2/15 Sami AMPS 71; PMBG 74 - NO Shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina & Sammy, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Last night's Recap:
    PMPS: 52 - MM
    +1: 71 - MM
    +2: 68 - MM
    +3: 61 -MM
    +4: 69
    +5.5: 59
    +7: 70

AMPS: 71 - MM
    +1.75: 55 - MM
    +3.75: 59 -MM
    +4.75: 47 - MM + HC
    +5.25: 59
    +6: 54 - HC ( still a little rambunctious, and still dropping a little)
    +7: 60

PMBG - 74 (No Shot)

This mornings AMPS was higher than we have seen in a few days. I am wondering if it is possible that Sami did go lower last night at some point, I just don't know. The fact that she went from 74 at +7 in yesterday's AM cycle to 52 for PMPS leads me to believe that her pancreas is doing some work. Yes, typically Sami has been a double dipper in the past, but at these lower numbers she doesn't usually drop 22 on insulin action after +7, except when she was at the higher doses and needed a decrease. It will be very interesting to see what she does today.

I am still debating whether or not to take Sami to work with me again this week. My boss is still on vacation until Wednesday, so it will be very quite at the office today and tomorrow. Maybe I will take her just two more days. She knows when it is time to get in the car and I can tell how much she really hates it. But I also know that she enjoys her time with me at the office. The only problem is that usually as soon as she gets comfortable on my lap the phone rings or I need to actually work. I feel so sorry that I have to disturb her.

I still have a few more hours before I have to go to work. DH will be home today, but he refuses to test Sami. I told him he would only need to test at +6, because I will get a +3 before I leave for work. But he just won't do it. More than likely I will break down and take her with me. I keep telling myself what is just two more days, and then it is two more day, and two more days. At some point I do have to leave her at home.

2. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Re: 2/15 Sami AMPS 71

Sami's SS looks wonderful. When you do have to leave her just leave out extra food and Im sure she'll be fine. Shes on such a tiny dose and it looks like good things will be happening in the future.

3. Tina & Sammy

Re: 2/15 Sami AMPS 71; +3.75 47; OTJ TRIAL NEXT?

If looks could kill I would not be breathing right now. This morning when I was leaving for work and getting ready to put Sami in the carrier, she gave me such a look. Then when I went to pick her up she whined at me. I was oh so tempted just to let her stay home with daddy and the other fur babies, but I just told myself, and her, it would probably only be one more week. And I am so glad I decided to make her go with me to the office today.

We got to the office around 8:30 and everything was fine. At 9:15 I did a test and then gave her a little snack, she was at 59. By 9:45 she was very rambunctious. She kept going in the kitchen and getting in the cabinets. I finally had to put child locks, shipping tape, on all the cabinets to keep her from going in there. By 10:15 she just wouldn't settle down so I checked her sugar again and found a 47. Boy does she like that number, or I am just good at catching that one. Having just given her a ¼ of a can at 9:15 am I was not expecting that, usually she rises up a little just after food. I gave her another ¼ of a can of LC at 10:15. She gobbled it up in less than 2 minutes, so I gave her a tiny bit of HC, she probably didn't need it but I needed to get her settled down. After the snack at 10:15 she finally laid down and started acting normal again. I guess she knows how to get my attention to tell me she needs food. I just need to pay attention.

Anyway, she seems fine now. She is resting on the chair in my office. I will check her again in 15 minutes to make sure she is on the rise.

I am pretty sure that this means we can go on to an OTJ Trial. Could someone confirm this for me or let me know that we should continue on this dose a little longer.

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

I would say yes an OTJ trial is certainly possible. You have a long string of very pretty greens there and if she's going low on .1U then there isn't anything less you can give other than 0, so congratulations! I would say you could begin tonight. You know how it works.....measure at what would be your shot times report as OTJ day ? AMBG and PMBG ''s If it's green your good to go until 12 hours later, if you get a blue or higher number don't panic and don't give insulin. Normally it will come back down on it's own after a few hours so say it's AMBG and it's blue, feed breakfast as usual and the test again about 2-3 hours later, it will most likely be green again. 14 days and it's party time!

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

congrats on your trial! now fingers and paws crossed that she stays oh so lovely for the next 14 days! And then we party!

Oh - and since she's on trial - it's safe to leave her home - remember she cannot hypo on 0 insulin! Also, if she has low numbers, without insulin, you do not need to feed HC food. Just keep doing what you are doing with her regular food and test am and pm and post.

Oh boy this is exciting indeed! :D

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck Sami!!! :RAHCAT

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

:lol:
    You know, one thing I haven't seen in your condo's is a big.................

ANTIJINX!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck Tina and Sami! Whooohooo!
    :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

8. Tina & Sammy

Sami will be very happy to hear that she can be a Stay-at-Home Kitty. She finally got the memo that if she didn't need insulin she could stay home. I will miss her at the office though.

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Congrats Tina and Sami!!!! Good luck flip_cat

10. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

There is something a little less than .10 that you can give, if you want. I'm not saying that you should, but I know I am thinking about it for my own little guy, who's on .10 as well. I see most people go from .10 to nothing, but I was considering doing just a drop or two instead of going from .10 to nothing, just to give Quincy's pancreas a little more time to heal. One of the stickies has photos of fine doses on it - see the "some" insulin photo on http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157 .

Either way, things are looking very promising for you and Sami. Good luck!

11. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

I had a feeling this would happen, Tina. This is why I suggested you continue taking her to work with you this week. I'm glad you did and I'm glad you caught that 47! :smile:

I think Sami is going to do great this time when she goes OTJ because you have completely changed her diet since the last time she went off insulin.

Congratulations Tina & Sami!!!! :mrgreen:

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

This is terrific news Tina.
    I am so happy for you guys.
    You have done an amazing job, and to second Ronnie,

ANTIJINX too.

13. Tina & Sammy

Thanks Chris, it was your post yesterday that really had me rethinking it, and yes I am very glad I did bring her with me today. Hubby was home today, but he wouldn't have known what to do. Now she will get to stay home and I don't have to freak out every minute wondering what is going on at home.

Yes, I think the diet really did the trick, because even when she was on insulin for the months of November and December she didn't see much progress. Then when I switched her to LC wet she started to make progress, and then when the Mini Meals were implemented that was when things really started to get GREEN!

14. Tina & Sammy

Re: 2/15 Sami AMPS 71; +4.75 47; Timed Feeder Question

I am considering getting one or more timed feeders, and was wondering which one everyone uses.

15. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

16. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Yes, looks like OTJ Trial time to me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's how this works:

Test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times. Feed multiple small meals throughout the day as much as possible (small meals are less likely to overwhelm a newly functioning pancreas).

If she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time, just feed small meals and go about your day. If she is blue, feed a small meal and test again after about 3 hours. If her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then her pancreas is working!

Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. It is not unusual for cats to get lots of blue during their trial, especially at first. Don't panic and don't shoot unless we tell you to.

After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens, we just give her the support she needs. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Good luck!

17. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Woohoo! So glad you took her to work and were able to catch that. And now she can spend her days napping in the sun, dreaming of the falls. :)

(antijinx) :)

18. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Congrats, Tina & Sami!!
    Also, if you want to buy my timed feeder from Petsmart - I am selling it in the Supply Closet - I only used mine once & got it last month.. batteries included : )

19. Tina & Sammy

Thanks Nicole! Can you tell me why you decided not to use the timed feeder?

20. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Tina, I want to get rid of mine because I Baby & Sadi are grazers - they naturally eat small amounts throughout the day - I do not find that I need to regulate the quantities - they just don't eat much in one sitting - I literally leave one 5oz can for them from the time I leave in the morning (7am) until I get home (4pm) & there is only 1/4 gone or so. Now, they do eat more in the evenings when I am home - but the regulation/setting the timer was not needed for us.
    The one day I used it - it did work well & I think it sounds like something that would work well for Sami since you give mini meals.

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

congrats on the OTJ trial tina and sami! :mrgreen:

22. Tina & Sammy

Sami's BG was 74 tonight before her normal shot time. I was a little nervous about starting an OTJ trial with a higher PMPS, but I know this is still a very healthy number. I have just gotten use to seeing those 50's so it might be difficult to see some slightly higher number, which we might see now that she is on a OTJ Trial.

We will be checking in each day and hopefully in 14 days we will be partying.

23. Tina & Sammy

Libby, I do have one quick question. You say if she is blue then feed a small meal and test again 3-4 hours later. Does that mean that I should only feed her ONE mini meal, and then wait 3-4 hours after that ONE mini meal before I feed any more?

24. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Tina and Sami on your venture in OTJ trial!! Anti-jinx and flip_cat flip_cat dancing_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.