2/13: Cosmo (oldtimer) update/ascites

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyn and Cosmo, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hello!
    Cosmo is doing well. He is the sweetest boy ever, and puts up with his momma bean's worries. The last time we updated (3 or 4 weeks ago?) I had just taken him into the vetty bean for pancreatitis, where he was given a shot of cerenia, sent home with famotodine, mirtz, and bup.
    The IM vet noted upon physical exam that he thought Cosmo had fluid in his abdomen, and U/S confirmed. Cytology reports were clear of cancerous cells, and the follow up fPLi confirmed p-itis.

Yesterday, we went back for a follow up U/S to see if the fluid had dissipated. Umm... not so much. IM vet and radiologist are puzzled, and haven't really seen it before. The fluid is no longer diffuse, but is now in little pockets/cysts. They aspirated more fluid, and I'm waiting for the cytology report. IM vet says he can't say whether the cysts are good/bad/indifferent, and wants to keep an eye on it.

At home, Cosmo is doing fine. He plays, preens, pees, poos, eats, and picks fights with his brother. He's as snuggly as a bed bug, and much cuter. However, when we got home yesterday, the signs of another p-itis attack came on, so I gave extra fluids, and a shot of famotodine. Two more bouts of vomiting had me calling in the prescription for the injectable cerenia, which I only got 1/2 the dose into him (I shot through the tent! ugh!).

Anyway. He is on the way to recovery. He ate the pile of treats I left for him this morning, but is not super interested in food yet. If he doesn't eat in the next couple hours, we'll have to figure out how to give mirtz. Wish they would make that injectable!

hugs and waves to all our LL friends! We're formally inviting everyone here to come check out the Falls!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great to see you post a condo. You know you're always welcome to spend time in Gabby's if you want to hang out a bit away from the Falls. I'm sorry to hear that Cosmo is having CP flares. Poor guy! I hope the vets figure out the ascietes. Maybe Jojo has some experience with it.

3. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Hope the bout of p'itis clears soon (((Cosmo)))

give him scritches for me!

4. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cyn and Cosmo (and Danger) :smile:

Sorry to hear Cosmo is having a flare. Sending eating vines to the snuggly one-eyed boy.

5. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Hey Cyn... good to see an update on Cosmo. Sorry he hasn't been feeling well. :( Hope the vets can figure out the fluid thing. Poor guy!

But, great to hear he is his snuggly, adorable self! He's always been such a trooper! Feel better Cosmo! Hope that P-titis goes away real soon!

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Aw...feel better soon Sweet Cosmos....so good to see you here today! :D

7. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Hi Cyn-

Great to see your update on your snuggly boy. Sorry about the CP flare...hope it passes soon. From what you say, I take it he's not easy to pill? :razz: I hope the Mirtz works to help his appy, if he needs it.

I'll be looking for your updates on the fluids cyst thingys...how peculiar. Especially since they have never seen such a thing before. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for good news for your boy!

I still can't get over what a sweet snuggly bug he is. cat_pet_icon

8. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Oh, poor Cosmo. I hope he makes a quick recovery from this CP attack. (((Cosmo))).

9. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hey you guys! :mrgreen: I'm so happy to see you today..Hope the CP flare clears soon & Cosmo is back feeling good..
    Thank you for letting us know about Cosmo is..You are such a great momma bean. Come by more often, please.. :D

10. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

Hi Cyn!!

Leave it to Cosmo to develop something the vets have never seen before :roll:

Anywaterpocketycystway, he sounds good - glad the p-titis episode seems to be a quick one.

11. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

HI all,
    thanks for all the well wishes for my baby.
    i'm surrounded by kitty snuggles right now (danger on the right/half on half off of me. he's forgiven me for forcing him into letting me snip the klingon from his butt... I thought I was imagining the smell of poo... )
    and cosmo is under the lap blanket on my left. he's eaten some FF and his treats, but not terribly hungry.

At least he's not vomitting. I was worried he didn't get enough cerenia and I didn't want to give more before the 24 hrs was up.

Jackie- I said the same exact thing to the IM vet when he said they'd never seen it before (I said "well, we are talking about Cosmo")

Ronnie/Linda- Cosmo's CP flares typically last 24-36 hrs. Not very long, but very intense

Judith- no. Cosmo will let me do almost anything to him, except shove stuff in his mouth. We request everything that is injectable to be dispensed that way. Or at the very least, in liquid form.

gave scritches, hugs, and snuggles to him from everyone else! thanks for keeping my lemon kitty in your thoughts.

12. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hello my handsome Pirate-Boy! Please feel better soon - I don't like you being sick (and neither does Boo).

13. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

A nice snuggly household!

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

it's good to hear your update! have been wondering how things have been going. hope cosmo's tummy feels better real soon!

15. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I love reading updates on Cosmo. I hope he feels better verra soon. Cosmo, you'll like that happy pill so let mum get it in you.

16. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Glad Cosmo is doing well despite the fluid thingy. Hope Dr. B can figure out what that is.

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cosmo - good to hear your update. Now, what the heck is going on with you? You know this is your time for fun and sun right?

Come on buck up, feel better and stop worrying your momma bean.

cat_pet_icon

18. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

the ascites has turned into walled off pockets of fluids? uh no can't say i've seen that before. weird. (yeah seen abdominal cysts before of course, just not forming this way). and stranger still is that before this flare he was feeling so okay while having that. usually cats with ascites are pretty sick.

as far as the mirtz, okay comso loves treats i know that. go get yourself a bag of pill pockets and use them as "glue" to glue that little bit of mirtz pill to his favorite treat, even an illegal one. i do that all the time for unpillable cats. first give them a plain treat or two to get them all excited and then slip the one with the pill stuck on and then one plain treat after and they never even know what happened.

hope his flare passes quickly! you sure do a great job of treating all his issues so well.
    let me know what the cytology comes back with...

19. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

yeah. leave it to Cosmo. I wonder... is it b/c he is having another attack? I don't think the abd. fluid totally ever went away... how long does that normally take? but he was having p-itis attack last U/S where ascites first detected, and started vomiting an hour after we got home from this follow up U/S where ascites were more cyst like. whatcha thinkus?

ok. I was hesitating b/c of all the meds he's gotten in the last 24 hrs. A shot of famotodine, some bup, then the shot (well... less than half a dose) of cerenia. I gave the mirtz just now b/c he's interested (super) in treats (bonito flakes and wheat crackers). I put the 1/4 mirtz in a pill pocket and the effer chewed around it! So then I made a smaller pill pocket, and put down a dish of treats (a few bites of wheat cracker with the super small pill pocket thrown in the mix). He gobbled it right up.

Is ur email back up and running Jojo? i should hear about the cytology stuff this coming week. will discuss with Dr B about the possibilty that the new p-itis attack has influenced the cysting (i know it's not a verb) of the ascites.

20. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cosmo, Squishy is sending you a special fortune cookie ;-) Your fortune says "You will have no more health issues to drive the bean nuts with. Dr. B will find out what the fluid thing is and make it go away" ;-)

21. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

22. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Hi Cyn Good to see yah. Sorry Cosmo is having a flare right now. They sure stink don't they? Hope it passes quickly and that you get some answers abut that cysty thing. Give your handsome boy a smooch for me.

23. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

i had cheese and crackers for dinner. he licked up crumbs on my plate.

to give mirtz as a low stress event, yes. i bribed him with bits of wheat crackers. he loves crackers.

he just polished off an entire can of Tender Beef Feast FF (3% carbs, but 287 on phos). over 90 cals there. not bad for a flare day.

Karen- I told Dr B that I really like him as a person? But I could stand to see him less often. Really.

24. Patricia&Brownie

Patricia&Brownie Member

So glad to get an update on Cosmo - I like to call him Pirate-kitty just like Heather! Hope his health issues resolve soon - perhaps wheat crackers are just the tonic he needs (in small doses of course!) :lol:

25. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

HI Cyn....

I hope cosmo's flare is going going gone!

as for the ascites --- "clear of cancer cells"
    but did they mention any thing that they did see?
    hope it turns out to be just one "cosmic" abberation !

Nice to see you guys.

civie Wolfie says: Hey Cosmo-- hold out for the cheese to go w/ the crackers next time ! That's what I do !"

26. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Nice to hear from you guys, quite the little soldier :mrgreen:

Hope the fluid and cycts turn out to be nothing more than annoying

Scritchesfrom me cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.