2-16 Bear/AMPS 358/+5 395/+9 404/+11.25 420/PMPS 442/+3 334

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bear & Lora, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

Previous Day

Bear's numbers have improved on this dose but with very few green numbers.
    In his best interest I am holding on his current dose to see if his numbers will improve more.
    I have my doubts a reduction would hold or benefit Bear.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

The 14% seemed to bring bear up nicely from that 49, and he doesn't seem to have spent much time in green so I can see your reasoning. Just be aware that not taking a reduction when it is due can result in an overfull depot, which can see you fighting go keep numbers up, so keep half an eye on that.

That all said, did you know that once you get to 5u you do dose increases in 0.5u steps, so when you took bear up from 5u it should have been up to 5.5u, by going to 5,25 it's more akin to someone on 1u fattening the dose.
    eg if a kitty is on 1u going up to 1.25 represents a 25% increase in dose
    but if kitty is on 5 u going up to 5.25u represents a 5% increase in dose.
    going up slower might be a contributing factor for not seeing better numbers.

Hope that makes sense.

3. Bear & Lora

Yes, it makes absolute sense. :)

The thought behind the .25 increase was that Bear has been a big bouncer and toward the later cycles on the 5 u dose Bear wasn't as reactive to yellow and blue.
    Before that Bear was reacting more dramatically to yellow and blue with larger bounces in the high reds and sometimes black.
    I am thrilled to see any progress being made which entails reducing bounces since Bear has had DKA, beside the fact that higher BG is not good for any feline.
    My thinking might have been flawed but I felt like a smaller increase could possibly keep Bear's survival instinct/bounces to a minimum and allow his body to have more time in these numbers to acclimate without feeling they were a huge threat.
    Larger increase = Larger threat, end result being Larger bounce?

I know switching to SLGS would give Bear more time in doses but I think he is prone to glucose toxicity.
    I think SLGS would just exasperate glucose toxicity.

4. Bear & Lora

@Gill & George
    I think Bear should be at 5.5u at this point but his dip into the greens has stalled the increase.

5. Bear & Lora

His reaction to green is still quite dramatic. :banghead: