? 17/5 Djoko - amps: 594 - any suggestions for anti oxydants - reduce inflammation of pancreas?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marj & Djoko, May 17, 2020.

1. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/15-5-djoko-amps-598-5-455-could-a-reduction-reduces-
    bouncing.229646/

Hello,
    Djoko seemed very well yesterday - even climbed a high chair and suddenly vomited a lot.
    I would like to know if you have any remedy to help reducing the inflammation of the pancreas for chronic pancreatitis. We give him cerenia when he vomits but can you give him this as a long term remedy ? Any side effects?

He seems to have more and more flat episodes: I am wondering if this is caused by bouncing only. It may wel vary based on the level of inflammation of his pancreas.

He eats a pack of forti flora everyday. Any other suggestions e.g. anti oxydants or so that could help?

Thank you.
    Marjorie

2. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

oh ok! maybe too complicated questions !?

3. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I'm giving this a bump, maybe someone with experience will see it.

Did you ask your vet for suggestions? It's harder now, I know. I took my cat to the vet last week, and kept having to call them with questions I forgot to ask.

I looked at your spreadsheet, I know the high numbers are scary. But the 200s and 300s look nice. As he adjusts to this dose, you may see more good numbers.

4. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I don't understand what bump refers to and I have seen this expression often on the website.
    My vet does not seem to have any clue and I am thinking about finding another one. Four months later, she still does not have a clue and Djoko seems to be afflicted with a new disease every month although nothing can be confirmed unless $$$$. I have been to bring his first urine of the morning (what does that even mean for cats) because the results that I received from two weeks ago may not be accurate.
    She suggests not changing the dose because he has dropped to 3.3 once but what about all the other values in the 20s and 30s?
    She asks around because she does not understand how come he reacts super well on one day and then he seems insulin resistant. For me, it is the pancreatitis issue but this is just me.
    So my opinion of vets today is pretty low frankly. I hope he will feel better soon. We are losing time with vets incompetency.

5. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

When a thread gets a new post, it gets "bumped" to the top of the page. I posted in this thread to send it back up to the top of the page, so people would notice it.

I think you should post a new thread about the pancreatitis, since this thread is a few days old. Even if it's at the top of the page, they may think it's old and that your questions have been answered.

I'm sorry to hear that you have trouble with your vet. I know how frustrating that is. I hope you can find a new vet, a good vet. What "new diseases" has the vet said he has?

I am really new to all this, but I see that you've only been giving a dose of 1.5 for a few days. I suggest staying at that dose for a few more days. It takes time to see how well a dose is working. He's been down in the 200s and 100s a few times, that's good!

With the "Start Low Go Slow" method, you usually stay at a dose for a week. Djoko's numbers have been coming down a little, they might come down even more.

I hope Djoko feels good and is enjoying himself! And I hope the same for you.

Marj & Djoko likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We decide how to change the dose based on how low the dose takes the cat. However, you say you are following your vet’s advice for dosing instead of our methods here, so we cannot help you with dosing,

7. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I spoke to my vet and she said to keep 1.5U because he went to 3.3. I will keep 1.5U for 7 days and see. My vet changes her mind a lot because she was thinking of increasing as well but asked advice the internalist and then said 1.5U would be sufficient - in case one day he responds well to insulin. I know that if his nadir are not below 7, it would be best to increase but it is sure that this 3.3 was special and happened not a long time ago.
    Frankly, I dont know what to think anymore :).

He is now on cerenia every second day to see if that may help with his response to insulin. I will create a new thread.
    Thank you Wendy.

8. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I asked to do a urine test to see if his kidneys were OK. I asked about the procedure and they told me bring his urine within an hour - which I did. Apparently we have to do it again because it was not his first. So now he has chronis pancreatitis (11.3 fPLI) which I suspected for a while given his vomitting and inconsistent response to insuline. He may have IDB but we would need to do a biospy and now renal disease because some values are odd.
    I will create a new thread today.