? + 2 122 +3 115 +4 100 +4.5 86 +6 149 +7 167 +10 356 PMPS 423 +2 347

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mucacopatarica, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mucacopatarica

mucacopatarica Well-Known Member

Unbelievable. After 24 hours we have 174. So i did not gave my cat the dose yesterday because of low measurements. She should be really really high this morning, but we have "just" 174. She was on 2.25 u last time. Today she should go on 1,5 u. But is this still to much?

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Sara, if you are able to monitor, I think you should shoot the 1.5. Be prepared to feed her if she looks like she's dropping too much, but maybe she will surf for you. I really think this cat is on a mission! :) I would shoot the 1.5 and test at +2.

3. mucacopatarica

Oky doky. i ll be at home all day. We acctually have holidays in Slovenia and i have time. Do you think she wants to come in remission?

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

She may be headed that direction. I don't want to say anymore for fear of jinxing her....

mucacopatarica likes this.
  5. mucacopatarica

Let we see what day on 1,5 brings us....i have a lot od LC MC and HC, honey, about 50 teststrips, 3 meters itd. I m ready for today...

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck with the new dose. We find that the longer we can safely keep a kitty on insulin, the stronger the remission - should that be what is in Tacka's future. The depot helped her stay fairly low today. Sometimes you'll see the effect of a skip on a later cycle.

7. mucacopatarica

Thank you! I hope it will be safety today. Surf Tač surf for me. She is in a good mood this morning.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I agree - as long as you can monitor, it's good to continue giving insulin and work your way down the dosing scale. I like the idea of trying the 1.5u that Sienne & Gill talked about yesterday.

Good luck!

9. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Morning Sara.
    Wow 175 after that skipped shot. :cool::cool::cool:

I am around this morning, have to wait for a delivery so will check in on you in case you need help.

10. mucacopatarica

Morning Gill & George.
    Yes i know-weird o_O
    i will test her in 15 minutes (+2)

How is George today? :cat:

11. Gill & George

He is good, hungry this morning because he didn't wake up and get his +9 snack last night from the autofeeder:rolleyes: I put it just outside the bedroom door so he doesn't have to go downstairs to get it. I suppose he would prefer me to set an alarm and spoon feed him while he lounges on the bed:rolleyes::)

12. mucacopatarica

hehehe George you naughty boy :D i m glad he is ok. You have 14 days today dont you? ;)

Gill & George likes this.
  13. mucacopatarica

i have +2 allready. Nomatter how much we reduce the dose she is always going down...6.8 (122) i really need to be prepared today i think.

14. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

That's good. That's what we want her to do. That isn't a huge drop, but you should probably give her a little LC and test again in an hour.

15. Gill & George

You could give Tacka a teaspoon of LC (perhaps the 5%) and test in an hour.

16. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

17. Gill & George

But you know what they also say........;)
    I just saw we cross posted. I will be around this morning if you need to head of to bed.:)

18. mucacopatarica

ok she ate teaspoon od 5,3% carbs. She was not happy with that but i convinced her that this is the best.

19. Gill & George

Not hungry or just wanted something else??

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tacka, eat your fuds! They are yummy. Really, your mama wouldn't give you anything that isn't good!

Thanks @Gill & George. I'll be headed off in the next 45-60 minutes. Just wanted to check in on Sara. I know you've got it under control. :)

21. mucacopatarica

not hungry i think. She ate 2 hours a go....

22. Gill & George

My experience with George has been that he is not as hungry when he is in good numbers (like Tacka is in now), but when he dropped lower (40's ) he was ravenous, and would come and find me for food(that was quite handy to know he would look for food.
    He was also very hungry when he was in pink/red/black, he couldn't get enough food down his throat.:rolleyes:.

Just before his diagnosis he got into the dog food while I was out, made himself sick, there was puke everywhere, equivalent of about 4-5 bowl fulls:eek::eek: I suspect that it was his high BG even then that drove him to eat that much dog food in one sitting!!!

If Tacka gets into lower numbers this cycle it would be interesting to see if her appetite changes, not all cats get hungry when they go low, but it's good to know if they do.

23. mucacopatarica

OMG George :D
    Tačka was hungry all the time when she was in high numbers. And she is not that hungry when she is in good numbers like George. Bul tast time when we fell at 34 she was sleeping. When i woke her up and figured that she is to low she ate everything i gave her-even honey. Soon it will be +3...
    She is out now but i see her :D We are testing outside sometimes...

24. mucacopatarica

+3 6,4 mmol/l (115) hmmm not falling anymore

25. Gill & George

Good, hopefully she will surf.

Don't feed her now, in case you need to later but get a +4 to make sure that she is surfing.

26. mucacopatarica

i will. Thank you very much! :D

27. mucacopatarica

surfing for now +4 100 She is in good move today...
    Hm i smelled her back now and it smells like insulin (i hope it wasnt fur shot? :eek:)

28. Gill & George

Sometimes there is excess insulin on the needle (from when you squirt out the excess when you draw the dose) and it gets on the fur.

She's doing well, nice blue surf going on, maybe she will dip her toes in the lagoon:cool:

29. mucacopatarica

we ll se what happened. :cat:
    i m angry because i cant get syringes 0,3 ml (0,5unit) in SLO. When i found them on internet it was just a picture but they have only 0,5ml. i have few insulution (0,1ml but no 0,5u) syringes at home but they are so clumsy....now i try to catch a dose with these 0,5 ml but it is a bit frustrating.

30. mucacopatarica

where not when*

31. mucacopatarica

she is sleeping big time and i panic a little bit so i tested her 10min to early. At +4.50 4,8 mmol/l (86) should i give her something to eat? i think i should

32. Gill & George

the only ones I found in europe were the BD syringes
    upload_2016-4-26_11-57-29.jpeg
    It must say demi on it to have the 0.5 unit markings, if it doesn't say demi then they are not the right ones, I found that sometime the description didnt match the picture.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MicroFine-0-3ml-Insulin-Syringes-U100/dp/B00K86ZO20 also available in amazon uk. they will deliver to slovenia. Maybe in amazon slovenia?? They were not available from amazon spain, but my pharmacy were able to order them, I had to take a picture from the website thought as they had never used them before.

33. Gill & George

86 is great!!
    But give her something to eat just some low carb.

86 is a great number.

34. mucacopatarica

ok she ate 3 tea spoons of 5.3% (Power of nature)
    i must order thiy syringes but i need them now :facepalm:

35. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Tacka's numbers are looking great!! Gill is doing a wonderful job with the advice on feeding! [​IMG]

Just make sure you don't feed too much....maybe a teaspoon...so that you are able to give more food if she continues to drop :)

36. mucacopatarica

OK now is too late (ate 3 teaspoons-she was hungry). Nex time i will give her less.

37. Tuxedo Mom

No problem. If the numbers are dropping and you are worried about them going lower it is best not to give too much food so that she will be willing to eat if you need to feed more food. But right now her numbers are looking very good and she is not dropping too fast. The nadir "seems" to be around +6, but of course that can always change.

The numbers are looking so good, especially after a skipped shot.

38. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Very pretty numbers for Tacka this morning (well, morning in Ohio). And, very nice job of steering those numbers!!

39. mucacopatarica

Tačka is a weird cat...her curves are a little bit odd recently. Acctually she dont wana go up after the drop...ajej ajej...

40. mucacopatarica

hmmm going up! +6 149! what s happening?

41. Gill & George

Could be he is going to bounce, after spending such a long time in nice numbers it wouldn't be unusual to see this happen.

But also wondering about the possible furshot.

Don't worry, what goes up must come down;)

42. mucacopatarica

it was funny earlier (in between measurements) she became full of energy in some moment (thats quite unusual for her because she is usually really slow) and than she required food (ate just a little bit) and go to sleep. Is this play some role in the situation?

43. Gill & George

It might, but maybe she is just being a cat.:cat:

George had been very inactive for months, he is 13-17 years old, we adopted him as an adult, but once he got into better numbers he has moments of kitten playing behaviour, then he goes back to the business of sleeping.

44. mucacopatarica

George and Tačka would be good friends i think :D

Tačka was neighbor s cat. When me and my BF rented this apartement she came in. She was in very bad condition. Soooo skinny and with bad fur, bad teeth itd. Fortunately she was neutered at the time (but neighbors said she had babies in the past) Then they said that she is 15 years old (i dont know if that was real but ok). She is an old lady from the begining and she even act like this...So we are now together 4 years. She was on surgery two times in meantime (teeth, little tumor on her lips) and now we have diabetes. And she is my little sweet furry baby :cat:

+7 9.3 (167) i think that is it for AMPS time. I will test her again in the evenig, before next shot (but dont know how much should i give her-will see)...

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  45. Gill & George

See what she does. Again you could test@+10 and post up with the result to see what others think of the dose.

I think I would stick with the 1.5u would be a good choice, unless she does anything crazy, and as long as you can monitor her.
    It would be good to try and get some consistent dosing with her. She has been having a great run in blue an green.

46. mucacopatarica

ok i ll test +10 and post up with result.

I think this is a good choice. I dont know about fur shot and if 24 hours pause played any role in this cycle.

47. mucacopatarica

+10 19.8 (356) i am really sad right now...:arghh:

48. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like she's bouncing as well as feeling the effect of the skipped shot/possible furshot

Bounces are hard on us, but they are a normal part of things, especially at the beginning. Hopefully as she spends more time in those "good" numbers, her body will re-learn that it's OK to be there and she won't bounce as high or as long

I'd plan on giving the same 1.5 dose at PMPS time. We need to find a dose you can give every 12 hours that's safe for her and doesn't take her too low

Hang in there....It will get better!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. Gill & George

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Possibly bouncing, it might take upto 6 cycles to clear, but some kitties clear it sooner. It's part of the process.

With your next shot you are shooting how low the dose takes her, not what she is at pre shot, so try to stick to the plan and go with the 1.5u. With this dose you should be able to shoot twice a day and take advantage of the depot/overlap and long duration of Lantus.

Even though she is high get a +2 (bearing in mind that if the +2 is a lot lower it could be your early warning of an active cycle and might prompt you to test more frequently)
    If she is still high at +2 then maybe a test before you go to bed, just to make sure she is not going to get up to any shenanigans at night, kitties are known for liking to surprise us;), and with all the dose changing you have had to make, Tackas patterns are not yet clear.

Taken from the new to the group sticky (there's more info and links to other resources there that will explain it further)

• Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles)
    • overlap - the period of time when the effect of one insulin shot is diminishing and the next insulin shot is taking effect
    • Insulin Depot - a "spare tank" of insulin, which has yet to be used by the body

50. mucacopatarica

Do you think she will ever go down again? Did George experienced that througt healing process? Am i doing something wrong?
    I hope thats not the end of nice numbers. They should be little less tense but i would like see her down again...

i will go with 1,5 today. I hope it will be ok.

51. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hello, yes, she will come down. Look at Bubba's spreadsheet from last night's run with lower numbers and I had to steer with lots of High Carb( HC ) food. Look at his +3 number then now he is coming down. Some cats bounce a lot, some not so. Some cats clear the bounces quickly and some take up to 3 days of 6 cycle. This is a dance that requires patience. I recently had to wear the patience pants. he he.

52. mucacopatarica

so frustrating...i dont know if were ever that high like now....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

53. Tuxedo Mom

With the skipped shot and the lower numbers having caused a bounce these numbers are not unusual.

If you look at April 19, Taoka had lower numbers during the day. You held the shot two hours that night until she was at 378. The next morning she was at 382. It is possible that her numbers were even higher during the night. But then over the next couple of days she came back into better numbers. When a kitty bounces, it just takes time to clear. Over time the bounces get less and clear faster. :bighug:

54. mucacopatarica

I see but you all have so great ss-s. And i tried so much and we are here now...How high can she go now? She is sleeping all the time..Im so sad right now that i cant even party for George :(

55. Tuxedo Mom

Now don't go worrying. You definitely need to party for George's OTJ clebration!!!

If you want to see ups and downs look at my Maxie's spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fdks4sQSXCO4L40JrWUnYznvxCerej0foef-xWuwc_M/edit#gid=0

Just like her brother she is a VERY bouncy kitty.

She was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and I am seeing anywhere from Black to Green on her sheet. It takes time and patience (something I have had to learn to find :) ) You are doing a fine job but it does take time. George had his ups and downs in the start too and now he is having his OTJ party, so don't get discouraged. :bighug:

56. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Sara, you're doing a wonderful job! Kitties bounce, especially when they are new to insulin. It's very frustrating for you, but it's okay - it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. The good news is that you can get her into the lower numbers and she'll surf there for a while. That is very healthy - the longer she's in lower numbers, the easier it is on the pancreas. You are doing all the right things, but remember that her body has to readjust to this, so it's going to overreact sometimes. Unfortunately, Feline Diabetes isn't something you can "fix" quickly. It takes time to develop and it takes time to get it under control. We all understand 'cause we've all been there!

57. mucacopatarica

She is not new on insulin. She is on insulin since January but i was not testing so much earlier because my vet told me so....She was in high number for 2 months but very rare in that high numbers. I came here a week ago because i havent agreed with my vet and i realized that this forum is all that Tačka need right now. My vet has not experienced living with diabetic cat and i fill that other vets dont have enough knowlede. Slo is quite small country so all the vets are from the same school.
    i know that you understand me. When you dedicate so much of everything in that, the fall can be so much more frustrating.

58. Tuxedo Mom

Three months is still "new" to insulin. You also have to remember that a kitty did not become diabetic overnite and it takes time to get their systems back to normal. The higher numbers can be very discouraging, but Taoka is on a much lower dosage than a few weeks ago and is still getting to green numbers. It just takes time. Don't look at the few higher numbers, look at how Taoka is doing overall. :bighug:

59. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yes, I know how frustrating it is. Seems like I just get my kitty into good numbers and he starts bouncing again! You feel like :banghead:.

60. mucacopatarica

I try to see bigger picture but...jp i feel like :banghead:
    Thank you for your support. :bighug:Now i will eat and than we will drink a beer for George. Positive thoughts. I hope she will get down soon.

61. Gill & George

Thanks for raising a glass to George Sara

George was diagnosed back in October and it wasn't till the end of January that he gave up on bouncing, the numbers for that are in the 2015 tab, you may not have seen them. In the beginning he was flat and red and black for what seemed like an eternity, then came the bounces, and then one day he stopped.

Those greens and blues get addictive real fast, we've all been frustrated and upset when we see them run high, and when they come back down, which they do, the joy we feel to see those blues and greens again is indescribable.:D
    Hang in there, the depot for this dose needs to build and settle, she'll get back to the lagoon just give her a little time.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

62. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ditto for every thing that Gill just said. You have probably had someone say this to you all ready : This sugar dance is a marathon not a sprint. It's early in the game for you Tacka. Things start to shape up once their bodies get used to the insulin and new lower carb diet. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.