13yo FDSH diagnosis, totally new to this!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lannister80, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lannister80

lannister80 New Member

Hi! Joining the club, new to both diabetes treatment in general, as well as feline diabetes.

Our 13yo girl (have had her since she was 4mo) was been drinking a LOT of water and peeing a LOT over the last week or two, but otherwise seemed normal. Looked up the symptoms, thought it could be diabetes, took her to the vet.

Urine test strip showed 4+ ketones, so the admitted her (I know, I should have just let them give her some subcue fluids in retrospect) for about 24 hours on a slow-drip IV. Sent her home with me after 24 hours to see if she'd eat (she refused to eat the vet, typical "I'm on strike" behavior). She ate a bunch, so vet was no longer concerned it was severe pancreatitis.

Brought her back this morning for her final vet-administered insulin injection and to take home supplies and such. After about 20 hours of no insulin (vetsulin, the 12-hour stuff), she popped 401 on the glucose meter.

So, I've got my vial of vetsulin ($45), some needles (getting more at Walmart for $13/100), and a Vet Glucose meter I'm going to take back to the vet now that I know I can use a human one for much cheaper.

Going to give my first injection of 1 unit tonight (cat weighs 10.36lbs), wish me luck!

2. lannister80

lannister80 New Member

Apparently Walmart only stocks U100 syringes, and my vet doesn't want me to use those (even enough I'm not an idiot and can give 2.5 U100 units = 1 U40 units). Ah well, they're cheap online ($14/100).

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Post any/all questions on the main health forum so more people see them.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

5. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

Welcome! Sooo glad you're going to be home testing. I used the Alphatrak in the beginning, the strips are crazy expensive. I preferred the human meter because since the strips were cheaper, I could test more often. Just know if you have used it at all, it cannot be returned as it's a blood thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.