1st Treatment of Asthma Post Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SabsMama, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabsMama

SabsMama Member

Quick recap:
    asthma diagnosis Feb '08 (via X-ray)
    FD diagnosis Feb '12
    CD diagnosis Apr '12

Sebastian's asthma is mostly seasonal. He usually has the majority of wheezing attacks in April & May. However, in April he began getting 150ml of SQ fluid every two weeks for his kidney disease. We are now currently at 150ml SQ fluid every 4 days. With the wet spring we've had, I've not noticed any problems with him.

Until yesterday.

His sugar was normal. Got his fluids yesterday. It was very humid and the air was thick, but it was also cool. However, he hid nearly all day. He'd come out to see me when I called for him, but his behavior tells me that he doesn't feel good. He had a sneezing fit last night, his indicator that he's had a wheezing fit that I didn't catch.

He's on prednisolin for his asthma. I was warned that it could trigger diabetes when he first went on it, with marvelous results. The acute dosing (pre diabetes) is 10mg twice daily x3 weeks; 10 mg one daily x3 weeks; 5 mg twice daily x3 weeks, then 5 mg x2 weeks. Last year he got worse, so he's been on 5 mg every other day since last summer.

Because of his new health issues, I am planning on titrating upwards with his acute dosing to see the minimum dose he needs to return to better breathing. Here's hoping his diabetes doesn't go crazy!

Sab turned 13 on Friday! Big milestone considering his health issues of the past 6 months. We normally celebrated with small helpings of vanilla ice cream. This year, we had sardines. He loved them!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you considered using an inhaled steroid for the asthma such as flovent? Inhaled steroids work very differently than the oral steroids and don't cause the BG's to rise.

It's not difficult to use, you do need to purchase the aerokat unit. This may be something worth considering.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ditto on the Aerokat

Check out (if you haven't already) Fritz the Brave

4. SabsMama

SabsMama Member

Sab has two vets that see him regularly in the practice. I've had this discussion with both of them at length over the years and, since he does so well on the prednisone, we've left it as is. The inhalers are much more expensive (I am on disability so I have to be very careful) and would stress him out unnecessarily. Despite the possibility of problems with his diabetes, it has been felt that keeping him on pred is the best course of action. This will be the test.

So far, his numbers are good. Normally he get low in the middle of the day. Today, he was still normal but was 102.

5. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

My cat Merlin (avitar) has asthma too. I avoid oral steroids at all costs (actually my vet didn't offer them) because two of my previous cats on pred both got diabetes from it. We use inhalers. Merlin gets flovent 2x's a day. In the US flovent is very expensive but I get my flovent (called flixotide) from 4 Corners pharmacy online and the prices are great. I buy what he needs for a whole year because it's cheaper the more you buy. His asthma is under control. Inhaled steroids are different and don't have the same side effects. The aerocat is a one-time cost of about $60.
    No prescription needed.
    http://www.4cnrs-asthma-allergy.com/flovent.html
    Merlin takes one puff of 250 mcg's in the AM and one puff of 125 mcg's in the PM. He doesn't mind it as long as he gets his treat after. He started on 125 in both the AM and PM but I noticed he was coughing a little so I upped one of the doses (with the help of my vet and this board) and now he doesn't cough.
    There is also a Feline Asthma group on Yahoo. They are very knowledgeable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.