? 2/10 Max - Better numbers, but vomiting!! HELP.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Max has vomited three times today! The first two times were only bile, the third was his whole lunch. He's eating again right now. Is that the right thing to let him do? He's mostly nibbling and licking gravy. He's had his normal food today, FF Classic Paté and a little bit of cooked turkey. Aside from the vomiting he seems his normal self, up walking around and all that. His BG numbers are looking good. Just tested him again a little bit ago. He hasn't vomited in quite awhile, and certainly not three times within a few hours.

When should I start to worry?

2. Giomax

Giomax Member

He just puked again! That's 4 times now. Think I'm going to call the vet.

Edit: Crap, it's Sunday! Nowhere is open. Can you guys give me some advice to hold him over until tomorrow??

3. Giomax

Giomax Member

5th time puking now!

4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry I don't have any experience with this
    I will tag @Gill & George

Giomax likes this.
  5. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Hopefully she will have some ideas

Giomax likes this.
  6. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

just double checking, was Max at 195 at the last test, just want to rule any BG issues

7. Giomax

Giomax Member

Yes, about an hour ago. I'll check again right now....

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  8. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Has he gotten into anything? could something be off with his food?

If he's interested in food, don't give him a full portion, just a little at a time.

Does he seem in discomfort? meatloafing?
    Has he had pancreatitis?

My boy rarely pukes so this is not something I've had to deal with.

Let me see if I can find some info on the health links for you.

9. Giomax

Giomax Member

There's nothing for him to get into. He's not ever had pancreatitis (blood work on that has always been good; he just had a profile done a month or so ago). Should I get him tested for it again? I'll do a ketone check today as soon as I'm able to. His vomiting has been pretty rare lately and he's never vomited 5 times in one day before!

10. Gill & George

It does seem quite unlike him.

Could he have eaten a foreign object? Has he been pooping normally? An obstruction could cause repeated vomiting.
    I think you would be seeing other symptoms, lethargy pain, nausea, inappetance.
    From what you've said he seems willing to eat, but just pukes it up after. So that would suggest he is not feeling nauseated.

Have you tested to see if he's dehydrated? It worries me that he may get dehydrated with the repeated vomiting.
    If he's still willing to eat perhaps try some plain boiled chicken, just a small amount and see if he could keep that down.

11. Gill & George

I think if this continues, he may need to see a vet. I've put out a message to some other members with more experience dealing with this sort of thing. See if they can suggest some first aid to tide you over till you can get to a vet.

Giomax likes this.
  12. Giomax

Giomax Member

Max won't eat anything that isn't yummy food, so I never worry about him eating foreign objects. His brother, on the other hand....

He drank a bit earlier. I do worry about dehydration as well. He's been drinking and peeing like his normal self up until now. He loves drinking water. I've only seen him drink a bit today though, but that could be because his BG is down. When it's high he drinks like crazy. Lower BG means less drinking. He's not vomited in about an hour. I'm afraid to give him more food because I don't want him puking it up again. There's some pate sitting out on a plate that he isn't very interested in eating right now. He's chilling on the bed with me atm. Should I try getting him to eat a bit anyway?

13. Giomax

Giomax Member

Thank you!!

14. Gill & George

Has he been constipated?

Have you got something plain he could have? boiled chicken perhaps? Just a small amount to see if he will keep it down.

15. Giomax

Giomax Member

Cooked turkey is part of his normal diet but he doesn't like it as much as the paté. He's starting to ignore the turkey more and more. But I can try.

Don't know about constipation? The litter box seemed plenty full this morning but I have two cats and it's impossible to tell who pooped what.

Gill & George likes this.
  16. Gill & George

Yeah I have the same problem.
    Did the poop look normal? Harder than usual or softer?

17. Giomax

Giomax Member

There's definitely no diarrhea. It looked normal to me? I clean the box once a day so it's always pretty solid by the time I get to it. I can check next time he goes though if I can catch him.

Tons of pee like usual so I know he was drinking water all day yesterday.

18. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

How's his hydration? You can check how here. Max might be drinking water but still very dehydrated especially after vomiting so many times.

Gill is doing a good job telling you what to do for the time being! I'll explain what you might encounter if you take Max to the vet.

Pancreatitis levels change and a specific test is done to check it (spec FPLI). A blood test that's clear a month ago won't tell you anything about what's going on with Max today.

At the vet, usual treatment for pancreatitis is: fluids (either IVF or subq fluids), anti-nausea meds (cerenia or ondansetron) and pain meds (buprenorphine). If you go to the vet, make sure you get all three types of treatment. If you're really concerned, the vet will do a blood test to confirm pancreatitis (spec FPLI).

Constipation can also be treated by fluids and usually some kind of enema. I think the vet can usually feel for poops.

For now, definitely try to get a ketone test, offer Max food to see if he'll eat/is interested, and watch for signs of pain or nausea.

19. Crista & Ming

If Max isn't eating, vet might give an appetite stimulant like cypro or martazapine. I've never used either but I've heard cypro is the better option. But for some reasons, my vets are more concerned about battling the nausea first instead of making sure they eat... I don't get it since cats should NEVER go more than a day without eating. Although I do remember some members pointing out that a cat won't eat unless it's not nauseated.

20. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

21. Giomax

Giomax Member

Max is drinking water now as I type this. Yay! He wouldn't eat any of the turkey I offered (but I'm not really surprised at that). He did eat about 5 or 6 "Temptations" treats though. That was on the hour. I'll be watching to see if he keeps them down.

22. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

:bighug: Fingers and paws crossed

Giomax likes this.
  23. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Giomax likes this.
  24. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

It is always upsetting when they vomit and there is no hair ball produced from it. Whenever Bubba vomits, if I see a hair ball I am so relieved that was the cause.

Have you changed anything with his food like added a new flavor to his repertoire? Bubba can not eat beef, he will vomit within 20 minutes of eating it. Just throwing that out there.

I second the opinion to give very small amounts of food more frequently to help. Is his vomits close to after he has eaten something like a scarf and barf?

I think a vet visit is in order tomorrow. How is he acting? He is meatloafing as if in pain? Isolating himself and/or sleeping in places he usually doesn't sleep in?

25. Giomax

Giomax Member

It's not a "scarf and barf" scenario. It was only bile the first two times so I thought he might be hungry (maybe he didn't like the turkey I left out?) so I gave him some paté and he ate it like he normally does. Didn't seem ravenous or anything. Within the hour it was vomited out.

UPDATE AS I'M TYPING: he just vomited up the treats I gave him 30 minutes ago. :(

26. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

27. Gill & George

I'm so sorry his puked again.
    Can you change the title on your thread.
    Perhaps:
    Vomited 6 times/ Help please just so anyone looking can see it's an acute problem

Have a read of this, it suggests with holding food for 12hrs, but I don't think that's necessarily a good idea in a diabetic cat.
    https://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/common-emergencies/e_ct_vomiting

28. Bobbie And Bubba

A vetty appointment is in order. I would ask for a thyroid screening as he is at the average age of hypothyroidism in cats and vomiting is a symptom.

Sending hugs :bighug:

Crista & Ming and Gill & George like this.
  29. Bobbie And Bubba

Gill & George and Giomax like this.
  30. Giomax

Giomax Member

He seems normal otherwise. Alert, up and about, sitting on the bed and the couch. He just drank a bit more water. Hasn't pottied yet since I've been watching him. He's just so pukey today! Won't keep anything down.

31. Giomax

Giomax Member

I actually have some plain chicken baby food on hand right now. Problem is, he's vomiting out everything I'm giving him. I don't even want to offer him anything else because I'm certain he'll just throw it back up.

32. Crista & Ming

Cats are notorious for hiding pain. He might be looking good until he's really bad.

Ming right now has elevated levels and pancreatitis. But he's fine. He's eating. He's playing. But he has it. It's so weird to me because this is the first time I know he has pancreatitis and isn't vomiting 12 times within the hour. It makes me wonder if Ming is constantly in pancreatitis mode until it gets REALLY bad and only when it's REALLY bad does he show symptoms of anything.

He needs to eat if he does have pancreatitis. But yes, give him time to rest and offer it again. Take away uneaten food so he doesn't associate food with nausea.

33. Bobbie And Bubba

I would give about 20 -30 minutes time since the last vomit and then offer a small amount of the baby food.

Another reason for a lot of vomiting can be kidney disease.

Crista & Ming likes this.
  34. Giomax

Giomax Member

Today is the only day vomiting has been a problem. He's never acted like this before. He had some blood work done at the beginning of the year and his kidney and pancreas levels were all normal. Thyroid levels were normal when he was tested in October. I realize things can change in a matter of months though. I'm going to call up the vet first thing in the morning and have them test him for all that stuff again. Why oh why does this stuff always happen on a weekend?!

35. Giomax

Giomax Member

I really need to go to the grocery store, guys. Been putting it off all day since he started puking. I'm convinced he'll die the moment I leave the house, haha. But I have to make a quick run. I'll be gone 30-40 minutes at least. Do you think he'll be safe?!

36. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Do you have any cerenia or ondansetron? I’d wait an hour since he lasted vomitedand offer just a teaspoon of baby food and see if it stays down. Max would always be inappetent with pancreatitis but ECID. Pancreatitis needs to be active for it to show up when tested.

37. Crista & Ming

It's unfortunate vets close on the weekends. I wonder if there are any vets open on the weekends that you don't normally see? Might be worth checking it out. I'd also get familiar with the emergency clinics in your area. Never a bad idea to be prepared.

I'd do a BG before you go and see how he's doing. But I think he should be fine BG-wise. If his breathing is normal, then that's good. I'd also lay out something in the litterbox so you're able to catch any pee. Or put him in a room with his own litterbox since you have multiple cats. Ketones present is usually an emergency.

38. Giomax

Giomax Member

There is a 24/7 emergency vet I can go to. I've been there before when I thought he was blocked (turns out, he wasn't at all). It's much pricier than my normal vet though, or pretty much any normal vet clinic in the area. I'm tight on money as it is so I'm trying to avoid going there unless I absolutely need to. If Max can just hang out here at home until tomorrow that'd be great. I just did a BG check and he's still in the low 200s. I will try feeding the baby food when I get back. New problem coming up: What do I do at PM shot time? It's in about two hours.

39. Giomax

Giomax Member

Ok, he just vomited again. I haven't given him any food in about an hour and a half. He's just vomiting to vomit now. I think I will see that ER vet after all. What do you guys think?

40. Crista & Ming

I think Max will be fine until tomorrow unless you see ketones present or laboured breathing.

As for dosing... hopefully someone more experience can chime in. I assume a reduced dose might be recommended o keep Max safe if he isn't keeping food down.

41. Crista & Ming

Oops. I posted at the same time.

It's your decision ultimately. I'm all for listening to your gut.

Giomax likes this.
  42. Giomax

Giomax Member

I've not been able to check for ketones as he hasn't peed since I've been watching him,

43. Crista & Ming

If anything, you can hold off on testing and just get treatment so you don't whack up a large bill.

44. Giomax

Giomax Member

What's the purpose of that though? Shouldn't I know what's going on ASAP so we can fix it? Or do you mean treat at the ER vet and test at my regular vet?

45. Crista & Ming

Yes, you can go the route of treating his symptoms first (so like my first post: getting meds like cerenia, ondasetron, FLUIDS FLUIDS FLUIDS, and pain meds). His blood tests can wait at the regular vet since test results will take time anyway. The specFPLI takes a couple of days to come back from Idexx with results.

No need to appetite stimulant since he is eating.

The only test you might consider doing is a urinalysis just to check for ketones and possible kidney disease if Max doesn't pee for you by the time you go to the ER.

46. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Did you already go to the store? If not, pick up some pepcid (or a generic version). You want the regular AC, not the time released one. It should be 10 mg. The recommended dose is .25 mg to .5 mg per pound. The fact that he threw up bile the first two times makes it sound like he has a lot of acid in his stomach.

I think Crista meant wait to get any test run by a vet until you see your regular one. Emergency vets are always more expensive.

Did Max eat normally yesterday?

ETA: If he doesn't hold it down, I would definitely go to the ER.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  47. Giomax

Giomax Member

I'm just so torn on taking him! He seems OK otherwise...he's just puking out everything he eats. He's cuddling with me on the bed right now. Still haven't gone to the grocery store. Will ketone test sometime tonight as soon as I catch him in the box. I think I'm going to try feeding baby food and see how that works out?? I know he's gonna puke it right back up. Ugh. Can I wait until tomorrow to see vet?? I don't think he'll die overnight. Or should I go get him treatment ASAP at the emergency hospital? I don't like these kind of decisions!

48. Giomax

Giomax Member

Pretty sure all was normal with him yesterday. Ate food and definitely no puking.

49. Crista & Ming

If you don't want Max to be hospitalized, get sub q fluids to bring home to do yourself. It will be cheaper to hospitalize him at your regular vet IF hospitalization is necessary.

I say all of this because it doesn't sound like Max is in real danger. I would definitely hospitalize if he shows signs of distress (laboured breathing, laying flat, loaf position, pale gums, dehydration).

Giomax likes this.
  50. Giomax

Giomax Member

No labored breathing. He's just chilling out on the bed with me right now. Gums don't seem pale. CRT doesn't seem bad. It's hard to tell for sure since he's fighting me on it, haha. I'm going to make a quick grocery store run now, feed baby food when I get back, and go from there.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  51. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Look at his gums, if he'll let you. Are they pink and moist? If they are pale and sticky, then he is dehydrated and will need fluids.

Do you think your vet will take you right away tomorrow? If he's still not able to keep food down, he definitely needs to be seen tomorrow. Liver damage can happen very quickly in cats that don't get enough calories.

As for tonight's dose, I'm torn. If he has no history of DKA, I'd be tempted to skip because he hasn't had food in his tummy all day.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  52. Bobbie And Bubba

Get the Pepcid that Tricia posted about in #46

Crista & Ming and Giomax like this.
  53. Giomax

Giomax Member

No history of DKA....unless this is it! :s

54. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Doubtful, but I'd test anyway if you can. He would probably be acting like he didn't feel well if he was in DKA, but his ketones could still be going up. If you don't have ketone test strips, grab some when you're at the store.

55. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Another possibility although rare is maybe the food is bad. Do you have a totally different brand he has never had before to try?

56. Giomax

Giomax Member

I have some ketone strips, just gotta catch him in the box! I'm about to try some of that chicken baby food right now....wish us luck!!

What do I do about shot, guys??

57. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I've been chatting with a couple other veterans, and the consensus seems to be that, if the vomiting continues, Max needs to go to the ER for a shot of Cerenia.

As I mentioned above, with no food all day, I would skip the shot.

ETA: When you have a chance, be sure to put a note in the comments section of your SS about the vomiting. It will also help explain why you are skipping (if you do).

Giomax and Crista & Ming like this.
  58. Giomax

Giomax Member

Feeding him on the hour to make vomiting time easier to track. Roads are very snowy/icy so really really hoping to avoid the ER vet. I have Beech Nut chicken in chicken broth--ingredients: chicken, chicken broth.

Edit: Fed him just now, 6:00 EST. I mixed the baby food with some warm water. He was very interested in eating. He wanted to eat the whole lot I had prepared for him but I only gave him about a tablespoon or so.

FINGERS AND PAWS CROSSED HE KEEPS IT DOWN!! Also: skipping shot. I can't trust he'll keep this food down.

59. Giomax

Giomax Member

Sigh...24 minutes later and he puked it all back out...

He's hungry though. He's trying to eat. He just can't keep it down.

60. Giomax

Giomax Member

Is there an OTC form of Cerenia I can give? Or something like it to help vomiting in cats?

61. tiffmaxee

Not really. Ondansetron is a human RX drug but you would need an RX.

62. Giomax

Giomax Member

At the ER vet now.

63. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I don’t know if you’ve seen my Primer on Pancreatitis but it might help you especially if you go to the ER.

I, personally, don’t mess around with vomiting like that. Many years ago, one of my civvies vomited bile twice and he wasn’t a puker. I took him right to the ER and he had pancreatitis. The ER vet said since I got him in right away and they started supportive treatment, his recovery was very quick. Vomiting cats can become quickly dehydrated and potentially get to the point where they can’t even keep fluid down.

If you do take him in and get subq fluids for him, this post on giving subq fluids at home will help you if you’ve never done it.

ETA: we cross posted and I see you are at the ER. I’m really glad. Paws crossed and many vines.

64. Crista & Ming

Good luck! They may push for tests but remember, do what you are comfortable with and what you can afford. There is no judgement here. I think #1 priority right now is cerenia. Also ask for pill form of cerenia that you can give for the days following that Max will be at home.

Edit: Fluids is also tied as the #1 priority.

65. Giomax

Giomax Member

Wish us luck! Anyone wanna stay around for company?

20190210_194538.jpg

66. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

You got it!
    Like I said earlier, I don't know much about Max's situation but I am certainly sending hugs, love and positive vibes from across the ether
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Gill & George and Giomax like this.
  67. Crista & Ming

I’ll be here if you need me :)

Giomax and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  68. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear Max is having tummy troubles today :(

I can sympathize...not for Luci necessarily...but for me...sometimes I just can't keep anything down - it's usually because I have the flu - I have a 'delicate' stomach... I found for me personally not to eat anything was the easiest thing to do...just give my tummy a rest. The only thing I'd have would be a little water...but otherwise nothing else would stay down...I'm not sure if cats can get the flu - but perhaps it's just a passing GI thing. I hope the vet is able to give him something to help with the nausea/vomiting. So difficult when it's someone who can't tell you how they feel at all. Hang in there ... such a tough way to spend Sunday evening :(

Giomax likes this.
  69. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Ok, I know this random but I love Max's face :bighug:

majandra and Giomax like this.
  70. Giomax

Giomax Member

Thanks! Me too. ^.^

71. tiffmaxee

I’m glad you went to the ER. If it’s pancreatitis don’t leave without enough cerenia to give at home and get a shot of it there. That way you won’t need to give any for 24 hours. I have some on hand all the time. :bighug:

72. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, I just got on and was reading through and was about to suggest bringing to the ER, am so glad you brought him...acute, frequent vomiting is also a symptom of ingesting a foreign object, I definitely would request xrays just to rule that out. Hopefully that's not the case, thinking of you with love, Nikki

73. Giomax

Giomax Member

I HIGHLY doubt he ingested a FB. He's just not that kind of cat. They're going to do blood work first (chem profile and a pancreatitis test) and if those don't show anything, then we're going to do xrays.

74. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Since he seems otherwise fine, I can't help but wonder if this is the case. I hope they do suggest x-rays, although I know you don't want to/can't really spend extra money. I just find it odd that he is eager to eat and seems to feel okay, but can't keep anything down.

Please keep us posted as you can. More vines from here. :bighug:

75. tiffmaxee

Good plan I think.

Giomax likes this.
  76. Crista & Ming

Chem test should tell you if there is an infection. Are you doing the spec or snap pancreatitis test? Spec will give you a value. The snap will give you a positive or negative. I do wonder if the snap gives you faster results? I can’t remember.

Did they start treatment?

77. Crista & Ming

If it’s FB, the treatment is still fluids and cerenia, I believe. Exploratory surgery is the ultimate treatment but sometimes xrays don’t work and an ultrasound is needed to confirm if there is a FB

Giomax likes this.
  78. tiffmaxee

The SNAP gives immediate results which is what is needed at this point. Only negative is if in the gray zone it won’t show as positive. I tend to agree with Tricia about pancreatitis as Max was always inappetent. I think it’s something else but don’t know what. The vet should have answers.

79. Giomax

Giomax Member

They just took him back. I'm not sure what kind of test it is. They're doing two blood tests and the p-titis test. They only offered one kind of p-titis test so maybe they only have the one? After test results we will go from there. I will probably be here awhile!

80. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Still hanging with you and Max :bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  81. Giomax

Giomax Member

They're OUT of pancreatitis tests--are you kidding me?! It must be the snap because they said they don't currently have any in stock. Ugh!!

82. tiffmaxee

They would only have the Snap. The other one has to be sent out and you would not get results fior at least a day.

83. tiffmaxee

OMG! How could an ER not have that. I’m so sorry you are experiencing this. What are they suggesting to do? Is there any chance he could have an obstruction?

84. Giomax

Giomax Member

They did the other blood tests, waiting on the results for those. Depending on results, xrays may follow. They said they normally have the snaps in Stock, they just happen to be out right now! Ugh.

85. Crista & Ming

Oh well. All for the best since you can decide if you want the more accurate test tomorrow or not.

How’s Max?

86. Giomax

Giomax Member

Not happy! Lol, we're still at the hospital. Blood work is still running.

87. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I hope they find the cause quick, and it's easily treated
    :bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  88. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

89. Giomax

Giomax Member

Currently almost 10pm for us. We wanna go home!! FB_IMG_1549853058308.jpg

90. majandra

He is a beauty!

Giomax and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  91. Giomax

Giomax Member

No ketones! But blood work came back showing signs of pancreatitis. I'm not sure what triggered it and why it set off so violently today out of nowhere, but we're doing Cerenia and some pain meds to get him back up and eating again.

majandra likes this.
  92. Crista & Ming

Fluids!!!!!!!!!

Giomax likes this.
  93. majandra

Hope he starts feeling better, pronto!

Giomax likes this.
  94. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Definitely ask about fluids. There and at home. I assume they are giving him a Cerenia shot? What pain med? Hopefully it's Bupe and they give you some to take home, too. Also an appetite stimulant is a good idea. I prefer Cypro but most vets give Mirtazapine.

It's a good idea to follow up with your own vet tomorrow about the p-titis tests, too.

95. Giomax

Giomax Member

They are giving him some fluids here. I'm not sure if they'll give me any to take home but Max is normally a very active drinker so with the Cerenia on board I'm pretty confident he'll stay hydrated at home.

96. Crista & Ming

Even if they drink water, sometimes it's not enough so def ask for a bag of fluids.

Although, I know pharmacies here in Canada allow you to buy bags of saline. Not sure if it's the same in the states.

Giomax likes this.
  97. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Praying for Max and hoping he's all better very soon!!! :bighug::bighug:

Giomax likes this.
  98. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yes, you can buy bags of fluids in pharmacies here, but I'm not sure if you need a prescription - I've always gotten them from the vet. I know you need a script to get the needles.

Giomax likes this.
  99. tiffmaxee

Get copies of the labs. I’m wondering what makes them think pancreatitis from the labs. Ask but get labs.

100. tiffmaxee

Definitely need an RX to buy fluids