low carbs to see where he goes on his own

33. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+8 198, ate little low carb. His poor ears! I can't wait to be done with curve!
    If I'm honest, I don't really understand why +8 is that much higher. 11% and 6% small portions don't seem that extreme. And shouldn't nadir be around +6/+8. Not to be a total moron but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to intuit from his numbers today (except maybe to skip or stall the shot if he's under 150).

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  34. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

You are more than likely seeing a "bounce". Myagi has never been in such low numbers and his body simply isn't used to it yet. There are many people on the board who can give great explanations on what bouncing is and why it is etc.
    Hopefully they'll chime in.

I know today you were going to do a curve to try to get a good idea of how the .5u dose of insulin is affecting Myagi. That is usually pretty uneventful. It turned into a day of testing and steering with food to keep him safe instead. Which is something to learn from as well.

It's good that you reached out to some folks about tonight's dose. I would give his little ears a break for awhile.

35. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Any carbs from wet food, no matter how high or low shouldn't affect his BG after 2 hours.

36. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Barbara & Uncle that's so funny cause if I was looking at someone else's thread, I'd see it as a bounce. So tunnel vision with our own babies!

37. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

38. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+10 262. Bouncy bouncy mommy's fault lesson learned.... can't rush things! I'm only being less hard on myself because he had such a great day. But I shouldn't have put his body through that. Hopefully he levels quickly.

39. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Please don't be too hard on yourself, low numbers and bounces are part of the deal.

I have a couple of thoughts regarding today after looking at Myagi's spreadsheet again. His numbers MAY have still been falling (not rising) when you gave him insulin this morning. If you had stalled your AMPS (not fed and not shot) and retested in about a half an hour you may have been able to tell which way he was going, heading up or down. AND you probably would have wanted to wait and make sure he was headed up, especially because his AM test was under 150.

Also, perfect example of what a +2 can reveal about the coming cycle. It was very clear at that point Myagi's cycle was going to be ACTIVE and something to pay attention to ;)

40. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Woo hoo!! Look at all those pretty green numbers!!:D:D:D

Just think, for at least 5 wonderful hours today, Myagi's pancreas was resting and healing!!

Do it again, Myagi!! (maybe not tonight...I'm sure the bean could use a little relaxation time after today!)

41. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Glad you're on Chris. I'm going out for the evening and I know Heidi is curious about Myagi's PM dose

42. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Barbara & Uncle. Too right @Chris & China !! Those pretty numbers are the end game if at all possible but yeah I don't to put either him or me through more inn this particular time window. Lol. But soon is good for exactly what you said! Going to test in a couple minutes for pmps. Bummer just missed oppty to ketone test. Have never done yet. Should i be? How long before I try to a real curve again? Happy dancing because you didn't chew me a new one! Lol. But if there are some lessons you want to reinforce please don't hesitate. I can take it! Cause anything for my baby!

43. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Pmps 267. Eating well. Shooting 0.5.

44. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's actually better than I thought it'd be!!

The +2 will tell us a lot about what might happen later in this cycle though, but it's nice that he hasn't bounced any higher (yet anyway)

I agree with Barbara though...you might want to stall the next time you get a Preshot under 150....don't feed and test again in 20-30 minutes.

We suggest that for everyone who doesn't have a lot of data on how their cats respond to both insulin and food, so it's just for safety. As you learn more about Myagi, you'll start to shoot lower and lower Pre-shots. I'll shoot China if she's 50 or above, but it took a long time for me to gradually work down to where I felt I knew her well enough to shoot those lower numbers.

All in all, you've had a good day! Here's hoping for a quiet night too!!

45. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Thank you! He's napping but after dinner he was bright eyed playful and smiley. He warms my heart! I promise to stall if happens again! If +2 is good I think we'll both rest well!

46. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.