1st Curve Procedure

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Denise & Honey, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

Honey has been on Lantus for 4 days (5 really but not counting the 1st as the vet advised 1 shot per 24 hrs :evil: ).
    Her pre-test numbers are still in 300s but seem to be gradually coming down. How much she eats in the time inbetween seems to be a big factor.
    She eats a lot, actually, 15 oz yesterday!

I was thinking of doing the first curve on Monday as we're out most of the weekend and, if we all are here, she gets very stressed with the kids, testing and shots.

Curve questions:
    how often do I test?
    feeding - should I feed on a schedule and a set amount for the next few days and during the curve? At the moment, I'm just feeding on demand.

Also, a shot question. As we may be back later than her regular shot time, I've been pushing back the time a little each day to compensate. But, due to previously mentioned kids issue, I'd prefer early morning, ie. before they get up.
    What happens if I didn't do this time push back? Any major issues apart from her going an hour or 2 longer without insulin and having to move the next shot time a little?

Previous Condo

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The standard is to take a BG every two hours.

You want the cat to eat like they eat everyday. I would record what and when the cat eats to allow comparison with future curves/BGs.
    Yes, how much and what a cat eats effect the BG.

3. Denise & Honey

Thanks.

Does it matter if she eats in the time before the test?
    I've been trying to test her before she eats but that's more difficult with 2 hour testing. Should I test, feed, take away food for 2 hours and then test or just let her eat as normal even if its close to testing time?

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There's info about a Lantus curve here about mid-page: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18139

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You want the curve to represent the normal routine but little treats at testing time are OK.

6. Denise & Honey

Thanks to both.

I guess it makes sense to wait a while longer for the curve - I'm just eager to see whether the levels should be adjusted.
    But if its too early, then I think you're saying that the results will be skewed and pointless.

Maybe next Friday would be the day to aim for.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Denise,

I don't use your insulin, but I can say that ANY tests are - in my experience - helpful. :smile:

Any tests you can do prior to doing the 'curve' that can get your cat (and you!) accustomed to the testing process will be useful practice (as long as neither of you gets stressed out by doing that). Doing a test prior to giving an insulin shot is, of course, essential in order to keep your cat safe. But any other tests done between the shot and the insulin peak (lowest BG, usually 5 or 6 hours later) give really helpful info. In my experience you just can't have too much information. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.