? 146 preshot, should I shoot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lynn_and_River, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn_and_River

Lynn_and_River New Member

Hi all,
    River has been switched from 1 unit of Lantis to 1.5 for a little more than a week now. At 11AM I took her preshot and it read 146, which has been the lowest she's ever been. I've read through the stickies, but would still like opinions on if I should give her, her AM dose? Also, she has now eaten her lunch. Thank you!
    EDIT: I just tested her again and she is 278, so I am going to give her insulin. I don't know how to delete this thread.

previous posts

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Sharon14 likes this.
  2. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

What time do you normally shoot? We usually shoot every 12 hours so my shoot time was always 615 am and 615pm
    I’d see what the group says for later it’s always best to try and stick to a consistent shoot time and since you have just **** at lunch time I’m guessing they will say to skip tonight and resume at the normal time tomorrow.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

No reason to delete this condo. I’m glad you did shoot. She’s bouncing from a lower number than she is used to but I’d still get a mid cycle test.

4. Lynn_and_River

Thank you. Ive updated her spread sheet. Shes been in the 400s now for the past 3 checks. Seems high for her :(

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Remember, when you shoot tonight, it needs to be at least a half hour later than normal. You can then resume the normal time tomorrow morning.

Bounces can be high, and scary, but the good thing is that they break and the numbers come down. The trick is to be testing enough to catch the break. Being high for short periods won't hurt her. However, being too low, even for an instant, will, so that's why we harp on testing.

I don't see any tests at night most days, even a Pre-shot test. Please remember, no matter how high the BG was the last time you tested, it can still drop and make it unsafe to give insulin, so it's safest to ALWAYS test before shooting. Also, getting at least one test in the nighttime cycle will help fill in the blanks - think of the spreadsheet like a jigsaw puzzle - the more pieces you put in, the clearer the picture becomes.

Since you are fairly new here, I want to share a post we put together to help new members get comfortable here. Forgive me if you've already read it.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/updated-tips-for-new-members.173572/

Nicole Z likes this.
  6. Lynn_and_River

Thank you so much Tricia and Harvey! Sorry for the late reply. I know I need to be better at testing her at night. I give her insulin at 11am and 11pm, so late night testing can be difficult after her shot. Thank you all for being so helpful. Sometimes all the information is so overwhelming and its hard to trust myself that what I'm doing is right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.