2/15 Scrabble no amps,pmps 121, did not give shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Tried to get an amps this morning to no avail. I was having a hard time getting blood, his ears were red and he kept twitching them so I couldn't do it. Just got up so I am going to wait for him to lay down and try again. I hate doing this home testing!!! I get so stressed out when I can't do it!!!! Hopefully I will have a couple of numbers from today. We are officially off of dry today, he just seems hungry all the time.

2. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Re: 2/15 Scrabble no amps

Hi! Scrabble is very pretty. Have you tried to use a rice sock to warm up his ear yet? At first Boomer's ear wouldn't bleed and it's very stressful. Warming the ear up first helps a lot. Now I don't even need to use it. I also bought a lowing gauge lancet - 26 (fatter) so it helps too.

3. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Hi thanks yes I have tried the rice sock, I did buy the ulta thin lancets so maybe I do need to try the bigger one's. I feel so bad when I see the red marks on his ears!

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

ECID, but I had to heat the sock up more than just warm to get it to work on him. I also use a wadded up tissue behind his ear to lean/push up against. Usually I need to put pressure on the lancet by pushing it firmly agaist the ear - that helps too. I know what you mean about beating up his ears. I've had to test more than usual that last couple days and the ear I test on is a little bruised. He doesn't really mind; it's more of a minor annoyance for him. Once he hears me fiddling around with the strips and the meter he runs into the kitchen to get tested because he knows it's treat time! :lol:

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You'd think with those big ears in the photo, you'd have no problem at all (Lol!!!).

Seriously, deep breath time. If you stress out, Scrabble stresses out. Give yourself more time at pre-shot so you don't feel rushed. Make this a positive for you both. If Scrabble likes to be brushed, spend some time brushing him before and/or after. Talk to him -- tell him how wonderful he is for putting up with all of this and he's going to get treats and hugs for being such a good boy. (Your calm tone is good for him and you.) In the oddest sort of way, testing is a bonding experience. Many times when I call Gabby or to pick her up to be tested, she's purring. (And if you look at her SS, I test a lot.) You also need to cultivate your own form of the Vulcan death grip on Scrabble's ear. Otherwise, that perfect drop you get will get flicked away or Scrabble will whip his head around and you are dropless and you've wasted a strip! Create a routine. Cats are creatures of habit and they will conform to a routine if they are rewarded. Food works for cats -- praise is way far down the reward hierarchy. You know what Scrabble likes. Use that as a reward. And remember, successful poke or not, Scrabble gets a treat.

Also, figure out if the lancet pen is best for you or if freehand in more comfortable. I couldn't use the pen to save my life. Freehand was a snap. (Well, other than the times I poke myself by accident!)

It really does get easier. If it's any consolation at all, no one showed me how to test. I watched videos. I'm pretty comfortable with sharp objects, maybe that helped!

Get a test as soon as you are able.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I bought some of those ultra fine needles and found that it really didn't let the drop get bog enough for testing. Ended up buying another gauge (28).

Another thing is that alot of us rub neosporin on their little ears after testing. Think it helps with the bruising and healing. Do you apply pressure after you get the drop for testing?

8. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you trying to do the testing? I have a table where I put a towel and when Shadow sees the towel, he knows what will be happening. Once I got used to getting the drop of blood, I could then do it wherever he was lying at the moment. I find that if I lean over his body and approach the ear from the rear it works cause he isn't seeing anything, know what I mean? You have to find a comfortable position so that you can relax and see the ear properly.
    I hold a folded tissue against the ear too so the lancet has a firm surface to poke into. Have been using the 30 gauge size. Keep trying....you will get it! :D

9. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Let me tell you.. the first 3 or 4 weeks I tested, Nova's ears looked like they had been run over by a train, twice.. and then shot a few times with a bazooka.. I used to poke (I'm not kidding) a dozen times each test.. milking really angers her.. so I have to get a real bleeder off the bat.. often I'd go right through the ear.. either she wouldn't bleed.. or she'd fling the blood into the next timezone before I could get it.. she hates her ears being touched at all.. so testing was a pure nightmare..

In all the horrible things I did to her.. all the ouchies she had.. her ears never really bugged her... and she never stopped talking to me for more then 5 or 10 mins after the torture sessions.. I wish I would have taken pictures.. could have posted them as "it'll never be this bad, and this cat still loves their mommy" inspiration for people starting out.

It's a few months later.. and her and I both have the process down pretty decent.. She volunteers.. she usually purrs for most of the process (except the 3 seconds I actually touch her ear, she still hates that).. and praise and brushes is all the reward she typically demands (though if I'm testing every hour, I give a few treats as an extra reward).. I still have to poke 2 or 3 times a test because she greatly prefers extra stabs over milking.. I test her 6-8 times a day usually now.. and I doubt most people could even tell looking at her..

My advice? Just keep stabbing.. there's no way you could do as bad as I did :).. I also recommend a little bit of polysporin afterwords.. I use the kids stuff because it has a bit of numbing magic in it.. heals those ears up in a jiff.

Also.. the ear won't come detached from the head.. believe me.. Nova tried.. get a good grip :).

10. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

The ears will "learn" to bleed more easily once you get some regular tests in. Sometimes I have to breathe sweet nothings on his ear to make it a little warmer, I think he likes that.

I have to use the inside of the ear, it's easier for me to see.

Attached Files:

11. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Ok just did his pmps test and he is 121, wow, quite a bit down from yesterday! Should I still give him his full unit??????

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Michelle - you might want to change your subject line of your very first post in this thread to read something like "dose advice" or "do I give full dose?" That way everyone will see the question right away and the right set of eyes can help you out. Good luck :mrgreen:

13. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Ok.... let's keep everything for this cat for today in ONE condo.

How comfortable are you at testing?
    IMO, I don't think you are ready to shoot this number.
    I'll post this and make another post are you are like figgity...

14. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

opps - I thought I saw your condo here today - if u get a chance to see this - lets keep all ur info in one condo, one thread per kitty per day - we can always move things over so it stays in one thread..hang on for feedback!

15. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Sorry how do I keep everything in one condo? sorry still learning! I am starting to get the hang of home testing but not totally comfortable with it!

16. Helene & Tizon

Re: 2/15 Scrabble PMPS instructions

Ok...

I'm (so I'm the one getting noodled) of the opinion that:
    - because you are still learning to home test and let's face it need a little bit more practice,
    - because Scrabble's BG is 121 (which is less than 150 - see sticky viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147 ) and if.... Scrabble was to go a touch lower and you'd be very frustrated to face a low cat and no blood,
    - because there isn't enough data to know how Scrabble reacts to insulin and it boils down to a safety issue

I think, I would be inclined to say skip the shot tonight.
    What do you think?

17. Ronnie & Luna

just like u just did!! No worries, some of us just get mixed up - including me - where do I answer? lol
    keep at it in this thread - this is ur thread/condo for the day!

ur good!

18. Ronnie & Luna

Re: 2/15 Scrabble PMPS instructions

Michelle, if u choose to go no shot - it would be really interesting to see what Scrabble does with this blue.
    Without the added pressure of trying to get the blood sample with a shot in there, would u be able to take some practice time tonight for at least one, say around +3 or so?

hang on ok? just stand by for a sec

19. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Ronnie has a good point, you do need to get more comfortable testing so maybe that's a good way to spend the evening.

20. Helene & Tizon

I vote for the practice testing evening too...

also... and perhaps you know this already. Please make sure you have a few cans of high carb (HC) food in your house. For example, a couple of cans of fancy feast of the grilled variety or pretty much anything 15+ carbs or higher in the Janet and Binky's list is good to have on hand. You won't need it tonight (if you've chosen to skip the shot), however, it's better to have it in the house than to run to the store at the last minute.

The reference for this kit is called a hypo kit... but it's more like a superhero kit!

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great plan here!! Once you are more comfortable with testing, you'll be in a better place to shoot a lower number. Now, between not having enough data and transitioning off of dry food, not shooting is a safer course. Also, it's a a great idea for you to do some practice poking! I'm really interested in seeing how Scrabble does with no insulin given where his numbers have been all day.

To change your subject line, go to your first post of the day. There's a button on the top right above your message text that's labeled, "edit". Click that button, the screen will refresh and you can change anything in the post -- your subject line or the content of the test. You can do this for any message you author.

22. Ronnie & Luna

Hey Michelle,

what was the lady's name that helped u with home testing? Sherri? If ur comfortable contacting her for a refresher, might help to ease ur worries. but in all honesty Michelle, it just takes practice, before u know it - ur a pro! and Scrabble gets the hang of it too - helps to entice with yummy little treats too.

So try tonite ok? at least one either about 3 or 4 hours after what would of been ur shot time or just before bedtime.

23. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Ok sorry ladies I am getting the hang of this! Just changed subject line. I called Sherry and we decided not to give him his pm shot. I am going to retest in a couple of hours and hopefully get some #'s up for tonight. Keep checking on me if you can so I can figure out what is going on! Thanks! What if his amps # is still low?

24. Ronnie & Luna

whats ur daytime schedule like tomorrow? keep asking questions tonite, so we can prepare for tomorrow.

25. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

I am home during the day tomorrow all day until 430pm. I work nights. Scrabble's shoot schedule is 4am & 4pm.

26. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Michelle -

I think you did the right thing by not giving him his shot, since you don't have much data on how he will react - and plus, you changed him to all canned diet, right?

Just be prepared that you might see some high numbers for his AMPS tomorrow - but don't freak out if you do, it happens, and you can get him back on track with his usual shot.

27. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks Jennifer, I was almost going to call you to ask you what to do but couldn't find your phone number. I did call Sherry and she was very helpful!!! I am going to test him again at 7. Today was the first day of absolutely no dry and no cat treats(high carb one's). I am hoping this is a positive sign!!! :)

28. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 2/15 Scrabble pmps121/no shot +2 216

+2 was 216, is this normal for it to jump?

29. Ronnie & Luna

keep in mind there was no shot this morning and you have food in there too right? u fed Scrabble around PMPS time, let's try for another test in a couple of hours at the most.

good job grabbing this +2!!

30. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Yes he did have food, fed him around 330 and he was supposed to have his shot at 4pm. My schedule is 4am/4pm for shot. His last shot was 4am. He is eating now, will do another test in 2hours. Thanks for the encouragement! Scrabble is gonna hate me by the end of the night, lol!

31. Ronnie & Luna

Scrabble wont hate ya!! and ur doing th best u can for him to get healthier!
    He's awfully cute in that pic! All rollee polleee :D

32. Sherry & Squirt (GA)

Sherry & Squirt (GA) Member

Good job on getting test! Love the new picture of him- just fyi your +2 is really +14 remember no shot at 4pm. He is gonna go up so don't worry about the number you get at amps. You will be home tomorrow to get a +3 and +6 (7am and 10 am our time) and this is gonna give us alot of info as to how Scrabble is responds to insulin. Hang in there and call me if you need to :)
    (((((hugs)))))
    Sherry

33. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

+5 is 392!! will test again amps, gonna go to bed soon, hopefully!

34. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

this is good data for us to have, now we know that Scrabble will normally go up quickly after +12. Lantus takes a couple of hours to kick in usually, so if you had shot at the 121, he would have been at least 216 before the insulin started working. We didn't have that information before so good job getting it! Now we know (until Scrabble changes the rules on us again). :lol:

35. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Good glad I am helping him! The testing is getting easier and he doesn't seem to mind as much, I think I mind more than him! Curious what his preshot number will be, gotta try and get some sleep, this has been a hard week for sleep for me worrying about my boy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.