+2/13 MAX AMPS 131+1.5/115+3/67+4/64+5/54/6.25/57+7.5/101PMP S 168+2.5/250+5.5/104

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tiffmaxee, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

YESTERDAY'S CONDO:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...160-2-5-77-3-5-59-5-5-63.133006/#post-1371154

RECAP:
    AMPS 148 +6/92 PMPS 160 +3.5/59 +5.5/63
    I jumped the gun a little when Max hit 59 early and gave him some hc. He jumped up to 82 but was back to 63 on his last test and he's starting off okay this morning. He ate a little 1% about 1/2 an hour before amps test because I when I fell asleep last night I had forgotten to pick up his dish. There wasn't much there.

I a great holiday weekend if you have Monday off. Vines and prayers to all in need. Extras for Tricia and her four and Ruth and Tiger's upcoming US.

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Very nice start for Max today! I hope he gives you a lovely, easy green surf. Sending along extra prayers for your Mom, too!

3. tiffmaxee

Thanks Amy for the prayers. Max decided I should skip my spin class this morning. I hope this means the pancreatitis is going away. I'm still giving him ondansetron.

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Have you ever tried ABs for Max's p-titis? Just curious, since the ABs really seemed to make a huge difference for Trix. To me, she seemed like she never FULLY recovered from the big bout with p-titis she had last year...she got maybe 95% there, but not all the way. This last time, after just a day on the Zeniquin, I could see a big difference. She was on Zeninquin for 14 days, and amoxicillin for 4 weeks, and NOW she seems so much better than she did for the months following the last round of p-titis. Our vetty said that they are now finding that about 50% of p-titis cases are caused by bacterial infection. I guess vets started putting their heads together since so many kitties seem to come down wiith it these days.

It's just a thought, since I know Max has chronic p-titis issues.

5. tiffmaxee

Interesting. I'll discuss it with my vet if Max doesn't return to normal. This is his first major issue with it since becoming diabetic. I think the trama of the dental was the trigger. Every other time I have felt like it might be happening it has gone away with little intervention by me. Fingers and paws crossed that the talk with my vet won't be necessary. Did Trixie show signs of infection in her blood tests?

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Not really...Trix kept us guessing. Her WBC count was normal, but she had obvious abdominal pain and other symptoms that she had the first time around. But, I don't know if you recall this, her kidney values had jumped to horrifically high, scary numbers - to the point where my vet was actually surprised she was alive, much less alive and feeling relatively well. At that point, vetty thought it was just that her CKD had significantly progressed.

The p-titis flared two days after we got the kidney results. Vetty was just going off a theory with using the Zeniquin, given the "chatter" she's heard in the veterinary community lately. She did give us the option to try it - it was up to us, and we decided it certainly couldn't hurt to try the Zeniquin.

We haven't retested yet - vetty wants to wait until Trix is off ABs for at least 5 days, so we're going to retest on Feb 25. It will be interesting to see where her values are then. Vetty is now pretty sure Trix has/had an infectious strain of p-titis that affected her kidneys, too.

Trix did also test positive for enterococcous, too, but the Zeniquin doesn't work on that bacteria - hence the amoxicillin. She started the zeniquin the day the p-titis flare hit and we saw positive results within 24 hours. She didn't start the amoxicillin for almost a week after that because we were waiting for the C&S results to come back.

In hindsight, seeing what she is like now compared to how she was, for example last fall when I thought she was feeling really well...it's a huge difference. Now she seems to feel SO much better than she did even last fall, when it seemed like she was feeling really good. the change in her was so subtle that I really didn't have any hints or clues to tell me something was amiss at the time, but now I can see it....know what I mean?

I hope all that makes sense!

7. tiffmaxee

It totally makes sense. My vet is convinced that Max is not in any pain. He palpated him pretty well and Max didn't even flinch. No bacteria in his urine ever, anti-jinx. They know so little about this disease with cats.

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

His numbers look like classic Max, and he's back to controlling your exercise schedule. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

I think there is a lot of good info in what Amy shared. I hope you and your vet are able to come up with something to help.

Sending healing vines for Max and continuing vines and prayers for your DM.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great numbers for Max today. :D

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful cycle today Max!!

Sure hope you're returning to the "old" Max that we all know and love!! I know your mamabean wants you back in the lagoon most of the time too...and now that China and Cinco are making routine visits, the gang's all there!!

11. Laura&Chichi (GA)

Laura&Chichi (GA) Well-Known Member

Max is baackk! Hope he keeps lookin this good:cat: nice numbers:D

12. tiffmaxee

Hi Tricia, Carla, Laura, and Chris and thanks for stopping by. His numbers are better but he's been under the bed and he just doesn't seem to be feeling well again. Maybe the vet visit stirred him up again. I'm not going to stop the ondansetron quite yet. His appy was poor even though his numbers came down and he should have been hungry like he was when he got up. Maybe I fed too much then and it made his pancreas unhappy.

13. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your thoughts Elise, much appreciated. Max is looking good today, so sorry to hear he's n0t feeling so well today- hugs and scritches. I was wondering if it was the dental that could have triggered his p-titis, I read that stress can trigger it. It is interesting that your vet doesn't think he is in any pain, what else could be causing that poor appy? :bighug::bighug: Also,prayers being sent for your mom as well- I know of at least a few patients at the hospital, plus my BIL's mom that had a UTI cause a type of dementia, it was horrifying, but once the right AB was used, they went back to normal.

14. tiffmaxee

Ruth, when Max gets pancreatitis he becomes inappetent from nausea. Once that is under control he does better. I've rarely given him pain meds for it because it doesn't seem to make a difference. The vet visit likely stirred him up again. Stress, first from Tiffany's illness and loss, and then from pancreatitis often triggers an episode for him.

In the past the infection did make my mom act angry and strangely. They say this time she was clear and now has a small amount of bacteria but still they haven't decided on the right drug to keep it suppressed. That is partially because my sister doesn't like what they are saying as she knows how my mom reacts to the antibiotics and which ones haven't worked. In the past when the infection was better so was she but lately it seems like it doesn't end up that way. :(:mad:

15. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Elise, what a ride Mr. Max is on. You, too. Continuing to send mega vines for your boy. For you. For your DM.

Marilyn and Polly

16. tiffmaxee

Max turned away from the Beechnut which he has been eating the last few days but did eat some Gerbers. I think the vet visit set us back. At least I hope that is what the issue is.:(:eek:

Thanks, Marilyn. We posted at the same time. Yes, he has me worried once again. I thought he was almost better!

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry it's been such a roller coaster for poor Max since his dental. It's one of those things that you really hope makes them better. His numbers are getting better but it might be the inappetance, huh? Sending him extra vines.

I hope your mom continues to improve.

18. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

you have been on quite a ride. At least max's BGs are improved.

Interesting comments from Amy. Something to file away "just in case."

Sending feel better & good appy vibes to Max and healing thoughts for your mom.

19. tiffmaxee

Thanks, Marje and Julie. He is bouncing now as he only ate a spoonful of baby food since late morning. I just put out some ff now though and he ate it! I don't think the better numbers were from not eating as he was starting to feel better. I think lowering the ondansetron too soon after the vet visit might have been a mistake and he was getting nauseous again. He ate well until his numbers dropped this morning and then he stopped.

He was looking for more food but I won't give him any more for an hour as small amounts at a time are better when he has pancreatitis.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.