2/16 Buzzy AMPS (220) = 1U; +3 (243); +5.5 (279); PMPS (332) = 1U FS?; +2 (259)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by toomanycats, Feb 16, 2020.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...6-5-345-8-367-pmps-420-1u-2-363-4-318.225681/

crappy morning.
    Buzzy SUPER wiggly, insulin super hard to draw, not 100% sure I even got it in him, jabbed my own finger w/ the needle -.-
    this day can end now

Question from comments moved here too:

I have a question based on what I was seeing in another thread about TR's requirement of 2 tests per cycle.

I am trying to do TR, but I will not be able to get 2 tests on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday daytime cycles. Does this boot me from TR totally?

I will get at least 2 tests every other cycle but those, and I was planning to plan increases to avoid increasing on those cycles/days.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    LilTurkey likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Buzzy was giving you a hard time this morning and that you jabbed yourself with the needle...I promise you that all of this gets so much better with time...

I was sure when we started this journey that Luci was doomed...there was no way she was going to cooperate for any of this stuff - testing multiple times a day, getting a shot twice a day! It was all preposterous to me that this girl - a free flying spirit of a cat was ever going to settle down and behave like the cats I was seeing in the videos - sitting there WAITING for the ear test or the shot - but I said to myself - either I'm going to do this or she's going to die - it was that simple. It became very black and white for me - do it or let her go...and I just became determined that I was going to try my best before it came down to that....and here we are over two years later - she sits there and purrs through the test - no she doesn't like being poked in the ear, but it's brief and she gets lots of loving - and always gets some food or a treat...and she stands still for the shot - she won't sit down for it...because she's just that way...but at least she doesn't try to get away or go all crazy wiggly on me any more...

She seems to understand the 'routine' and knows when she hears the alarm on my phone exactly what it means...Buzzy will get there - cats seem to like routine - just keep doing the same thing in the same place over and over...he'll surprise you one day!

3. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Ooh he was just hungry & anxious for food (wiggly for test), and I was half asleep. He wasn't being mean, just couldn't hold still. I think you may have shared something like that before -- "either I'm going to do this or she's going to die" -- that's pretty much what I tell myself. "Not doing this is not an option, so no matter how much I want to throw my hands up and be like "FINE DON'T GET TESTED," I can't. So best not to lose my temper since that'll just make him cooperate less." ...he is totally fine during mid-day tests. Doesn't even need/ask for a treat after each test. But when he's hungry, he's impatient. Like me, actually lol. Also I'm just...really tired. And I'm not able to go back to sleep after testing. Once I am up, I'm up. I'm used to being up at 5 every day, but keeping myself awake til after 9 is a challenge (lol I sound so old). And we have to go get our 3-year-old from her grandparents' today, so the parenting demand will be back after lunch. ...tired.

LilTurkey and Sue and Luci like this.
  4. Sue and Luci

I hope you can get some sleep at some point...sounds like me...I can't sleep in the mornings - often waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. ugh...hate that! But once I'm up...I'm up...no going back to sleep...at least not until late afternoon or around dinner time when I can hardly keep my eyes open..hate that too! Too early to go to bed!!:rolleyes:

Sorry if I repeat myself:facepalm:

Good luck with your full plate today!!

toomanycats and LilTurkey like this.
  5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I was the same as Sue said, I just knew Bella was doomed, you will get it, they always used to tell me...patience
    Have a great day and try and relax

Si am cat mom and toomanycats like this.
  6. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Thank you both @Sue and Luci & @Bellasmom
    I'll try to relax today lol. I already hit the gym & I'm going to be baking some cherry almond scones here in a minute :)

He's gone up at +3, but I'm not surprised. At least he's yellow-y

Sue and Luci and Bellasmom like this.
  7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Oooooo yummy

8. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

NDW for us I imagine. Buzzy...ya goin' in the wrong direction all the time mr. man.

9. Sue and Luci

Cherry almond scones!!!?? YUM!!! I'll have my tea and scones, please and thank you!! :)

10. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I have a question based on what I was seeing in another thread about TR's requirement of 2 tests per cycle.

I am trying to do TR, but I will not be able to get 2 tests on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday daytime cycles. Does this boot me from TR totally?

I will get at least 2 tests every other cycle but those, and I was planning to plan increases to avoid increasing on those cycles/days.

11. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

Are you able to get a +1 test at the least on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday?
    I work Monday through Thursday and am not able able to get a midday cycle test in but I always get a +1-1.5 test before I leave for work.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

No, I am not.
    I test around 5:15/5:20AM and am out the door by 5:30AM.

I could feasibly do a +11, but he will 100% expect food as a reward, which would throw off PMPS.

13. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

Maybe get some Pure Bites freeze dried chicken for a treat? If you can get a +11, you could give him a piece of freeze dried chicken as a small treat, I don’t think that affects the pre shot BG.

Si am cat mom and Sue and Luci like this.
  14. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

He doesn't like any of the freeze-dried treats. I usually give him a teeny bit of his normal LC wet food as the treat. But at 4:30pm, he'd 100% be expecting dinner - he is always RAVENOUS by then and super hard to test because of it.

Like literally I've fed him some mid-day and he's already begging me for food now at 2:30pm -.-

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Ok to give Buzzy some food earlier during the 12 hour cycle. Simply try not to feed Buzzy within 2 hours of the pre-shot tests.

16. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Right, I know, and I did (he ate again at 10am, and I'm going to try the "frozen cubes of food" tactic when I'm at work). I guess the only remaining question is, if I go for a +11, will it throw off PMPS to give him a teeny bit of food as a "treat" at +11?

17. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I swear I question if every single shot is a FS.
    I hope this one wasn't, but I gently pet his fur after, and it was wet & came away smelling of Lantus. But, the needle had also been a little wet before going in, so idk. UGH. I tried REALLY HARD to ENSURE it went in, but I always second guess.

Guess time will tell

18. Deb & Wink

A teeny bit of food at +11 will influence the BG readings a little bit. Takes about 20 minutes to see a food influence.
    But right now, Buzzy is in such high numbers, >200, >300, it's not something I''d be too concerned about.

When the BG tests/levels/numbers/readings are over 150, a little bit of food, even within the 2 hours before pre-shot tests are not going to change the dosing decision.

It's when the BG levels are down <150 at pre-shot, under 100 at pre-shot that the food may be a concern.
    If you are "stalling" to get a BG reading high enough to shoot, than the food before the pre-shot test may be a concern.

Buzzy isn't there yet. <150 mg/dL at pre-shot or even at mid-cycle (nadir).

How small of a bit of food are we talking here? 1/2 a can or 1/4 can, way too much.
    Tiny 1/2 a teaspoon, not so big a deal.

19. Deb & Wink

Shoot in the scruff? on the flanks, belly? elsewhere?
    Shooting
    We all have our own techniques for shooting but just a few thoughts and others may bring some of their ideas in as well.
    • Injection sites:
    You can shoot the scruff, side of chest, side of belly, side of flank....wherever your kitty is comfortable and you have the least chance of doing a fur shot.

[​IMG]
    You could try clipping the fur really short, with a blunt tipped pair of scissors.
    If they were all fur shots, I really doubt that you would be seeing those nice yellow range colors on the SS.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  20. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

@Deb & Wink
    About half a tsp of food.
    I shoot in the sides of the chest. I pretty much always second guess whether I got it in to be honest - I think just me second guessing everything always forever, heh.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

259 at +2 tonight...this cat's numbers confuse me sometimes with the up during the day and down at night so frequently. I assume it's bc we've not had a stable dose for many cycles, so his body is like "what...are you doing to me" heh

Deb & Wink likes this.
  22. Sue and Luci

Could be the depot talking...if it really was a FS...no way to know for sure...maybe a little got in...

Keep working on it...it'll get better with time :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  23. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I mean I like to think it ALL got in. I am pretty darn firm and focused with it lol. I just second guess myself every single time! It's tough bc I overdrew and had to push some out before injecting so, you know, kinda gets everywhere...

I'm still not sure when insulin tends to kick in for him bc of all the wonkiness -- only that he does always tend to go down at the night time +2 -- so it's hard to know. More data needed!

I'm calling it a night since his numbers are high; taking advantage and getting to sleep early!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. Sue and Luci

I might still try to get a test around mid-cycle tonight - just to see how low his maybe dose will take him...yep, nighttime is the right time for a lot of these kitties...they just love to surf by moonlight!

Si am cat mom and Deb & Wink like this.
  25. Deb & Wink

Half a teaspoon of food isn't much. And if it helps you to get a BG test, go for it.

26. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Not tonight. I can't do it tonight. I'll need to be up by 4:45AM to dose him on time tomorrow, and I am spent.
    EDIT to add:
    I'm working from home tomorrow, so I can test mid-day etc. tomorrow.
    I'm going to try to give myself mental breaks like this when I can -- when I know I'll be around the next day & his numbers are safe looking.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  27. Deb & Wink

Understood. Exhaustion. Need your sleep. Tomorrow.