? 2/11 - Wally - 4th day below 70 in a row ... maybe too much insuline?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wally & Stefano, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Wally & Stefano

Wally & Stefano Member

Prev post
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...7-4-5-51-5-68-6-60-6-5-63-7-63-7-5-64.210568/

Also today we had to monitor him strictly during AM cycle - fortunately when I was at work I had my girlfriend at home that could assist him.

Following my indications she tried to rise him at +6.5 with MC but didn't work at all... he moved from 62 to 66 and then back to 62

We then tried with HC because at +8 he was still going down....

PMPS is 100 and we shot 7.5u that is 1unit less than usual!

Tested +2 PM and result is 121

I think we should start reduce because we can't handle these numbers when we are not home and we don't want him to go in the lime area.

Please let me know your thoughts

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I am tagging @Wendy&Neko since she said not to reduce if you haven't seen 50.

3. Wally & Stefano

Wally & Stefano Member

Mandy, I was reasoning on the fact that we didn't see below 50 - but we saw 51 :) - only because we always prevented that event using MC / HC.

Today we had to bring out 28% to prevent him to go below 60 while i was not home....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A 51 is not below 50. Maybe he wouldn’t have gone below 50 without HC. He has not yet earned a reduction and has started to see some lovely cycles. However, I can undestand why you are nervous. It’s too bad we don’t have the results from an IGF-1 test. For a cat with acromegaly, earning reductions is not our goal because reductions don’t mean the pancreas is healing, but rather that the tumour is pulsing and less insulin is needed, or there is a break in glucose toxicity if kitty has been seeing mostly high numbers. Instead a goal of under renal threshold is a good one for an acrocat.

Not everyone here has a goal of remission, even with a non acromegalic cat. For your comfort, you may want to reduce the dose a bit, maybe to 8.25 units, and see if you can raise the nadirs a bit. If he had earned a reduction I would have suggested a 0.5 unit reduction. The one time reduction tonight will help drain the 8.5 unit depot. Note for any lurkers, this is not TR, but rather my suggestion for Stephano, because Wally may have a high dose condition.

5. Wally & Stefano

Wally & Stefano Member

Thank you Wendy, I will keep monitored and dedice how to proceed based on Wally feedback.

I will keep you updated! Going to run at work now!