? 194 GB

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Clark, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark Member

Charlie is 194 pre shot. But not hungry. Seems little tired. She won't eat yet. I want to hold off giving her it till she eats. And lower to 1 mg.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here's what to do: stall without feeding for 20 minutes and retest. Post the result here. The hope is that she'll rise above 200 so we can consider giving a lower dose of insulin. I'll likely suggest something less than 1 unit if she's above 200 AND she's willing to eat.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

That's a borderline reading for No Shot. You can try stalling for 20 minutes without feeding, re-test and see where she is. If BG goes above 11.1mmol/L (200 mg/dL) and she decides to eat, you may want to reduce further for tonight to 0.25U, if you don't want to skip again, AND get another test at +2 (2 hours after shot is given) and if you are still awake, a +4. That is a quarter of 1.0 Unit.

Cross posted with Kris :)

If her numbers drop on your next test, I'd have to say NO SHOT again tonight.

4. Kris & Teasel

Yong stole my thunder!

5. Yong & Maury GA

I didn't mean to :smuggrin::bighug:

6. Kris & Teasel

Just kidding! I was going to wait to see the next BG result before suggesting a dose. The not wanting to eat is a concern when giving Caninsulin.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Indeed.

8. Clark

Clark Member

It's

9. Kris & Teasel

Is she willing to eat? She has to have food in her for 30 minutes before you inject Caninsulin. She's right on the edge of the "no shot" boundary. I like Yong's idea of eyeballing 0.25 u so she gets some insulin tonight. Test again at +2.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

If she won't eat, no insulin. If the lack of appetite continues tomorrow she needs vet attention. All cats are at risk of serious complications if they don't eat but it's even worse for a diabetic cat. Having the vet check sooner than later can help you avoid a very expensive crisis.

11. Clark

Clark Member

I gave her a bit she licked the top of it. I'll wait till 7 if she has not eating I'll give her .25. iwent through her ear last prick. Feel so bad.

12. Kris & Teasel

Don't worry about going through her ear. It'll heal quickly and it's something we've all done. Sounds like she's not too interested in her food. Is there anything else you can tempt her with like tuna, sardines, salmon, plain cooked chicken, etc.? Even a couple of tablespoons should be enough to make it safe to give 0.25 u.

13. Clark

Clark Member

Im trying even her old food. I switched pretty fast. She has a everything in front of her. Il be up all night. Last night she woke up at 3 and ate a good portion.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  14. Clark

Clark Member

Ketones?

15. Kris & Teasel

Do you have urine ketone test strips? If you do, you can try doing a test by:
    • putting a shallow, long-handled spoon under her backside while she's peeing
    • covering her favourite area of the box with a double layer of plastic food wrap to catch some pee in the indentations
    • putting the strip right the urine stream.
    Most brands of strips say to let the colour develop 15 seconds. It's best viewed in a bright light to judge the colour properly.

16. Clark

Clark Member

How long does it take for the
    She just ate. 1/4 can of fancy feast. Maybe .5 insulin. In half hour

17. Kris & Teasel

Sorry. I was away from my computer after 10PM my time (EST). Your SS is showing a dose of 1 u last night. Is this what you finally decided on? How long past her usual dose time was that given? I'm asking because if the delay was quite long, there might still be some residue of that dose in her system this AM.

If you don't mind, could you please check your message before hitting "post" because there have been fragments in some of them that I couldn't understand - for example in this one above: "How long does it take for the" You also don't need to copy/paste my posts into your own. It might be easier to see/understand what you're posting if you don't.

18. Clark

Clark Member

I did not know I was copy and pasting. Just tired idk. It's been hard. When I missed the does when her BG was 154. I got nervous and have it to her early yesterday. 5:30. Im understanding now and not so nervous. Her eating patterns were grazing for her whole life. Hungry she eats. Small portions. Im going to cut her off two hours before pre shot, make sure she doesn't eat to much so she can eat before I shot. I understand bouncing. The 2 units seemed to take her low. Her +6 this morning was 260. Yet yesterday. 80. Test at 8 . Feed. 830 shot. Stay at 1 unit. She is eating. Just might take a bit to get her on schedule. I was quite worried when she didn't want to eat.

19. Kris & Teasel

I truly understand how hard this is, especially at the start. We can help you to help Charlie. If my questions, etc. seems too numerous or bossy in tone, it's because I'm trying to get important information ASAP so I can get back to you with the next steps.

Here are some things to think about:
    • It would help me to know what time zone you're in so I know how many hours difference there are between us. I'm in EST (Ottawa).
    • Are you using your phone or a computer? I'm asking because I know it's harder to respond at length on a phone screen. Sometimes I might want more detail about something.
    • Keeping your SS up to date all day after every test and shot is key because it's the first thing I'll look at.
    • I'm usually off my computer by 11 PM EST and back on around 8 AM EST. I'm in and out through the day so I might not see your posts. There are many other helpful people who will respond although it can take some time.
    Please post here once you've done the AM pre shot test. It's OK for Charlie to graze all day except for the two hours prior to her pre shot BG test.

20. Clark

Clark Member

Vancouver. And use phone.

21. Kris & Teasel

OK. So you're 3 hours earlier than I am. The phone will be fine.

22. Clark

Clark Member

12.6!. She ate last night. Came down since +6 and eating!

JanetNJ likes this.
  23. Clark

Clark Member

Btw how do u highlight the text on forum to get more responses.

24. Kris & Teasel

This is not a bad pre shot number at all! And it's after a PM dose of 1 unit last night, correct? I'm very glad she's eating - so important. Please test around +6, post that result here and update your SS.

To get more attention on your thread, use the blue question mark icon you've used already. If it's a true emergency, use the red 911 icon from the same menu as the question mark. Be specific in your thread title. For example, use something like "Need dosing help now."

25. Yong & Maury GA

This is a little conflicting with your SS. The 260 is in +6 for last night?? This morning you tested at 08:00, fed, then gave shot at 08:30. Wasn't last nights test, feed, shoot sequence at like 17:30? You want to stick to the 12 hour apart schedule as best you can. You have up to an hour (early or later) flexibility with shot time on Caninsulin but sticking closer to 12 hours apart is best :smuggrin:.

Also, pick which BG numbers are more comfortable for you and we can work with them :). So like your last post said 12.6 which is mmol/L but other posts use U.S. (like 260 mg/dL). Just use one measurement so the U.S. members don't freak out when they see a 12.6 slipped in with a 260 ;)

26. Clark

Clark Member

She didn't eat. Her BG was 194. She wasn't hungry. I did not want to give her a shot. Then at 8:22 she ate. And her BG was 279. I decided to lower dose to 1 and give her shot. I could not get anyone I made the call. I checked her at +6 and she was 260. 3 in morning. Pre shot at 8 was 224 have 1 unit. And yes I fixed the #s. Appreciate the feedback. This first week has been hard. Doc started her to high. And I know about the twelve hours. Im not going to give her a shot at 194 with no food as you suggested last night. . Im adjusting her two a new schedule. Well more like she is adjusting me.

27. Kris & Teasel

Did you get a +6 this afternoon? BTW - I can't see your SS right now.

28. Clark

Clark Member

+6 121. Was adding # in.

29. Kris & Teasel

OK. I can see your SS now. That blue number at +6 is textbook perfect! The goal is to have midcycle numbers that are about 50% of the pre shot value. I like this dose of 1 unit for now. The task ahead is to gather BG data at this dose for the next little while, providing she eats for you and doesn't throw you a curve ball low number.

Post your evening pre shot number when you have it. If you want more practice, try for a +8 or +9 BG test. There's no need to do a ton of testing every day. Random tests at different times over several days build up a good picture. You can let her graze around those. The pre shot tests with no food for 2 hours before are essential though.

30. Clark

Clark Member

Yah. She is picky. But she does eventually get mad at me and eat. It has to be moist and fresh out of can. I try not to throw to much away.
    Today was best poke yet. Didn't pierce ear. Blood right away. I line my thumb up right where to prick. I have anxiety disorder. So after I am shaking. I think she does better than me.

31. Kris & Teasel

Even with anxiety issues it'll get better. Kudos to you for doing it. :) Your evening pre shot test will be quite late for me if you tested/shot around 8/8:30 this AM your time. That's another reason why a +9 or so would be useful. If her PM pre shot is at/above 200, you should give 1 u again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  32. Clark

Clark Member

I will always air on side of caution. The night I did not give a shot. She was still only 274. If she is really high400 + and has not eaten is it ok to give shot? Or reduce dosage. To.5 day. She yet to be over the 274.

33. Kris & Teasel

I wouldn't give Caninsulin if she won't eat. Later on after you have A LOT of data on her responses it might be possible. I say that because of Caninsulin's ability to take them down hard and fast. We often say here, "Better too high for a day than too low for a moment."

So for tonight: if she's 200 or over AND she's willing to eat, give 1 unit. If she won't eat, DON'T give any insulin, regardless of the pre shot number. The overriding concern is always safety.

34. Clark

Clark Member

Ok. She likes the moisture of a fresh opened can. Im going to open one up morning and night. And during the day she can graze. I notice she isn't bugging me as much for food. I think m inturputing that as something is wrong. I think she is just more satisfied now.

35. Kris & Teasel

It's not necessarily a bad thing. The insulin has brought her BG down to fairly good levels for this early in the game so she might have less diabetes starvation going on. What about peeing and water drinking?

What does she graze on through the day?

36. Clark

Clark Member

She went from peeing 4-6 times a day and drinking piles of water. She was eating more to.

Now ,1-2 pees a day. I let her have fancy feast during the day. Il open fresh can every morning and night.

37. Kris & Teasel

Those are signs of her BG being under better control and they fit in with her being less ravenous. Fancy Feast through the day is fine - pate version?

38. Clark

Clark Member

Yes all pate. I'd still like to find other high protein treats.

39. Kris & Teasel

If you mean treats for shots and ear pokes, I can recommend Orijen freeze dried meat treats. They come in 4 or 5 flavours and are made up of meat only. They're in specialty pet stores. Do you have a chain called "Global Pet Foods" in Vancouver? They carry them. PetSmart carries PureBites, another freeze dried meat product.

40. Kris & Teasel

I just saw the 252 on your SS for evening preshot number. Near perfect curve today so give 1 unit again IF you can get her to eat.

41. Clark

Clark Member

Ate over half can of ff! She was happy. 2 unit. She is probably feeling little more stable. Good energy. Giving two hours before feeding works. Gets her hungry.

42. Kris & Teasel

Please clarify: you said you gave 2 u in this post but your SS shows 1 u as tonight's dose. I sure hope you gave only 1 u! I'm glad she ate well.

43. Clark

Clark Member

1 unit. Hope to sleep tonight. I feel good about how she has responded. More energy. Eating is good.

44. Kris & Teasel

Here's what I suggest for today so we can get more info on this dose: aim for two tests between AM and PM doses - anywhere between +3 and +8 would be good. Can you do that?

45. Clark

Clark Member

Pre test 192. She is eating. She is back to what she was 1 1/2 months ago. She ate well all day yesterday. She is cleaning herself better. She never stopped but seemed lathargic. I have to test again in 20 min. See where she is at.

46. Kris & Teasel

I responded on your 911 thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.