19 may satina fasciculation

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by piri, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piri

piri Member

2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi--
    I am not a expert by any means but I have seen many cats do this and it has always appeared to be a nerve reaction (the paw movement) or I have also seen it be a prelude to a possible seizure with the head wobbling-
    I am sure others will have more insight....:bighug:

3. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

4. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

6. piri

piri Member

Never, and i don't know really what it is.
    I am trying to upload a longer video.

7. piri

piri Member

8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

she definitely has a small intermittent tremor....

what does your vet think?
    Can you get some diagnostic tests?

9. jayla-n-Drevon

I had a cat that did this... it started in her later years (about 18) and she began to have seizures ... However, because I was able to see when it was more evident I was able to give her a little valium to avoid or lessen a seizure. She had a happy life and her passing was not related to it. She passed at 21.

10. jayla-n-Drevon

My vet had no idea what it was..... at 18 I did not want to put her thru tests-
    she had bloodwork done regularly and it was all good (she had CRF) there was nothing in the blood to indicate the tremor.

11. piri

piri Member

ok.
    i know my cat, and i'll make only complete blood test.
    however...
    what is a seizure?
    how could i do if she has one?

12. piri

piri Member

yes, may be blood test.
    not more.
    she wouldn't.
    thank you very much.

13. piri

piri Member

did she used to groom more?
    because she does.

14. jayla-n-Drevon

A seizure is caused by many different reasons and the severity can be vastly different each time
    It is scary to watch.
    They will basically lose conscious thoughts and have involuntary movements
    Jerking and stiff legs
    They can lose bladder and bowel control.
    It is important to make sure they are not near stairs or dangerous objects.
    They can bite and are not aware of who or what they are biting. I would put a towel around my Tasha and gently try to contain her until it was over. Hers did not last long maybe 2/3 minutes.
    They will be exhausted after a siezure.
    I was able to predict pretty good after I saw how she acted before one came and the Valium avoided about 95% of them.

15. piri

piri Member

How many drops?
    Valium before a seizure?
    As therapy?
    Does it contains sugar?
    Thank you

16. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

i can't tell if you read this....

Tremors in Cats

Tremors are involuntary, repetitive muscle movements that alternate between contraction and relaxation, usually involving either rapid or slow movements (twitching) of one or more body parts. The tremors can occur in any part of the body.

Symptoms and Types

Involuntary tremors may be seen in almost any part of the body in an affected cat. The tremors may be localized, in one area, or generalized throughout the body. Localized cases usually affect the head or hind limbs.

Causes
    • Idiopathic (unknown)
    • Genetic
    • Trauma or injury
    • Congenital - present at birth
    • As a side-effect of certain drugs
    • Severe weakness or pain
    • In concurrence with kidney failure
    • Lower than normal levels of glucose in the blood (hypoglycemia)
    • Toxicity - chemical or plant based
    • Inflammation
    • Nervous system disease

Diagnosis

Your veterinarian will perform a complete physical exam on your cat after taking a complete medical history, including a background history of the symptoms and the time of onset, and possible incidents that might have led to this condition. Routine laboratory examinations include a complete blood count, biochemistry profile, urinalysis and electrolyte panel.

If brain disease is the primary cause of the tremors, the laboratory tests are usually found to be normal. In metabolic diseases, the biochemistry profile may indicate lower than normal levels of glucose (hypoglycemia), lower than normal levels of calcium (hypocalcemia), and abnormal kidney functions.

Other diagnostic tests will include X-rays, computed tomography (CT-Scan), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), especially in cases where the pelvic limbs are affected. These tests may reveal abnormalities in the posterior portion of the spinal cord and vertebrae. In some animals, cerebrospinal fluid, or CSF, is also taken for further testing. The results will vary depending on the primary disease underlying the external symptoms.

Treatment

As tremors are merely a symptom of an underlying and often unseen problem, the major goal of therapy will involve treating the underlying disease or disorder. The laboratory tests will help your veterinarian to establish a diagnosis for proper treatment. There are a number of causes that can lead to tremors in affected animals. Some conditions are treatable, while some others have no treatment available.

If a drug is responsible for this condition, your veterinarian will recommend an alternative drug to prevent tremors. If intoxication is suspected, removal of the toxin from the environment will be necessary to prevent further exposure to the same toxin. The toxin may be related to a chemical substance that your cat has easy access to, a poison, or a toxic plant that has been chewed and ingested. In some cases, an antidote may be available for the poison, if that is the finding.

If the tremors are related to a disease or disorder of the nervous system, surgery may be indicated to treat the primary nervous system disease. To control the symptoms of tremors, your veterinarian may recommend drugs to control the muscles' movements.

Living and Management

Over excitement and strenuous exercise should be avoided, as these activities may exacerbate your cat's symptoms. Exercise should not be entirely avoided, but should be gentle and low impact. The overall prognosis of this disease largely depends on the successful treatment of the underlying disease. However, most causes of tremors in cats are treatable. Good patient monitoring is required during the treatment phase. Consult your veterinarian if symptoms worsen despite the prescribed therapy.

Is she on any medications?
    Has she eaten any plants?

17. piri

piri Member

Not for this.
    Thank you

18. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Does she do it only when you touch her legs?
    Cats can tremble when you touch somewhere that hurts....

Or is it happening all the time?

I read in a past posting that the vet said maybe to arthritis.

My girl had reallly severe arthritis....
    she had to take Adequan ( need prescription) shots that helped with the pain
    and she also took pain medication ( Bupenorphine - some cats have tramadol)
    do not let the vet give you Metacam .

19. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Would you share with us what your vet said about her shaking?

Would you also share any blood tests results?
    Has her calcium level been checked?

piri likes this.
  20. jayla-n-Drevon

I just want to be clear--this is what worked for us and I am not suggesting for you to do this before speaking with your vet.
    First Tasha was not diabetic-
    Because I was able to predict her seizures I was able to give her a very small dose (1-2mg) of valium in pill form and it seemed to either stop it or lessen it.
    I worked in conjunction with my vet as to the dosage.
    As soon as I saw her start to act "different" (tremor-hiding) I would give her the valium and make sure she was in a safe place.
    Please discus this with you vet.

piri likes this.
  21. piri

piri Member

i have to take a complete blood exam as soon as i can.
    my vet said is normal in cats and it is hypernervesensitivity.
    thank you.
    sorry for your girl.
    you are a good mum too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.