2/12 Sabrina Still In Hospital - Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by milfordcollector, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Good Afternoon Lantus Land! Sorry I went braindead, sitting here at McDonalds, trying to update everyone on Sabrina's progress & forgot how to link the previous condo....omg!!!! Anyway later I'll try to edit & link it together......2/10 Sabrina DKA, topic #132910. She's still hanging in, keeping food down with the help of meds & fluids. Tomorrow they would like to start her back on Lantus & see how she does, possibly they'll release her on Saturday.....Miss my furkid terribly!!! In the meantime, I got my supplies....ketone blood test meter, strips, sub q fluids, & FF kitten food(plus blender on hand if she needs syringe feeding) Tomorrow I do not have work, so I'll be busy updating her ss, current lab results, etc. this is now her 2nd bout with DKA & I feel I'm missing something in my treatment of diabetes. When I gather all the info maybe unbiased experienced eyes will look for me & spot something I possibly missed. Thank you & God Bless....Cindy & Sabrina:bighug:
    Sabrina's 2/10 condo

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Reason for edit: linking previous condo
  2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update...still sending prayers! Please do come back once you're re-settled....I personally don't have DKA experience, but there are folks here who know it so well and I'm sure they would love to help!

3. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Like Amy said, plenty of folks around here with DKA experience. There's no better place for your kitty to be.

4. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Sending lots of healing thought to you and Sabrina. The diabetes is enough to deal with and to add the DKA on top of that it must be extremely difficult.

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

adding prayers...

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending continued healing vines to Sabrina. Keep eating and getting better pretty girl.
    :bighug:

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're not missing anything in your treatment of diabetes.
    Pancreatitis can happen all on its own and cause diabetes! The pancreas can get an infection that triggers pancreatitis. The digestive enzymes made by the pancreas may prematurely start working ... and digesting the pancreatic tissue, causing great irritation and pain. And there are other conditions which may happen concurrently also triggering it, such as IBD. I had a coworker whose cat came down with it while being routinely treated for IBD and shared everything I could find on it, including the Pancreatitis Primer here.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

sending our continued healing thoughts to your little one.

When you get settled, holler - folks with lots of ketone experience will give you a hand getting back on track with her.

9. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Thank you everyone...... Have a good night & we'll get back on track. Cindy & Sabrina

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

To link your previous condo, "copy" the link, then start a new condo. Write whatever you want to call it "2/11 condo" or "Yesterday's condo" or whatever, and then "highlight" it like you were going to copy/paste it and then hit the little icon along the top that looks like a chain link. A new little box will come up for you to "paste" the actual link into

Sure hope Sabrina is doing better soon and can come home to your loving arms!!

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I don't know if your treatment of her diabetes has anything to do with the DKA but I do think you are leaving her at too low of a dose for too long and are risking glucose toxicity.....at least up u til Sept, 2014. I don't know if you've changed her dosing since then or not. Do you have an updated SS?

Sending Sabrina many prayers for total recovery.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Marje and Gracie ....She's going to be updating her spreadsheet/labs, etc. tomorrow since she has the time off of work.

13. Marje and Gracie

Thanks, Chris....I saw that and was hoping there was something recent but sounds like not.

14. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Omg ladies......I did a little updating through beginning of November....my meter is at the vets office with Sabrina which I'll get later when I visit. Looking back I think she did develop glucose toxicity only because I was gun shy with her previous dka & my work schedule is so inconsistent........I have to get back to a more aggressive approach for her treatment. I spoke with the vet this morning & they'll probably release her this afternoon. The doctor gave her the 1st dose of lantus @ 8:30 this morning & will monitor Sabrina during the day.......starting back at .5U & I'm very nervous about getting her back to optimum health. Now will I have to wait for her depot to build back up....10 days, I just can't remember & when will I start adjusting it again. thanks for everyones' continued support. Cindy & Sabrina:cat:

15. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Sabrina is coming home today. Sending more Healing Vines your way.

16. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy,
    Glad to hear Sabrina is coming home today.
    Please let us know what dose she was on right before she was hospitalized. It's a very important piece of information.

17. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Sabrina and you. There are people who can help you monitor a more aggressive approach with the insulin.

18. Marje and Gracie

Sending many prayers for Sabrina.

Just remember that DKA occurs when there is not enough insulin + infection + not enough food/water. So keeping the dose low is not what you want to do if numbers are higher. You want to be sure you keep her as close to normal numbers as you safely can. Does that mean she won't develop DKA? No but it is much, much less likely that she would because she's probably getting close to enough insulin if she's close to normal numbers. The scenario might be that she would be in normal numbers but develops an infection; numbers rise; she stops eating; ketones develop......next step is potentially DKA. So the closer the numbers are to normal, the less the risk of DKA. I know we all wish that normal numbers would completely eradicate the chance for DKA but not so....it just minimizes it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.