14 Year Old Black Female part Siamese Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phillip Clearman, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phillip Clearman

Phillip Clearman New Member

Hello everyone, my cat, her name is Kiwi and she has been diagnosed diabetes to be treated with insulin injections.

My biggest problem now is how intimidated I feel by the circumstances and how right now she has no appetite, and so force feeding with a syringe is the way I have to go, and you can imagine how fun that must be.
    I also feel bad in that I find myself almost hoping she doesn’t have too much longer to live because then there are fewer chances I have to screw this up and cause her to die/no choice but euthanasia. but I love this cat, I’ve had her since she was a newborn. I’m hopeful I can get used to this but its a struggle. My vet and some technicians agree and have encouraged me that this will get better, but I feel almost forced in this position where I either take the time and money to take care of her or she will die. I have to wonder how people who couldn’t afford this handle it. Anyways, I am hopeful this gets easier once her appetite returns, but even so she isn’t quite the same. How I wish I could go back in time a week ago when I was blissfully unaware of what challenges I would have to be facing this week. I don’t want her to die or to have to give her up but I just want my good old sweet noisy little part Siamese back.

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Welcome Philip and Kiwi!

Diabetes is definitely an overwhelming diagnosis, but it is treatable and manageable! I know it probably seems like a lot right now, but once you and Kiwi get used to the routine, it’ll be no problem :) There are also lots of suggestions here to help make it much more affordable - that was certainly one of my biggest concerns when I was first starting out, as doing everything through the vet was crazy expensive. Be sure to post on the main health forum if you have any questions! Lots of great people here to help you and Kiwi!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The vet is absolutely right. It gets so much easier. I remember well how I felt when my cat was diagnosed 3 years ago. I cried for 12 hours straight. I thought there was no way I could do this... But as the days went on it became more routine and she started feeling more herself.

Diabetes is not a death sentence and is very treatable. They can live long healthy lives with it. We are here to help!!!

It is expensive in the beginning but we can help point you in less expensive directions.

Setting up a signature would be helpful. Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, date diagnosed, insulin type, food you're feeding, meter you use to test, and any other health concerns.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

5. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Member

Welcome. I had those same feelings when Jack was diagnosed. I wasn't sure whether I could do this, and had thoughts of rehoming him. And he was so sick. He wouldn't come out from under our bed. And I was so stressed and Jack picked up on my stress. I just wanted my sweet, silly Jack back.

So after a good cry, I decided to take control of the situation. It was the best day when I found this group.

I started home testing. It was tough at first with both Jack and me trying to figure out how this would all work. I cried for joy the first day of successful poking and testing. Tear of joy because I knew we would get through this together.

And once I started home testing and posting on the spreadsheet, I received guidance and support from members of this group. I felt so comforted that I wasn't alone and folks were out there supporting me and Jack through our journey back to good health.

Once Jack was regulated, he started feeling so much better and he knew that the pokes and the shots were good for him so he relaxed. And my Jack is back to being his sweet, silly self.

So as the first line says, take a deep breath. There are a lot of folks here ready to help you get Kiwi back to good health.

6. Phillip Clearman

Phillip Clearman New Member

Hello everyone, thank you very much for all of your advice. However Kiwi’s condition became worse very suddenly and most likely she had FIP, a degenerative disease that has no treatments. After learning of how severe her condition was I made the very difficult choice of letting her go. She is at piece now. Again. Thank you all for everything and the encouragement and the kind words. I hope you all can do the best for your cats as well.

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

So very sorry, Phillip. It's a very tough decision, but you made it with love. Peace and comfort to your grieving heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.