18yo Renal cat now has diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cleanprophet, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleanprophet

cleanprophet Member

My elderly 18yo siamese cat Poppy was diagnosed with diabetes just about a week ago. She's had renal issues for 3 or 4 years and that condition has been managed well. I'd take urine samples to the vet every month to have the proteins checked (the more proteins, the less well the kidneys are functioning). The proteins have been steady for quite some time. She has also been making visits to the vet every 3 months for a check up and a blood pressure check (she has amodip and fortekor to keep the blood pressure under control).

She starts losing weight gradually. 10 days ago her urine was tested. The proteins were still consistent with previous tests, but her glucose was a bit high (I don't know the numbers but was told the glucose was high but not immediately suggestive of diabetes). The next day she started drinking more, urinating more and peeing outside the litter tray. She was taken in to the vets and placed on IV because she was started to become dehydrated (something which is even more of a concern with her renal issues). They then took some bloods and found the glucose was high. At that point, they were unsure whether this was pancreatitis and/or diabetes. Over the next 3 days they monitored the bloods and decided she had to start on insulin (I think they possibly could have started her on insulin sooner, but she was on IV's and being monitored closely). The vet she was concerned about ketoacidosis and so she was started on insulin last Monday (one unit to begin with). I decided to bring her home on the Tuesday evening after she had been in for 5 days and was looking a bit withdrawn and depressed. Earlier in that day, she was seriously withdrawn and unresponsive. The vet seeing her then (unfortunately, the vet I've been seeing for the last few years has been away on holiday and returns tomorrow) was concerned and started to suggest whether treatment should continue. I shut him down and when I return 5 hours later, she was up and about and her temperature was better. That's when I took her home.

She never had an issue with obesity, so this diabetes problem is caused by an issue with the pancreas other than a build up of fat on/in the liver. She had been losing weight, especially on the hind legs. Again, with her age and renal issues this can happen and so it's tough to know if the weight loss is down these things, the diabetes or (most probably) a bit of all of these things.

She has signs of diabetic neuropathy, so yesterday I started her on a Vitamin B complex that has added methyl-B12 (3 drops equals 3-4mg of B12).

Because of her weight loss, I've had to give her whatever food she will eat until I get her glucose under control. But I do have some diabetic food ready for when she will eat it (Royal Canin Diabetec wet food).

I've been giving her insulin injections since she returned him and I started testing her blood glucose on Friday. Her insulin is given at 10am and 10pm (she has the slower releasing prozinc insulin) and I test her bloods before her 10am shot, around 3pm-4pm and then again just before her 10pm shot.

At the moment she is still a bit up and down in her behaviour and there were a number of times over the last week were I have been so concerned about her that I started to think her time had come. But she is improving each day and getting better with each day. Last night she actually searched out one of her litter trays and used it (first time in a week or two). Generally, her appetite is good and she is drinking nicely.

I've been told that it will take 2-3 weeks to really get control of the glucose and get the insulin dose spot on. I'm finding that her glucose levels are up around 30mmol/L - 35mmol/L in the evening before her insulin. In the morning it varies a little. Earlier in the week it was up at 29mmol/L, the following day down to 15.2mmol/L. Today it was 25mmol/L.

I've only tested once during the day and that was done yesterday. It was 5.2mmol/L yesterday (about 6 hours after her insulin) and that's been the best reading so far. I'll test again today and see how it compares.

Is it worth testing the ketones in the urine or is that only something to do if you are not checking the bloods?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m glad you are hometesting, that will keep Poppy safe and let you know how well the prozinc is working. Getting those Preshot tests is very important, but getting some tests midcycle will help you, your vet and us to determine the proper dose. As for ketone testing, that is also highly recommended. It is much easier and less expensive to treat ketones as soon as they show up as ketoacidosis can come on quickly and be deadly. Come to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about Poppy. If you tell us what country you are in we can point you towards some cheaper foods that will help her with diabetes as well as her kidney issues. Hope to see you there!

3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Hi and a big welcome to you and Poppy. You have found a fantastic community of people who have a wealth of experience and knowledge. I'm a relative newbie myself but I thank my lucky stars every day that I stumbled upon this forum. I see that you have set up your signature, have you also set up your spreadsheet? you can find this on the board Tech support. It is invaluable to all here and helps the members when advising you on the proper care for Poppy. I'm sure you are feeling a little overwhelmed and scared but you have taken a great step. If you have any further questions be sure to post on either the prozinc board or the main feline health board going forward as there are more eyes on these, than the introduction board. Don't be shy in asking questions and there are no questions that are dumb. We've all been there and know how you feel, and its the way we have all learned. :)

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.