17yr. old Civie Cat with CRF

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pixiesmom, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixiesmom

pixiesmom Member

Well, last week I found out Pixie had diabetes and now my 17yr. old civie Keegan has CRF.
    Need to do a diet change as he has been on Tuna Fancy Feast.
    He is a stickler when changing foods (although he did gobble up Pixies Salmon Fancy Feast this morning)
    I have a can of prescription food from the vets which I know he's not going to eat.
    I did find Tanyas web site which will take me some time to get through.
    Any tips from you that have a CRF kitty and tricks that you may have used to get a diet change
    to work.
    Thanks again!!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear your civie Keegan has CRF. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} Take lots of deep breaths.

Are you giving fluids yet? Any medications? Do you know what stage it is?

Do a slow transition from the old wet food to the new one. Mixing a very small amount of the new food, 1 teaspoon, into the old food. Slowly mix in more of the new food and less of the old food.

Here is a shortcut list with <10% carbs and < 250 phosphorus for CRF kitties. That way, either cat could eat these foods and be ok.

Hope this helps.

3. pixiesmom

pixiesmom Member

Thank you so much for this list.....
    I have no idea what stage he is at.
    Vet saw him this am and said that we should treat this as CRF due to symptoms and age.

He already receives thyroid meds....and thyroid is great....we will change diet and see how it goes.
    If he needs more testing then we will address that next.

4. sophie

sophie Member

Hi, Lauri! So sorry! Don't know how long Keegan's been on a tuna diet but if it's been a long time, you may wish to ask your vet if the symptoms have anything to do with too much mercury. Good luck! Best wishes, Sophie

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might add 1-2 tablespoons of distilled water to the canned food to help keep the hydration up without adding more minerals that need to be processed through the kidneys.

6. pixiesmom

pixiesmom Member

I am so happy to say that Keegan took to the Friskies Special Diet Salmon canned food
    that was recommended.
    He's a tough one and this was going to be my biggest battle.

It's been a rough week....Pixie diagnosed with diabetes and Keegan with CRF.

I don't think I could ever work at a vets office or SPCA...i would be bringing home every sick animal that
    people could no longer care for.
    I'd be a crazy cat lady @-)

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yeah on Keegan liking the Friskies Special Diet cat foods. That must have been such a relief to have him eat those.

We have a few of those here. And crazy cat guys too. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.