1st attempt at bg testing & success!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JaimeAnne, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaimeAnne

JaimeAnne New Member

Thanks to everyone's you tube videos (which I'm sure is mainly FDMD members!!) I tried today for the first time to check Sabu's bg at home & it was a success!! I drew from the ear & purr-ito'd him...his bg was 135 an hour after his night insulin shot. I also started him on Xobine for his neuropathy *crosses fingers*

My question--if there's a link I should be aware of can you share?

I left out his insulin yesterday morn by accident (Lantus Solostar pen) and hubby found it on the dresser when he looked for it to give Sabu his nightly shot. The vet said that it may not be effective anymore but to give it to him anyway and see what happens. So last night & today we used the same pen, and his bg was 135 when I got the chance to test him today...How can I tell if it's still effective? His bg is lower than the last time I took him to the vet (2 weeks ago) it was 150.

Problem is, I work 10 hour days, so I give him his 7am shot & leave for work, I'm not home until 7ish depending on when I am done my job so I can't test him when I am *supposed* too.

Is there a time frame routine I can get into that I can get an idea of how he's doing even if I can't check him during the day?

Sorry for rambling, this is all new to me.

Thanks!!

2. Terri&Kit

Terri&Kit Member

Congrats and welcome to the vampire club!

I can't help much on the Lantus issue, but I would try reading some of the sticky's on the Lantis group. There is info on storage and how to tell if it's not effective. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

I am in the same boat, I work 10 hours a day. I am lucky that I live close and I can come and check him at lunch, but that's still only 1 check in between. But I do have weekends off occasionally, so I will be able to do a curve on a weekend. Another option, that you may not like...you could wake up at night and check him. Set an alarm and check him a few times throughout the night. You might be a zombie the next day, but you would get your readings. His night readings should be similar to his day readings. Don't shoot the messenger :)

3. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I thought the pens were ok if unrefrigerated? I have never had one, since Cedric got a bottle when he was diagnosed and after a month is OTJ (I gave the insulin to a friend with a FD cat). I'd post in the insulin forum.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Humans that use Lantus don't refrigerate it because they use it up so quickly, we do to extend its life since we don't normally use it up all that quickly. As long as your house isn't over 86 degrees it survived just fine and is safe to use. Been there, done that...lol. Since you are now home testing you will know when it loses its punch as the numbers will go back up.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

5. JaimeAnne

JaimeAnne New Member

Thanks, I have a diabetic friend & he said the same thing--that it's fine. But the circumstance caused me to take the plunge into home testing & I'm glad it did!! I see now why you call it "Vampire Club" lol :razz:

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Why do we call it the "Vampire Club"? Because after you have been doing it for awhile the moment you see blood..your's, your cat's, someone else's...you have to sit on your hands to keep you from running to find your meter to test it...lol.

I can't tell you how many times I have got myself with a needle while sewing and the first thing I do is reach for the meter to test it.... :lol:

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

7. hooyerd

hooyerd New Member

That is cool the good old ear test. Stay on it, get a routine, and it will become a walk in the park. Silky will remind me and volunteer her paws at testing time, it is that easy, but i am in no way getting near her ears. Whatever works for you just keep on doing it. Insulin needs can shift at times and home testing can make the difference between life and death. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.