? 2/12 Jonesy AMPS 243 = 1.0u ; +2 = 288 ; PMPS 274=1u - "trace" ketones?? When to panic?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darcy and Jonesy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Morning,

So I managed to get a ketone strip test completed. According to the chart, he has "trace" ketones, the one next to "negative". Honestly, I doubt I even did the test properly as I was trying to swing it under his butt mid-stream ;) I doubt I got the 15 seconds correct as I couldn't tell if the strip was wet or not.

Should I disregard this test, pretty much knowing it was not perfect? (and of course I'll keep trying!) Or is "trace ketones" not something to panic about?

Also, if he is showing "trace ketones", is that something that can be reversed here at home? Or is it only going to get worse and should I be freaking out? (It's always good to plan for a good, quality "freak out" ;) LOL)

Thanks!

Yesterday http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-185-pmps-277-1-0u-4-256.225519/#post-2525133

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I found if I used a soup ladle under Freckles' butt, I was able to catch a good sample to test. I have no experience with ketones but thought I would mention this handy tip that I learned from this group.

LilTurkey and Darcy and Jonesy like this.
  3. Darcy and Jonesy

Oooooh, LOVE that! I tried putting the cut off corner of a plastic bag in his favourite corner of the box. He looked at it, looked at me, and proceeded to go in and bury it, then use the opposite corner! LOL

Thanks for the tip! I'm not a cook, so my one ladle can easily be Sacrificed to the Search for Ketones!

Sue and Luci and Sonia & Leo like this.
  4. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

:eek:Orrrr, you can buy a cheap one at the dollar store just in case you decide to have soup. lol

5. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Buzzy has a favorite pee area too, so I lined the entire edge of the box with seran wrap & was able to capture urine that way. I didn't let him see me do it lol.

6. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Darcy, try to get another test as soon as you can, in the meantime make sure Jonesy is eating and has lots of water. Add water to his food. Put a question mark on your thread and let's get you bumped up to the top so someone with experience can help out. :bighug:

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Get another test at your first opportunity. Also try testing your own urine as a cross check.

Pay attention to his breath, watching for a weird fruity sort of smell, Something like nail polish remover.

ketones can quickly ramp up to dangerous levels. Test daily. Anything above trace warrants a call to the vet.

Watch for any decrease in appetite. Also mix as much water as he will tolerate into his food. Proper hydration is important.

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I hope his next test is negative!

Keep us posted please :)

Darcy and Jonesy and Sonia & Leo like this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you get a negative ketone test. :bighug::bighug:

Darcy and Jonesy and Sonia & Leo like this.
  10. Darcy and Jonesy

Thanks everyone! His appetite is good, he's just eating right now (laying half in, half out of his bed *face palm*) After my dinner I'll hang out in "his" room all evening to try to catch him while he pees. I've got a rarely used (hopefully, never again after this evening if all goes well) measuring cup, ready to be swing under his butt. Wish me luck on my Pee Quest.

On the plus side, first steady day of yellows. I'll take it.

Judy and Freckles likes this.