2/11 Buzzy AMPS 291; 1U; PMPS 399; 1U; Finally got pee! lol

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by toomanycats, Feb 11, 2020.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Sonia & Leo and LilTurkey like this.
  2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Bring that yellow to a nice blue Buzzy
    Have a great day

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hope you have a good day and that Buzzy surfs safely while you're out. Even resting in the lemon nest isn't the worst thing in the world. He'll get there :)

4. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I'll take yellow over where we were all day yesterday!
    I will say, his appetite has taken a hit. I"m not sure how to handle that... I can't just leave food out while I"m at the office or his sister will eat it all (she's a wet food fiend).
    Not sure if he just doesn't like the food & I should try something else... or if I should just not worry about it for now and trust his appetite.
    Advice welcome. They're eating Fancy Feast tender chicken & liver pate right now. They each get 2.5 cans a day spread over 3 feedings, but he only ate about 2/3 a can this morning and maybe 0.5-1oz last night (at +2; he ate the full 3 oz at shot time last night).

I've updated my SS to track food now.
    Still haven't managed to nab urine for ketone tests. Darn boy peed right next to my little seran wrap corner spot. :rolleyes:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You CAN do this sweetie. Read your post over in Think Tank, and you are absolutely right about this being overwhelming and so, so hard.

It does become easier. Test, feed, shoot will become part of your daily routine and take less and less of your time.

I simply wanted to give you some moral support and encouragement during this diabetes journey with your cat Buzzy. Some virtual hugs for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

How is your toddler and the pregnancy going? Will someone else in the family learn to help you manage Buzzy's testing and insulin shots?

Sonia & Leo and toomanycats like this.
  6. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Thank you Deb - I'll just be over here hormonally tearing up bc you're so sweet lol.

My 3.5-year-old is...very energetic lol. I feel bad, because I have lowered patience right now since I'm stressed about this. I get kinda snappy when she's asking me for a snack during test/shot time. The pregnancy is going well! We're in 2nd trimester, so this is kinda the honeymoon phase before I'm too big to be comfortable lol. My back is kinda killing me, but that's about it...and this flu is finally leaving, thank god.

My husband is capable of giving shots (he used to help give them to our diabetic foster), but not of testing (we didn't home test our foster) - which is going to be a whole discussion when it comes time for me to give birth in June (whether to have him give the shots without testing for the 2 days I'm in the hospital or what all to do). I'm trying to put that out of my mind for now with June being so far away and just deal with the day/stage we're at. He absolutely wants to help, but he is just not very nimble... he's never been able to learn to pill the cats or anything like that either.

So, yeah, really, it does all come down to me, unfortunately.

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Chiropractor for the back. My chiropractor helps a lot of pregnant women, as well as us old folks with arthritis and neck issues.

"Treasure every day."
    One day at a time, one test at a time, one meal at a time. Maybe give your toddler something to snack on before the BG test routine? Kid first, then cat, then hubbie, then other things. Or however you need to re-prioritize your life. Find what works for YOU.

Hey, you have plenty of time, 4 months to teach hubbie to home test. ;)

LilTurkey and Sue and Luci like this.
  8. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

lol I gave her her entire dinner before getting ready to test him last night, and she literally inhaled the entire thing before I could finish testing/dosing!
    It's ok - she's a good kid & she understood when I said I needed her to wait and be patient because I had to do Buzzy's test & shot. She loves her kitties & is very curious about all we're doing.

I genuinely don't think my husband is capable of learning to test. I'm more inclined to either board Buzz at the vet for a couple of days (assuming they can take him short notice) or have a vet tech sitter come to our house. All stuff we'll consider when we get there :) We'll also have to adjust his times and all that at that point. But, that's a different day lol.

9. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Its not unusual for a kitty to eat less once the insulin is able to help fulfill metabolic needs by delivering energy from food they consume to the cells of their body. However with an unregulated diabetic it could indicate that not enough energy is making it into the cells and the body has started breaking down its own fat and muscle in an attempt to fulfill its metabolic needs. The byproduct of that process is ketones. Ketones can quickly build up to life threatening levels- my Black Kitty once went from ‘negative’ to ‘large’ in exactly 24 hours ... almost lost his life.

Regarding his sister stealing his food, I recommend 2 programmable timed feeders, both set to the same times and places somewhat apart from each other. It won’t tell you if he did not eat a meal and she ends up eating hers and his (or vice versa) but you will know that food will be made available if he wants it.

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  10. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

The thing is, even when I'm there, he's just not into the wet food mid-day. So, I think a timed feeder would just result in ms. wet-food-fanatic getting 2x as much food and becoming a bowling ball of a cat (who we JUST got down to a healthy weight, mind you!)

Buzzy has never been the biggest fan of wet foods, so I genuinely think that's it - though I'm working to try to find a good way to catch urine for ketone tests (he never pees when I can see him). Last night's attempt was a fail -.-

LilTurkey likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can buy meters that test blood ketones. Details under the picture in this post. Handy for cats shy about their bathroom business or multiple cat situations. I was lucky my girl was not shy at all, but she like to go pee about 5 minutes before my alarm went off. :rolleyes:

It took my DH ages to be able to test. Like yours, he could shoot no problem but just for some reason didn't want to "hurt her". It was baby steps, a little bit at a time. And such a relief when he finally went solo. With baby coming, you have a fantastic excuse for needing help. Good luck with that project.

12. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

blergh.. back in the pink, basically the red.
    really stressed tonight & it's upsetting my husband, so that's fun.

lined the edge of the litter box (his fav pee spot) with seran wrap, so we'll see if I catch anything idk.
    need a good cry tonight. I'm so beyond stressed between parenting, being pregnant, working full-time, managing the house, and now this, and it all feels like too much.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  13. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Celebrate with me! I finally captured Buzzy's pee and did a ketone test (negative!)
    Seran wrap along his favorite pee edge did the trick - let's hope that keeps working lol

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  14. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Yay for catching the pee and the test being negative!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

toomanycats likes this.
  15. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Well done!:cool:
    Yay for negative!!!